Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I have tried to play this game is has taken a very very long time and didn't go very smoothly. All three times I've tried, there ended up being at least 6 or so characters along with 3 or 4 locations in front of each person and with each card being able to do different things, it ended up being very difficult to follow exactly what could be done each turn. Seemed way to fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, this sounds about right. Like most trading card games, it takes a bit to get used to all the text on the cards. Once you're familiar with the more common abilities, and learn the points during a turn when you most often need to check your cards (most commonly - start of plot phase, start of your marshaling, and before and after any challenge involving that card), the game will go quicker.

The first time I played AGoT, it was a 3 player melee game and took almost 4 hours, as we couldn't remember the cards and had to keep referencing the rulebook. The second time was a 4 player game, I had read the rules thoroughly, and it took about 2.5 hours. After that, I played in a local tournament, and the 2 player joust matches took about 30 minutes each.

It also goes faster when you play with a deck you built yourself, since you picked out the cards yourself, and should have some idea of what they do and the general strategy they support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
Honestly, this sounds about right.

The flipside of this is that, for the first few games, people tend to not want to engage in challenges because of how deadly the game is. However, you don't need to have a large number of people on the board in order to win. Most first-time players will just keep building and defending, thinking that there's no way they can do any damage to the other players, until you reach a board state where everyone is untouchable and there's too much going on to keep track of.

Attack! Launch challenges. Hold guys back in your hand for when your guys die (which they will).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Foley
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cluttered board state also tends to happen if you are all using the prebuilt decks from the same single core set. The reason being there will only be 1 Valar Morgholis and 1 Wildfire Assault plots. If everyone is running Valar in their plot deck it helps keep the character count under control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Fox
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, first time, first 3-4 times, oh man long. Once I starting understanding the cards and the deck. Great game 30-45 mins, now mind you this was the first of the lcg's I had ever played so the concepts still new to me. Today, if I had to learn, it would be quicker. Stick with it though, its so much fun once you understand what's going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.