Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MintWorks is now Contest Ready!

In mint works you are a player set on proving your mint production dominance. You take turns placing your mints, worker placement style, to ear new mints buy building blueprints and build new buildings to further your cause. The player that earns the most points wins!

2-4 Players
15 Minutes
Ages 8+

Contents: Rulebook, 4 Work Area Card, 14 Building Cards, 25 Mint Tokesn, 1 First Player Marker.

Print and Play: Download Mint Works v4.1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mint Works (2015 Mint Tin Design Contest entry)
Got quite a few plays in today with the kids, they all seemed to enjoy it and ask to play more, so that's a plus I suppose.

I've updated the rules with some tweaks that were needed and uploaded a v2 print and play document.

Download here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Neeters. I am going to also add this to the list of Candygame handouts as it would make a viable handout with or without the Tin.

Question.

The rules keep referring to buildings. I assume you mean building cards? The way it is worded in at least two places made me initially think you meant buildings as it wooden cubes or monopoly houses?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes if it says building it's referring to a building card. I'll have to get that updated in the rules to minimize confusion.

Thanks for pointing that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Printed and will give it a try hopefully this weekend. Nice concept, looks like fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to mention something in the rules. There is really no mention in the rules about restocking the two building cards beside the work card when they are bought. The last time the extra 6 building cards are mentioned is when they are set aside in set up. Maybe I missed something and I assume they are restocked but might want to confirm that?
Thanks and look forward to trying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohh! Good catch. They should restock at the end of the round.

I'll be sure to get that in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Off to a great start Justin. Looks like a fun little game!

Quick idea. What about having cards or buildings which influence the Work Area card (e.g., Build Building costs 1 less mint or Buy Buildings cost 1 less mint)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a few two player plays in and a couple more questions came up.
First was about the first player. The rules state that the player who purchases the 1st player work box is first player next round. Do they remain first player until the original buys it back or does it automatically go to the original starting player the following round?
Also, when two of the same value buildings are out to purchase, is there a way to mark which one a player intends to choose before round end?
Finally, it was obvious to me that the gain a mint action on a bought building card is not activated until it is actually built but you may want to emphasize it, not sure.
sorry, I believe that is all that was mentioned . Do enjoy the game and will get more plays in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6: I really like that Idea, I'll have to toy around with it a little and see what I can add that doesn't throw off the balance too much.

Chad: I'm glad to hear you had some fun with it!

Yes, whoever buys the first player keeps first player till somebody else buys it.

Actually, when you buy the building, you should take and place it face down in front of you. You don't have to wait till end of round to take a building you bought. (which means it's entirely possible to buy and build the same building in one round)

About the mint bonus, you are totally right about that - it's come up around here a couple times. I'll definitely clarify that.

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! This is good stuff!

I'm busy the rest of this week and weekend, however next week I'll get an update out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Looking forward to the update.

What about increasing the # of buildings to purchase each round to the # of players playing? Also, I could see you adding in another set of buildings if they could fit in the tin.

Can buildings that have been purchased be sold to other players?

Could players use buildings belonging to other players, perhaps for a cost to use the building?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
About how many mints would you estimate is needed? A Smalls tin holds about 50, a standard tin holds at least 75. From the looks of it about 15 would be needed minimum to cover three players saving to buy the 5 point cost buildings. This is assuming that you do not have to pay the buy cost twice? There are 2 circles and the rules say to pay to those?

It might help to be a little more clear on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I ended up having some time to myself tonight, and I just couldn't resist doing some more work on this.

Here is version 3 of Mint Works PnP: Download PnP v3

- I've updated the rulebook to be much more clear about things (hopefully!)
- The work area card has been split up to 4 individual cards
- There are now 5 Additional Building Cards for a total of 14
- Building Cards have been cleaned up and re-designed
- More building cards have more diverse abilities now (not just +1 mint anymore!)

I think that's about it! All of that new stuff ended up adding 2 pages to the pnp file for a whopping 5 pages. (3 for rules, 2 for cards)

Enjoy everyone, and let me know how the changes sit with you.

-Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Justin. I had a chance to play tonight with a couple friends. Here is a little feedback.

• Suggest visually identifying which cards are the 4 Work Locations. I know this is shown in the rules (and they don't have a cost).

• A 1st player token helped keep track of the leadership council.

• If the Mint Producer card is built, does the owner take 1 or 2 of the mints (if played) from the Produce Mints location?

• We ran out of mints during the 2nd round. Added 4 or 5 more and it seemed to work well.

• First Game lasted 4 or 5 rounds. Final Score: Player 1 - 5 points (Nice statue & fantastic statue), Player 2 - 1 point (Crane), Player 3 - 2 points (excellent factory & a lumber mill yet to be built), Player 4 - 7 points (quality statue, auto assembler, mint producer, and nice factory).

• The combo of auto assembler, mint producer, and nice factory was pretty strong. Mint producer is a great card costing 1. Single statues don't seem too helpful early (perhaps having a museum would make it a viable strategy).

• Basic statue and nice statue both cost 1 to build but nice statue is worth 2 vp.

• The building lotto doesn't seem to add a lot of value by allowing an extra building purchase.

• Game 2 - only 1 building left in the draw pile. Player 2 had an early lead with 6 points (nice factory and fantastic statue), but player 3 won with the museum statue combo (statue museum, quality statue, and nice statue). Player 4 finished with 3 points (auto assembler and basic factory) and player 1 with 3 points (mint producer, building lotto, and crane).

• Looks like the components fit well and there's still some room for the rules.

• Each game was around 15 to 20 minutes. It was a quick and fun game. Easy to pick up but with some meaningful decisions throughout. Great job so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two quick questions Justin, I really like the new copy of Mint Works!
First, I noticed R4D6 played with 4 players, is this an update?
Second, my first game for the new version had the fantastic statue, how is this bought and built. Do I put 3 mints on thd building dealership work location, take the card, than build it on the building manufacturer on another turn? In other words, is it treated as a building? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chad - I didn't even notice that the rules stated 2-3 players! Thanks for pointing that out to me. The game did seem to work still, but I can see how it was designed for a smaller player count. I bet if Justin made a couple small modifications, it could play well at 4.

I believe the statues are treated as buildings as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Guys, I'm back in town and able to sit down and read through your comments now!

R4D6: Thank you so much for the feedback! This is really good stuff!

Visually Identifying the staring areas - This is a really good idea, I was hoping not having a cost was enough - but making it even more clear is never a bad idea.

1st Player Token - You are very right, this is pretty much a necessity and I'll be sure to add one into the PnP sheet/rules

Mint Producer - The owner of this building card would get the one mint that was used on it, at the end of the round. I tried to clarify that in the 3rd page of the rules, i'll revisit it to make it more clear. The intent is, if somebody builds the producer, it provides a 3rd location to generate mints. With the advantage of the owner getting one mint also, if it ends up being used.

Running out of mints - i'll talk about that later.

Basic Statue vs Nice Statue - Yeah, i wasn't sure what to do there, since I don't want any one building card to provide more than 3 points on it's own. I figured having a really good buy statue and a normal buy statue would be the best bet. The nice statue is just a really good buy

Building Lotto - I'm surprised that wasn't a very well received choice, as I assumed it would be worth the extra opportunity to buy, with a 50% chance of breaking even on cost, or even getting a discount.

Additionally, I'm glad to hear it still played around the 15min window and that you all enjoyed it!

Chad: R4D6 actually answered the questions for me The intended play is still 2-3 players, and statues are treated as buildings.

That said, seeing how well it ended up playing with 4 as is, makes me want to put in a few changes to make it suit a 4 player session as well.

If anybody wants to play with 4 players before i get the next PnP up, use the following modifications:

- 5 more mint tokens (total 25)
- Produce Mints, Building Dealership, and Building Manufacturer all have 3 work assignment locations, instead of 2.
- The game ends when the last building has been purchased, or when a player has 7 points.

That should be enough to get the game to play pretty well with a 4 player group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Justin. This looks like a really interesting little worker mint placement game! Printed it out and am giving it a go.

A question: With buildings with multiple placement spots, can the same player place on BOTH spots (if no one else has placed on the other spot when the player's turn comes round again)? E.g. place on both spots on Produce Mints to end up with 4 mints (a net of 2 after placement of course)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, thought I'd note, it's not clear how the buy/build process works unless you read the details of the work locations fully. I (foolishly) figured I'd only need to read those to get clarification of the buildings actions if it wasn't obvious from the card. Apparently, after reading them AFTER half-playing a game, it appears that the details tell you how to buy, what to do with bought cards, how to build, etc. I think that information should be in the Players Turn section, so it's more obvious to the reader, or at least a note saying "see Work Locations for details of how buy/build works" or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick!

Thanks for taking an interest in Mint Works! I look forward to hearing some feedback from your plays.

To answer your question. Yes a player can place mints in both placement locations of a card as long as they only place in one location on each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Also, thought I'd note, it's not clear how the buy/build process works unless you read the details of the work locations fully. I (foolishly) figured I'd only need to read those to get clarification of the buildings actions if it wasn't obvious from the card. Apparently, after reading them AFTER half-playing a game, it appears that the details tell you how to buy, what to do with bought cards, how to build, etc. I think that information should be in the Players Turn section, so it's more obvious to the reader, or at least a note saying "see Work Locations for details of how buy/build works" or something?

That's a really good idea I'll be sure to incorporate it in the next update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
What sized cards have you used Justin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far they were just custom sized to fit decently.

The next version I go with I'm going to use a standard size. The best size that will fit looks to be business card size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a chance to play the new version of Mint works with others and got the comment that the statues seem too valuable. I had suggested taking one gem off of each statue, but the statue with only one gem would be 0 unless you have or can get the museum. I don't know if others feel the same.
Personaly, I did not mind the statues as they are, they are treated like buildings. Am I correct in saying the first version had more buildings, but these are replaced by the statues and such in the current version? Seems to be fine otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 4 games solo (playing all sides), 3 as 2-player, one as 3-player, then played a 3-player game with my eldest 2 kids (11 and 9 years old).

Really enjoyed all the plays. The game with my daughters was an interesting one; we got down to the last 2 cards in the deck before I triggered game end (and won, woohoo!). Had I not had the building that gives +1 to statues, I wouldn't have triggered game end, and we may well have ended up buying the last 2 cards on the subsequent round. I wonder if it's worth having another game-end condition that if you can't replenish the 3 face-up buildings during the maintenance phase, that triggers game end too, and whoever has the highest score at that point wins? Otherwise, it likely would have come down to whoever was next in player order who had the most mints left to buy the most-VP building left, which feels a tad unfair.

My solo plays were good too, and go super-fast when only you are making the decisions! Felt very smooth to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |