Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Thurn und Taxis: Der Kurier der Fürstin» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Good expansion? Maybe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
We got this expansion on the Essen fair in 2006 and tried it as soon as we got the base game (which we got later, since we waited for the Dutch version).

This game adds special tokens which allow you to buy additional special actions.
The player who upgrades to the highest value carridge also gets the Courrier token, which allows him to buy additonal special actions for one token (instead of 2).

The first player to claim a rout will get this Courrier. This is where it unbalances a 2-player game: from now on this player has a huge advantage since he doesn't have to pay much to get extra actions. This means this player will be able to complete additional routes faster, allowing him to drive the game faster and keeping the Courrier all the time. The second player will have a hard time keeping up, let alone snatching the Courrier token!

I have no idea if this expansion works better with more player, but with 2 players, I say: avoid it or play without the courrier!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Groth
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Surya wrote:

The player who upgrades to the highest value carridge also gets the Courrier token, which allows him to buy additonal special actions for one token (instead of 2).


Here you played wrong: you only get the courier, if you complete a route and are not able (or willing) to upgrade your carriage.

Quote:
The first player to claim a rout will get this Courrier. This is where it unbalances a 2-player game: from now on this player has a huge advantage since he doesn't have to pay much to get extra actions.


I don't think there's a balancing problem (but played as you did, there sure is), because the player who gets the courier loses speed (by not upgrading his carriage) and so maybe points in the end. So it just more or less enhances chances for the trailing player. In our 2-player games the "courier-player" loses more often.

I think it's a nice expansion. You should give it a try again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gautier R
Belgium
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with the game like that, makes the game unbalanced, indeed.
I think the expansion is not bad.

I'm looking forward to the official expansion that will come out in 2007!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
42
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Forza wrote:
I'm looking forward to the official expansion that will come out in 2007!


Sorry to highjack this thread, but I was curious about the above quote. I've seen reference to "official expansion" in regards to the newer expansion coming next year a couple of times now. How is this one (Der Kurier der Fürstin) not "official"? It was still made by the original game designer; it just wasn't released in a box, but in a magazine.

Back to the original thread, I have to agree with the above posters. When played correctly, this expansion works pretty well and adds a little more interaction between the players, making it less of a multi-player solitaire game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Groth
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maelic001 wrote:
I've seen reference to "official expansion" in regards to the newer expansion coming next year a couple of times now. How is this one (Der Kurier der Fürstin) not "official"? It was still made by the original game designer; it just wasn't released in a box, but in a magazine.


I think, people refer to the upcoming expansion(s)(Amazon.de calls it "the first expansion") as official, because you buy it as a standalone box - and not as a free addition to a magazine or as give-away. I agree with you, this is a bit imprecise. Of course every expansion done by the designer and the publisher has to be called "official". I think, this only excludes non-authorized stuff or PnP-expansions done by fans etc.

But maybe, I'm just splitting hairs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.