Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessie Karpus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be You
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I recently bought Android:Netrunner. We have played the game twice, and both times it has been a wash.

I have played the corporation both times.

The first game I played as the Weyland Corporation. I was doing okay, but my husband realized he had played several cards that he shouldn't have so we stopped playing.

The second time I played as the Haas-Bioroid and I just was not getting cards to give me credits. I had no way of rezzing my face-down cards. My husband and I agreed to stop playing because I was getting no-where.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good starting Corporation hand? Or what cards should I have to help get me credits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I normally keep any hand that has enough ice to defend both R&D and HQ and often I even keep a hand that can only defend HQ. Why? Well, you may mulligan into something worse!

Still, you don't want to keep a hand full of agendas in case the Runner drops an icebreaker and hits it over and over. So yeah, just try to keep a hand that isn't going to make you lose if the opponent decides to look into it.

As far as economy cards go, try to have 9-12 of them in your deck (9 if your identity generates cash you can spend on ICE, 12 otherwise) and remember you can always click for credits which you should often do.

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haas-Bioroid and Weyland are the two best corporations for getting money in the core set. If you're feeling strapped for cash, remember that you don't NEED to rez every piece of ice during every run. Prioritize your defenses. If you still feel like you need more economy, import some from another faction using the deckbuilding rules listed in the back of the game manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Don't forget that as an action you can just take credits from the bank. You don't need a card to do it. And with core HB installing a card will get you a credit too. On your first turn you'll want to install 2 ice, but every turn after that should typically be install 1 thing and take 2 credits. You should only be deviating from that if you're extremely rich or scoring something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, using actions to take credits is fine, plus HB earns credits from installing stuff too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing just about everything that's been said so far: the ideal first turn is basically ice, ice, hedge fund, but pretty much any starting hand with more ice than agendas is a good one (unless they're all Archers or Hadrian's Walls or something). And you can spend influence on out-of-faction econ cards if you need to, but the default Weyland and HB decks should have enough, bearing in mind that clicking for credits is the most common action that either you or the runner will perform.

One more piece of advice that hasn't come up yet (it's an oldie but a goodie): try switching sides. The corp game is all about feeling extremely vulnerable and knowing that you can only defend a fraction of the servers you need to and desperately hoping he doesn't run that one. So if you've only played corp, it can be hard to believe that from the runner's POV you're this massive intimidating fortress that forces him to be everywhere at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Forgive me for asking, but I have to check as new players sometimes make this error - are you shuffling the neutral cards into your decks as well? You're going to have a worse time as any corp in the core set without your Hedge Fund, Melange Mining and PAD Campaigns if you're not including them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
One more piece of advice that hasn't come up yet (it's an oldie but a goodie): try switching sides. The corp game is all about feeling extremely vulnerable and knowing that you can only defend a fraction of the servers you need to and desperately hoping he doesn't run that one. So if you've only played corp, it can be hard to believe that from the runner's POV you're this massive intimidating fortress that forces him to be everywhere at once.

YES. YES, oh man oh man, YES.

Because once each gain that perspective and that understanding... THAT'S when the mind games begin. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Karpus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be You
mbmbmbmbmb
CommissarFeesh wrote:
Forgive me for asking, but I have to check as new players sometimes make this error - are you shuffling the neutral cards into your decks as well? You're going to have a worse time as any corp in the core set without your Hedge Fund, Melange Mining and PAD Campaigns if you're not including them.

Yes, I did shuffle in the neutral cards. I looked after the second deck and the Melange Mining was at the bottom of the deck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessie Karpus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be You
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
Echoing just about everything that's been said so far: the ideal first turn is basically ice, ice, hedge fund, but pretty much any starting hand with more ice than agendas is a good one (unless they're all Archers or Hadrian's Walls or something). And you can spend influence on out-of-faction econ cards if you need to, but the default Weyland and HB decks should have enough, bearing in mind that clicking for credits is the most common action that either you or the runner will perform.

My husband and I will switch sides eventually. We are both getting a feel for how the game plays. I think once we feel we have a handle on how to play, we will switch sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes rules are missed which change the game. Remember that you can use an action (click) to gain a credit. You can even use all your clicks to gain credits, it's not limited to once per turn. Also keep in mind that ice stays in play even after it's broken, it doesn't go away. Ice should typically be used on R&D, HQ, and a remote scoring server; don't feel like you have to protect PAD Campaigns etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The suggested default decks from the core box are a bit iffy. Here's a good thread with custom ones (only using one core set):
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/22497/teaching-decks-begi...

I think for new players Criminal/Shaper and HB/Wayland as listed there are the best picks since they are the most straightforward to play and teach great fundamentals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new cycle, NBN is kinda DoA with all the tag killers, but the other 3 look still playable.

Wayland has always been my favorite with all the 'tools' it has, but Jenteki has it's charms to. Kinda just hang around till the runner kills himself on your cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Icedanno wrote:
With the new cycle, NBN is kinda DoA with all the tag killers, but the other 3 look still playable.

Wayland has always been my favorite
what.

I don't even agree with the argument anyway, but the premise that tags are harder to land/stick lends itself to Wayland having a harder time, not NBN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, a lot of NBN ice doesn't even have end run, it just counts on tags or the threat of tags and with with all these tag avoiders, erasers, and nulifiers, that means the runner can often just blow by the NBN ice without a care in the world.

I agree that Wayland is more about USING the tags once you land them and they are also really hurt by the latest cycle of runner love, but Wayland has a ton of other options ice wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Icedanno wrote:
Well, a lot of NBN ice doesn't even have end run, it just counts on tags or the threat of tags and with with all these tag avoiders, erasers, and nulifiers, that means the runner can often just blow by the NBN ice without a care in the world.

I agree that Wayland is more about USING the tags once you land them and they are also really hurt by the latest cycle of runner love, but Wayland has a ton of other options ice wise.

If you look at the D&D stuff going around today, I think you'll change your mind. Pachinko is going to be as good if not better than Eli imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mixer
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Link for the win!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of too many cases where that would be true. Pach is useless without tags, and there are so many ways for the runner to avoid them now.

Also... D&D?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Icedanno wrote:
I can't think of too many cases where that would be true. Pach is useless without tags, and there are so many ways for the runner to avoid them now.

Also... D&D?

Data & Destiny
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1409931/data-and-destiny-fu...

For those who don't know. See Sync.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.