6 Posts

Samurai Spirit» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is this move legal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
In a three-player game with the following characters in order: Daisuke, Heihachi, and Kikuchiyo. Is the following legal?
1- Daisuke chooses Support, gives his Talent token to Kikuchiyo.
2- Heihachi draws an even-numbered card, gives it to Kikuchiyo.
3- Kikuchiyo, after Fighting that card, uses his Talent and chooses Fight again, draws an odd card, hands it to Daisuke.
4- Now it's Kikuchiyo's turn and he still has Daisuke's token.

From what I understand, Talents can be used when it's not your turn, and Kikuchiyo's Talent is activated whenever he Fights. He also doesn't lose Daisuke's token until the end of his own turn, and so he doesn't lose it during Heihachi's turn.Antoine Bauza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C
Australia
Glen Iris
VIC - Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems totally legal to me. Triggering Talents when it's not a Samurai's turn is a pretty crucial strategy for surviving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't believe that is legal. Per rules page 6:

"The Samurai who received your support token benefits from your talent on his next turn."

Also, the clarification further down states:

"A Samurai can receive support from several fellow players, and during
his next turn
, he can benefit from ALL the corresponding talents."

Otherwise support would be too powerful.

-Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
PhilFromIT wrote:

"The Samurai who received your support token benefits from your talent on his next turn."

But is it Kikuchiyo's turn, or is it still Heihachi's (who still has the active player marker)?

Quote:

his next turn

-Phil

Per the FAQ in the back of the rulebook:

"Yes, the talents can be accumulated and a player can also use his Samurai's talent when it is not his turn."

But the question I have is: is that limited to ONLY their own talent, or do Support talents also count? It doesn't seem very clear to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
PhilFromIT wrote:

But is it Kikuchiyo's turn, or is it still Heihachi's (who still has the active player marker)?

On a normal turn you have 3 options; Fight, support or pass. When somebody passes you a card via their talent, you can only fight so I don't believe this constitutes a turn.

islan wrote:

Quote:

his next turn

-Phil

Per the FAQ in the back of the rulebook:

"Yes, the talents can be accumulated and a player can also use his Samurai's talent when it is not his turn."

But the question I have is: is that limited to ONLY their own talent, or do Support talents also count? It doesn't seem very clear to me.

I took "his Samurai's talent" to mean the one on the characters card. Technically talents passed to your Samurai via support are not his talents.

Anyhow, that is how I play and having played other Antoine Bauza games (well Ghost Stories), I think it is supposed to be very hard. That being said, I could be wrong. You could always try playing that way and see if it is too easy. Right now I am 1 win and 5 losses when playing solo with 3 characters.

-Phil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not really sure how easy it makes it; all it does is let you use a Support talent for more than one turn, but only if you get passed a card from either Daisuke or Heihachi.

It would seem odd if Support talents are treated exactly like your own talent, except when it's not your active turn, without it being explicitly spelled out. (if we were to take the rules literally, you can't even use your own talent on other people's turns, since you can only use it on cards that "you draw", but the FAQ rules against that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.