4 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Routed Units being "destroyed" by card? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bell
msg tools
Hello!

Amazing game. My buddy and I had a good playthrough last night with of course tons of questions/rule thingies. This one came up that ended up being big on the final battle...

I played an advanced Chaos Marine combat card, Daemonic Resilience. The unit ability read that the enemy had to destroy one of his units or I gain 4 shield tokens. He opted to destroy a unit. To my chagrin, he destroyed his dinky little routed reinforcement token.

So can ROUTED units be the target of cards that read "destroy a unit" (it did not say unrouted or routed). I would image not because they can't have damage assigned to them. This woulda been huge in our battle. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Moore
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Routed units can't take damage before unrouted units. However, this card isn't dealing damage, it is destroying a unit.

It would be legal in this case to choose a routed unit to be destroyed and avoid the four temporary shield tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, your friend's play was legal. It's true that routed units can't have damage assigned to them while there are unrouted units, and there are several other restrictions on routed units, but this is not one of the restrictions. He may choose a routed unit for a card ability unless the text says otherwise.

By the way, as Chaos, there's another combat upgrade card that says you may destroy your own unit for 4 attack tokens. It works the same way, so feel free to eat that cultist you just routed last round and see how he likes it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bell
msg tools
Thanks everyone for the reply. I figured it was probably OK but it was one of those Jefferon vs. Hamilton things I guess, implicit vs. explicit etc.

It just bummed me out because it seemed like a brilliant play then, wagh wagh waaaaaggghhh.

Still a great great game. Kinda long though and the combat getting bogged down is real. We only played 2 players, I can't imagine having to wait for others to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.