Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(for session reports from The Black Riders, see here)

After a lengthy council in Rivendell, it was decided that the original team of heroes would take the Ring on its journey South. Aragorn and Glorfindel would shepherd Pippin, while Legolas and Boromir would protect Sam. Frodo bears the Ring, and Merry rests in peace.

The council gifts our heroes with two mighty blades: Anduril for Aragorn, and Glamdring for Boromir. They also declared themselves a brave and mighty Fellowship, at least for the time being. Finally, a Northern Tracker is sent along to aid the Fellowship.

Our heroes easily make it through the Redhorn pass, but not without incident. A pack of wargs has silently stalked them through the mountains, and engages them in Eregion, a sign of things to come. Aragorn bravely protests the Fellowship, while Legolas and Boromir make short work of the Howling Warg.

More scouting assistance comes from some riders of Rohan, the Snowbourn scouts. They help our heroes navigate the monotonous terrain of Eregion. But there's a trap! Seemingly out of nowhere, the Great Warg chief pounces on our Fellowship, accompanied by a pair of Hounds of Sauron. The hounds make short work of one of the scouts, as well as a Gondorian spearman, thus breaking the Fellowship. Legolas and Boromir race to the rescue, but it is too late to save their friends.

Aragorn finds some Unexpected Courage in Eregion, but it is quickly lost when fighting another Hound. Nevertheless, Anduril cuts through the shadow's beast, and a sneaky Gandalf dispatches their chief.

Another party of Snowbourn Scouts navigates the Fellowship out of Eregion. One sadly fails to return, while the other finds Faramir, who had gone ahead of the Fellowship. He would remain with them to the Mines of Moria.

At the gates of Moria, the Watcher in the Water ensnares poor Frodo, denying us the power of the One Ring. Our heroes fought valiantly to save him, but sadly, Boromir fell to the wrath of the beast. Gandalf appeared just in time - as wizards are wont to do - to blast the creature and save Frodo. Gildor Inglorion too makes a timely appearance, enough to distract the Watcher and allow our heroes to flee through the gate.

Safe from the Watcher, the Fellowship now finds itself in total darkness.

--

It took a while to get some time to keep playing, but I finally started the next round of Saga quests. I had some thoughts about radically changing the party at the Council, but I'm happy with my original team. I would have taken Gandalf and Elrond, at least; maybe next time.

The quest was, overall, really easy. I was able to quest for 15 ~ 20 per turn, especially with Fellowship of the Ring in play. The wargs were easy to fight, I didn't hit many tough treacheries, and the locations were never a problem. Northern Tracker, free from the Council, didn't even do too much to help. Boromir with Glamdring, along with Valiant Warrior Legolas, did some serious damage, allowing me to one-shot most monsters. Aragon, with Anduril, was awesome on defence. Everyone else just quested for a bunch, and we made it through in maybe 6-7 rounds?

The only downside was when the Watcher entered the staging area after passing the previous stage of the quest. It attacks everyone, and only one player had a chump blocker. The other was going to lose a hero, either Sam or Boromir. I wasn't about to lose another hobbit, so Boromir goes down, earlier than usual.

Two dead tactics heroes - Merry and Boromir. Now to find a replacement, apply the +2 threat modifier, and find a way to deal with the Balrog...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good GOD the second quest is WAY HARDER! It doesn't help when Gandalf takes a Grievous Wound, and then basically becomes useless for the rest of the game.

Maybe attempt #3 tomorrow... maybe this is the end of the saga. Those burdens really add up! And Gildor has been useless EVERY SINGLE TIME. Grr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not going to happen.

Third time through, had the best possible start I could imagine. Nice and slow, great progress, we built up lots of chumps. Got everything I could ask for: Light of Valinor on Glorfindel, A Burning Brand, Celebrian's Stone, and Unexpected Courage on Aragorn, Legolas was armed to the teeth and made progress on locations by killing orcs. Hell, even Gildor showed up from the encounter deck, and actually stuck around!

We killed orcs a plenty. But then, at the Chamber of Mazarbul, too many locations showed up. The Balrog appeared here, which was... okay. I did a tonne of damage thanks to Legolas FINALLY being able to use Unseen Strike. Things were looking good: 14 damage on the Balrog, which was enough for one more attack and then Legolas throwing himself off of the bridge.

Problem was, once we made it to the third stage, even more locations came out. Oh, and burdens. ALL OF THE BURDENS. I think I gained a dozen threat that turn (when I was already at 48...), so no chance at all. Even if I didn't threat out, there's no way I could have quested enough to explore the Bridge AND THEN finish the quest. MAYBE I could have done better if I got the bridge out, and used Legolas to take out the Balrog, but with 17 threat in the staging area right now, plus 5 for the bridge, plus whatever came out from the deck, plus the loss of at least two chumps a turn... wasn't going to happen.

I'm so hamstrung by burdens and threat increases that this team just doesn't have a chance. Maybe adding Gandalf as a hero was a mistake, but he was damn useful, and any other hero would have only saved me 3 or 4 threat.

Nope. Taking apart the sagas right now. Maybe I'll try them later, but god damn, this was discouraging.

EDIT: So, I guess the ring lies in Moria somewhere? I'm sure Sauron will find it eventually, that place is crawling with Orcs. Sorry, Free Peoples of Middle Earth, you should have made for the Gap of Rohan instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.