Lori Four Bears
msg tools
My 11yo daughter and I are visiting 2 families in Germany in a couple weeks. I'm looking for suggestions of games to bring as gifts - obviously NOT GERMAN GAMES.

FAMILY 1
mom
dad
girl 8
girl 6
family is fluent in German & English.

FAMILY 2
mom
dad
boy 12
girl 11
family is fluent in German & Arabic.

My daughter & I will be spending a week with each family.
mom
girl 11
I speak a bunch of languages, but my daughter just English.

What do we like?

Machi Koro
Coup
Pastiche
Survive! Escape from Atlantis
Tokaido
Hanabi
Morels
Ticket to Ride
Dixit
Clue
King of Tokyo
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Rat a Tat Cat
Citadels
Jaipur
Love Letter
Mille Bourne
Indigo
Sleeping Queens
Settlers of Catan
Camel Up
The Big Fat Tomato Game
Mascarade (but only w/10+ people)
Miya
Mapominoes
Sushi Go
Dweebies

So, we're looking for things like that. Are Gamewright games available in Germany? I'm thinking maybe things not easily found there...

We'd really like to take Machi Koro to family 2, but think it might be pretty well-known there...

For family 1, maybe Sleeping Queens & Rat a Tat Cat?

Thank you SO MUCH for any recommendations or advice. We're leaving July 22nd, and don't live near good game stores, so will probably have to order before we go.

AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark w

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff of Nottingham maybe? but all the bluffing might be weird if you don't know them well enough.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157969/sheriff-nottingha...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Four Bears
msg tools
I like that one!

I only worry that the kids might have trouble with being persuasive, since they don't all speak the same language and the adults will have to be translating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Four Bears
msg tools
Yes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Four Bears
msg tools
...but, I just read in the GERMANY forum that the Machi Koro expansions are not available in Germany, yet, so maybe we can do that for family 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know a specific game. However, one time as host to some Germans, they appeared particularly interested in american indian history. I might make the further guess that the 'old west' might interest them, and both be a bit more available here than there. So, see if there is an appropriately themed game to introduce them to indians and the old west.

Edit: So, theme wise maybe:
Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896
Lewis & Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Four Bears
msg tools
Oh, I agree with the themes! Lewis & Clark has a lot of reading, though. I'll have to think if that could work. In the family with kids old enough for that only the mom speaks English.

Lost Valley I'm not familiar with and will need to look up.

Thank you so much for the ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spurlock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Given that Machi Koro was a Spiel des Jahres Nominee, I would expect the expansions to pop up reasonably quickly.

One thing - though Family A speaks English, their friends may not speak English that well, I always find with my German friends that playing a game in English is no problem, but if there is too much English text, which tends to aim at native speakers, it takes a lot of the fun out, because they need to think about what the cards mean and all of that.

So if you bring an English based game, the kids might not be able to play that with many of their friends.

My other suggestion would be to have a look at amazon.de, for example there is already a German edition of Lewis & Clark on the market.

Games I haven't found in Germany easily are ForSale and Red7, but even that might have been a temporary thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spurlock wrote:

My other suggestion would be to have a look at amazon.de, for example there is already a German edition of Lewis & Clark on the market.

Games I haven't found in Germany easily are ForSale and Red7, but even that might have been a temporary thing.

Both great tips. I have ordered both games from the US, because they were difficult (not impossible) to get. And they are language independent I believe.

Checking Amazon.de will tell you if a game is easily available in Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori Four Bears
msg tools
Great Advice!

I'm not familiar w/Red7 or For Sale. I will look them up. I will also check out offerings on Amazon.de.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Takenoko or Tokaido? Both by the same French designer, both (as it happens) Japanese-themed and both very family-friendly. Oh and both exceptionally attractive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.