Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play my first three-player game tomorrow and am considering using the premade setup to speed up the game. However, I want to know if it's actually fun to play, or if someone else has made a prebuilt map they can recommend?

thanks!
m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a reason why not. the map is reasonably set up and for your first game it makes absolutely sense to use it.

so I'd recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The pre-made map in the learn to play is fine - I've used it for 2/3/4 players.

On the contrary, I've noticed that you can very much screw yourself with tile placement. So I would absolutely recommend it for first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks.

The reason I'm asking is because sometimes introductory scenarios and setups are more aimed at teaching the game than at creating a game at it's full potential. Also, it seems kinda weird that the armies are so isolated, and that also made we wonder about the quality. So if people felt the pre-made map was only okay, I'd rather try and find something else.

m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say go with the pre-made map. Buidling your own map requires you to know the different factions a bit so that you can try to place the tiles to your advantage / their disadvantage. First time players will probably be at risk of placing them to their own disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
mads b. wrote:
thanks.

The reason I'm asking is because sometimes introductory scenarios and setups are more aimed at teaching the game than at creating a game at it's full potential. Also, it seems kinda weird that the armies are so isolated, and that also made we wonder about the quality. So if people felt the pre-made map was only okay, I'd rather try and find something else.

m

They are 'isolated' because the premade map is setup to scale from 2-4 players. But this did not impact our game too much. Everybody was fighting everybody at some (to a varying degree, but that is quite natural). I don't see that any potential of the game is underminded by the map, other that you lose smart play during map building, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I get the reason. I guess I'm just used to Starcraft where you often won't have your starting forces on adjacent systems. Or rather, on systems that seem adjacent since you have all the z-axis navigation-stuff.

m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO use the pre-made setup only if you don't mind a longer game.

The pre-made is so well balanced that it will take longer to play then setting up your own. There is nothing wrong with this just know that going in. Others are correct in saying you can make a blunder if you set up yourself without knowing the nuances of the different factions, but honestly the first time you set up yourself you'll probably do that regardless.

Personally I love setting up the game without the pre-made. It's fun to do and you learn a lot from the mistakes you make plus the games tend to go much quicker. Of course it depends on the people you play with as well, if they will not enjoy/dislike the game because of mistakes they made then you need to consider this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd consider your audience.

If the first-time gamers are seasoned gamers that can handle the consequences of an early blunder, then go ahead and do the setup and build of the map through the players.

But... if you've got a new gamer that will be negatively impacted by a poor setup, go with the pre-built map.

After only one play, I learned a ton about how to setup the board, and I actually look forward to that portion of the game start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be interesting to see some alternate prebuilt maps from BGGers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mads l. brynnum
Denmark
2400 Kbh. NV
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cichlidhead wrote:
I'd consider your audience.

If the first-time gamers are seasoned gamers that can handle the consequences of an early blunder, then go ahead and do the setup and build of the map through the players.

But... if you've got a new gamer that will be negatively impacted by a poor setup, go with the pre-built map.

After only one play, I learned a ton about how to setup the board, and I actually look forward to that portion of the game start.

We could handle it - we've all played a lot of Starcraft and stuff like that. It's more a matter of reducing playtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mads b. wrote:
thanks.

m

It IS designed to teach. The objectives are scattered in such a way that you probably could not replicate it in a regular game, this causes it to be a longer game- very likely to go all 8 rounds. Also for 3 players it creates on odd situation. Chaos and UltraM are entangled from the get-go but Orks are on their own and can stay back.

On average UltraM have objectives further from their home system (3 of 4 are in the opposite corner of the board) is this a disadvantage? Yeah.

Is it surmountable? Yeah... if your opponents don't exploit that fact through vicious control of the middle system and warp storm movement.

I've played 2x as UltraM in the intro scenario. One was an utter defeat despite never losing a defensive combat, the other I had a sneaky retreat to create a path to Chaos home system and pulling a turn that negated 2 of Chaos' actions and created a second home base for me. He almost quit, lol. I then awept up the last 2 objectives the next turn. (All 4 by turn 6!).

The map isn't necessarily "fair" but it is good enough for newbies considering how much they still need to know and get used to before really playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.