United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions based on the 2006 Zman Version

Question 1 -
What is considered reaching the island? Is it the last row indicated by the wave markings (the forth row) or is one more move required to move the boat actually up on the island?

Question 2 -
In situations where boats have been remove, either by reaching an island or sinking. Can people still vote for this boat to move or get a link? If so what happens if this boat wins the vote?
My assumption is you can not, but last night there were only two boats left and three others wanted to move a boat that was already at an island. Their plan was to make no boat move so they could sink it. We did not allow this to happen but I want to make sure this is correct.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosmores wrote:
Questions based on the 2006 Zman Version

Question 1 -
What is considered reaching the island? Is it the last row indicated by the wave markings (the forth row) or is one more move required to move the boat actually up on the island?

Question 2 -
In situations where boats have been remove, either by reaching an island or sinking. Can people still vote for this boat to move or get a link? If so what happens if this boat wins the vote?
My assumption is you can not, but last night there were only two boats left and three others wanted to move a boat that was already at an island. Their plan was to make no boat move so they could sink it. We did not allow this to happen but I want to make sure this is correct.

Thanks

we play that the white boat in the picture below would be on the island if it moved again.

once a boat has landed or sunk its out. it can not be voted on to do anything. You were correct.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter L
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Why are you looking at this??
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the boats reaching the island, we played it that the last move actually moved the boat onto the island.

This didn't appear in the rules anywhere, but we based this on the back of the box -- the picture shows a boat in the last slot, with a bunch of passengers. We figured that if a boat actually had reached the island, it would have had all of its passengers removed and it would have moved to the side of the board.

It's not great reasoning -- the back of the box often contains random pictures -- but this seemed to make sense, since the rules didn't say anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xver wrote:
The first question, was unclear too at our gaminggroup. we played till the last marked row, but in my opinion that was unsatisfied.

There is an other question which came up, if there is only one boat left the voting which boate moves forward and which gets a leak dont have to be played. Cos there are no alternatives. And is there still the panic-phase? where one sailor jumps out of a boat, so the startplayer automatically lose one sailor in this phase because there isnt a boat left where he can jump in instead of his own.

A translation of the German game was very clear on this. When you only got one boat all the normal stuff happens (and it's the only one to vote on), *but* the jump out of boat phase is skipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romsaer wrote:
Regarding the boats reaching the island, we played it that the last move actually moved the boat onto the island.

This didn't appear in the rules anywhere, but we based this on the back of the box -- the picture shows a boat in the last slot, with a bunch of passengers. We figured that if a boat actually had reached the island, it would have had all of its passengers removed and it would have moved to the side of the board.

I see your point, but the general convention in games is usually that the the last space you can land in is the last space marked on the baord, so when the boat is in that last space, it is at the island and is done. If we assume the picture is not random, then it may have been taken just as a boat reached the island and before the pawns were taken off for scoring.

Of course it could be like Backgammon where the last space is off the board.

Given the lack of a definitive rule, I'd play that the last marked space is where the boat ends, just to help keep the game length down. I guess it doesn't matter that much as long as everyone understands which is the last space, since it takes a vote to move the boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But how can you get out of boat when right on island? Boat bigger than island! (insert random bad English accent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting technical with the rulebook, in regards to phase 2: you move the boat one row closer towards the islands. To me, this indicates that you only move boats onto the clearly marked spaces.

This agrees with what common sense should tell you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Niezelski
United States
Seymour
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an official ruling on this? I'm not particularly convinced by either argument...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this one: the game would drag on too long if you were to add an additional row?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have played both ways. I like both ways.

1. If you have to actually place the boat on the island to land on it then it takes one more turn to get each boat to the island. This does not make the game drag on much. This lengthens the game by 3 to 5 turns which means 3 to 5 more leaks. So it leads to more boats sinking. The game gets nastier. The sinking of boats becomes the main factor in determining the winner. I like it.

Sometimes the last boats cannot even make it to the island without sinking so the game ends a bit early.

2. With groups that want less "take that" I have the passenger get out when the boats reaches the last space before the island. Less boats sink. The game is 3 to 5 turns. Here being on the boats that go to high point islands is the main factor that leads to winning.

An official ruling would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fahr Thiago
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Romsaer wrote:

It's not great reasoning -- the back of the box often contains random pictures -- but this seemed to make sense, since the rules didn't say anything at all.

I agree with you, and I really think there's no reason to put one row just to people move the boat and immediately put it out of the board. I've always play it with four movements to reach the island and the time is very good. Thinking about the fact that each person has three "captain's hat" reinforces my idea that 4 moves are necessary to reach the island...
Only my opinion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.