Subject: Mint Works - 2015 Mint Tin Design Contest entry - [Contest Ready] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: a2p [+] a4p [+] a3p [+] a-faire [+] [View All]
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Mint Works (2015 Mint Tin Design Contest entry)
mundungus wrote:

In your font, the numeral '1' and the capital letter 'I' look identical. I don't think it actually causes confusion anywhere, but it gives the reader pause.

This times a million =)

Cool game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Peter!

These are all things that I'll work on fixing for the next update.

Points are tracked on the cards (the stars on the bottom) so you can see by face up (built) cards how many points each player has.

Any buildings text is only ever active once it has been built, so in the instance of the Museum, the bonus points don't count until it has been built by the player that owns it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mundungus wrote:
How do we keep track of points? With paper, or are there point tokens?

Do you mean the number of stars on built buildings (I just add them up each time I do a check - game end is triggered at 7, which isn't much to add each time), or wins across multiple games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Drake
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146650/fireknife
badge
Burn to learn / learn to burn
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
mundungus wrote:
How do we keep track of points? With paper, or are there point tokens?

Do you mean the number of stars on built buildings (I just add them up each time I do a check - game end is triggered at 7, which isn't much to add each time), or wins across multiple games?

I was asking about the former, so just looking at the cards should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Drake
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jblaske wrote:
Any buildings text is only ever active once it has been built, so in the instance of the Museum, the bonus points don't count until it has been built by the player that owns it.

I guess it was the description of the Museum in the rules that threw me. Alternate wording: "Each culture building built by this player is worth 1 additional point. It does not matter if the culture building was built before or after the museum."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Drake
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We gave this a try last night. Nothing mind-blowing, but it works cleanly, offers some strategic choices, and scratches the worker/mint placement itch in 15 minutes.

We did one thing wrong: we were using the 4-player side of the work location cards, even though there were only 2 of us. This would be less likely if I had printed the cards double-sided. I don't think the rules say anywhere to use the appropriate side; it just depends on the players' knowledge of gaming convention.

My wife did mix up the building dealership and building manufacturer once. This probably wouldn't happen in a second game. Possible improvement: call an unbuilt building a "blueprint" and put artwork to that effect on the back.

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george lazaris
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to give some explanations about the WHOLESALE building? When does a player put mint tokens on it? What does the +2 means. I use the ver.4.1 of the rules. Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lazgeorg wrote:
Is it possible to give some explanations about the WHOLESALE building? When does a player put mint tokens on it? What does the +2 means. I use the ver.4.1 of the rules. Thank you in advance.

Once the "Wholesaler" has been built (is face up in front of a player.) It becomes an additional location for players to place their Mint Tokens. It works exactly the same as the "Produce Mints" main location, with the exception that the mint placed on "Wholesaler" goes to the owner of the "Wholesaler" at the end of the round, rather than back to the supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george lazaris
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh i see! Thank you for the quick response. I have printed your game and in the next couple of days i will be able to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very awesome! I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george lazaris
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On 15th of July you mention...(which means it's entirely possible to buy and build the same building in one round) [for ver2] does this mean you can take as many placements in each round as you wish or just 1 placement as you mention in ver.4.1 of the rules? If the first is true isn't the buying of the first player token a free action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're confusing Rounds with Turns.

A round consists of many player turns, here's an example that will hopefully clarify it a little bit more:

You and I are playing.

-You're first player. You place a couple mints to buy a building card and keep it face down. That's your turn.

-For my turn, I decide to produce some mints.

-Now it's your turn again. You have 2 mints left and decide to build the building you just bought last turn. That's the end of your turn.

-I decide to buy a new building with all but one of my mints. That's the end of my turn.

-Now it's your turn, you have no actions you can or want to do, so you pass. You can no longer participate in this round, as you've passed.

-It's my turn now, i decide to take first player.

-It's my turn again, and I decide to pass.

-Now the player turns phase of the round is over, and we move on to check to see if the game has ended, or if we need to continue on to a new round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george lazaris
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's clear enough. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Burgess
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Hey there, downloaded your Tabletop Simulator module and it seems to be a gem of a game.

I suppose I needed clarification on the "make first player" location though. In that, can the first player continually rebuy their right to be first player? I know that the effect lasts until someone else buys into that slot, however as the first player can't you block the location from others by placing a mint there every round on your first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
William, thanks for stopping by! I hadn't realized Mint Works had made its way on to Tabletop Simulator, that's pretty neat! I'll have to subscribe to that and keep an eye on it.

As for the answer to your question. Yes the first player can continue to buy first player over and over. It comes at a cost however. If your first action you do, is to take first player - you aren't actually getting any benefit from being first. Every other player gets to place on a more powerful location before you do.

So while it's possible, I wouldn't recommend it as a strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Justin. Just wanted to thank you for entering this design into the mint tin contest this year. I really enjoyed playing this one (I think it was an earlier version). It's been fun to watch this design come to life over the last couples months!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Boyd
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic and I'm definitely going to have to print this out and give it a shot. I love having watched your process going from iteration to iteration and incorporating ideas from the other designers.

Justin, if you'd like I could probably get Mint Works up on Tabletopia as well for more exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually had started that process but you are more than welcome to do it. As time is a very limited resource for me at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Ham
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin, the download link for v4.1 that's on the original post only provides the rulebook, not the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simenzo wrote:
Justin, the download link for v4.1 that's on the original post only provides the rulebook, not the components.

Oh wow! Oops! I've now fixed it.

Here's the link for ease.

https://goo.gl/IbPcEA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry angels
msg tools
Congrats on your overall win! planning to print this out and give it a test run. Very pretty game.

Side note - the truck card has a misspelling of efficient

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much!

Also, thanks for the catch on that misspelling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to stop in here any let anybody know that might be subscribed to this thread still, That Mint Works is officially in the BGG Database now, and will be going to Kickstarter in the near future.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/200077/mint-works
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Great news Justin! Will there be any big changes between the contest version and the published version? Good luck on the upcoming campaign!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few changes, mostly balance and quality of life stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |