Brandon Neff
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 April 1941
1730 hrs

As British 2nd Armored Division elements withdrew before German pressure, the tanks of the 5th Royal Tank Regiment and 3rd Hussars tried to shield the withdrawl of A/E Battery of 1st Royal Horse Artillery regiment. The guns could only make a road speed of 7 miles per hour. Unable to break contact with the Germans, late in the afternoon 5th RTR turned to give battle.

5th Light Division. Elements, 2nd Battalion, 5th Panzer Regiment
2 x Pz II
2 x Pz IIIF
2 x Pz IIIG

Elements 5th RTR
3 x A13
3 x Tank Leaders

The British tanks were set up on the west slope of a dominating hill as the Germans approached from the West.

Victory Conditions:
The British player wins a minor victory if he/she eliminates 2 German steps and a major victory if he/she eliminates 4 German steps.
The German player wins a minor victory if at the end of play at least 5 German units have exited the map from hex 0115 and a major victory if at least 5 units exit at 0115 and 4 British steps have been eliminated. The player with the higher level of victory wins. If both achieve the same result, it is a draw.

The Game:
The British had just about enough of the Germans on their tail and awaited the inevitable approach. The Germans were spread out with the heavier tanks on the flanks where they could use their greater range to knock out the lighter A13 tanks. The battle began in the 2nd turn (this scenario had 9 turns) and by the start of the 4th turn, the British tanks were nothing but smoking hulls and tombs. The Germans used the crossfire advantage to great use while the British neglected to use the hill to their own advantage. The British lost 6 steps to 2 for the Germans. A Major German victory!

Because this was such a short encounter, we immediately reset the board to try new tactics.

This time, the British kept their tanks on the hill to force the Germans to absorb a -1 AT fire penalty. The Germans also decided to blitz the British with three heavy tanks at the tip of the spear. It rumbled down the road until they were just out of range (The British opted not to attempt long-range opportunity fire at 1/2 AT for unknown reasons). The British moved to within range, but remained on the hill and hoped to win initiative, which they did. They blasted the German heavy tanks and suprised the enemy by knocking out 2 steps and demoralizing a reduced Pz IIIF unit! The Germans fought back and for a time, it seemed as though the British would hold their position long enough to grind out a victory! But alas, the German Pz IIIG tanks were too much for the A13's and in turn 6, the British lost 4 steps and they conceded defeat, with a single reduced A13 unit remaining on the board and the enemy all around them. However, the British had knocked out 4 steps and this meant the scenario ended in a tie!

Historical Outcome:
Believing thier pursuers to be Italian, the British advanced with great confidence. The presence of Germans suprised them greatly. The Germans lost three and the British five tanks before the British withdrew, but they had delayed the Germans long enough to extract the lumbering artillery.

Personal Notes:
This scenario is ideal for someone who wants to learn the basics of tank combat in the Panzer Grenadier world. It is fast, brutal and a lot of fun. There isn't much to it other than blasting away at one another, and for that sole reason, it works well to introduce someone to the PzG tank rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the lack of terrain make the game less *fiddly* ?

I was thinking that I should bust out some AT scenarios myself in PzG, thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Neff
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. The only real terrain feature to worry about are hills and roads. It makes it easy to learn the system! If you don't currently have a copy of Afrika Korps, I have an extra unopened copy for sale here on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.