Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Battlelore was at rank ~35 last I checked it (yesterday, I think), and now it's in the twenties; and its average is still ~8.5. It seems almost a foregone conclusion now that it will enter the top 10, thereby surpassing C&C:A as well as Memoir '44--which I personally feel is deserved, but whatever.
There will no doubt be many, many more ratings given--it hasn't yet cracked 300--and we have reason to suspect that many of them will be negative, as there is already a mini-backlash against Battlelore's alleged shallowness and reliance on luck (I won't comment on the validity of such claims, merely that they are being made). There is no reason to suppose, however, that of the hundreds of ratings to pour in (I would be SHOCKED if Battlelore ended up receiving fewer votes than C&C:A in the long run--it's being more widely distributed and has prettier bits with a comparable price-point) all would be negative.
Anyway. Musings. I think the BGG top 10 will look different soon. I just wonder how different. I think PR is safe (although I'm not 100% certain), but I wonder how T&E will fare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to make the same post! Also noting that it is now in 2nd place on the Wargames chart, while having about 5 times as many votes as the game in first place.

I reckon it will hit 4th place on the main chart before sinking back to the 9th-12th spot. Something like that happened to War of the Ring. On Wargames it will soon be overtaken by all those niche games whom it stood on on the way up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Irvine
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that BattleLore is just the sort of perfect storm to rise quickly and make a permanent place for itself in the Top 10. It appeals to a very large cross-section of Boardgamegeeks. It's well produced. It's a superior product to Memoir '44 and C&C: Ancients, both of which are in the Top 20. And Days of Wonder has been a real class act about supporting their game with above-and-beyond customer service. My prediction--it hits number 2 and then settles out in the middle of the Top 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to realize that people who played Battlecry or C&C:A or Memoir and didn't care for it won't buy this game. So it's only rated by people who like the system already and the ratings itself are pre-filtered from people who dislike it. After it's up on the ratings for a while and new people to the hobby buy it and some of them don't like it, you'll see it drop a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:
You have to realize that people who played Battlecry or C&C:A or Memoir and didn't care for it won't buy this game. So it's only rated by people who like the system already and the ratings itself are pre-filtered from people who dislike it. After it's up on the ratings for a while and new people to the hobby buy it and some of them don't like it, you'll see it drop a little.

Exactly right. I was just going to make this point. Since BL is by now a "known quantity" (given the other C&C games) and that the information surrounding the game prerelease was extensive, there should be few people buying or rating who didn't know what they were getting and, what's more, want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You have to realize that people who played Battlecry or C&C:A or Memoir and didn't care for it won't buy this game.

Although, if you watch Board Games With Scott, he says he didn't care for any of the previous C&C games all that much but really enjoys BattleLore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of sounding like Elaine Bennis, that intital "Wow" in the subject line really deserves an exclamation point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
At the risk of sounding like Elaine Bennis, that intital "Wow" in the subject line really deserves an exclamation point

It was a sedate, contemplative, reflective wow. I stand by my punctuation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No chance, at least within a 2 year timeframe. Puerto Rico has over 7,000 ratings and is more than .2 above its nearest rival. It is going to be No.1 for the forseeable future. Whether you like it or notrobot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:

This isn't going to stop people who disliked the earlier trilogy giving it a low rank to get it's rating down without ever playing it.
You know this is going to happen.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:
You have to realize that people who played Battlecry or C&C:A or Memoir and didn't care for it won't buy this game.

Although, if you watch Board Games With Scott, he says he didn't care for any of the previous C&C games all that much but really enjoys BattleLore.

A good friend of mine said the same thing. He didn't like Memoir (traded it) and was just so-so on C&Cs (traded it) but played BL and thought it was good. The Lore cards being able save a lousy roll were one of the things he liked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now no.1 on the wargames chart and 15 on the main chart.

Shills either way should be caught by the shillbusting tachniques used in compiling the main chart. Of course, on the wargames chart this doesn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:

There are a hell of a lot more people than that playing this game. DoW did a wonderful job marketing this system, and many many C&C newbies are flocking to this wargame. Besides, its similarity to M44 and C&C:A only helped it, as those games are thought of highly and ranked well!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Shills either way should be caught by the shillbusting tachniques used in compiling the main chart.

You know that torture? The one in the new James Bond film? The one with the bamboo chair?

That's what we should do with the shills...

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands and Colors: Ancients also had a similar ranking of over 8.5 at first but it has come down a little since then. I think BattleLore will do the same but it should be a permanent member of the top 10. As for superior products, I would not say BattleLore is overall superior to CC:A, it depends upon people's preferences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I think BL has a much better chance of getting up there and holding on to a top spot then any of the other games in the series.

It's cause of the theme of the game. Fantasy is going to appeal to alot of people, more so then ancient battles I'd say. Not sure if it's more then WW2, but BL is a better game then M'44, which should help it beat that out.

Honestly, I think this game will pull in alot of people who don't like the other C&C games. It's more complex then them (or just as complex in the case of C&C:A), with a more appealing theme for alot of people AND it looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Battlelore is no longer top of the Wargames Rankings: it has fallen to third (It is still above DAK2, the previous no.1). And it has shown no movement on the main chart, remaining at 10...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to 8 on the main chart. Down to 4 on wargames, DAK2 has now passed it.

If Battlelore wasn't there, Twilight Struggle would be in the top 10angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 on the main chart, 2 on the Wargames chart. Next target on the main chart is the vulnerable Princes of Florence, which has been sinking slowly down the top 10 for at least a year.

Should be lots more ratings after Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 on the main chart, 1 on the Wargames chart. Next up on the main chart is El Grande, which I think Battlelore will take about 2 weeks to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Christmas ratings should start pouring in soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 on the Main chart, 2 on the Wargames chart.

El Grande fell faster than I thought. Next up is Power Grid, a whole .11 ahead of Battlore at the moment. I predicted Battlelore would peak at 4th place...we shall see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Aguila
Chile
Puerto Montt
Chile
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:

You are totally right on this. It's my case: MM44 some fun...I bought CCA and after one play I sold it....too much luck involved and there isn't a real option to get some strategy.

Of course I don't want to try BL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marioaguila wrote:
taraba wrote:

You are totally right on this. It's my case: MM44 some fun...I bought CCA and after one play I sold it....too much luck involved and there isn't a real option to get some strategy.

Same here. There is a huge contingent of "Eurosnoots" like myself on this website that have no interest in trying this game, and if I did I'm pretty sure I'd rate it something like a 3 or 4. But of course I'm not a shill (and I'm afraid of that guy who posted earlier on this thread who wants to whack my balls) so I'm not going to rate the game unless I get the chance to play it. As a consequence of so many people like myself knowing already to steer clear of a game we wouldn't like, the ratings are going to be inflated. The same crap is already happening with Shogun, which is a reprint of Wallenstein. Most people who would give Wally a subpar rating will unlikely be trying and thus not rating Shogun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
marioaguila wrote:

I hope you don't mean to say M44 has less luck that C&C:A! And getting rid of game after one play is generally a bad idea.... then again it took me a few plays to confirm my initial impression that M44 is indeed too childish for my tastes... although I do find C&C:A satisfying. Still waiting to try BL. I have no idea were it will end up in the charts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.