Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Zargon move his monsters into unexplored territory? I see that as very weird if allowed because then it's as though the heroes have a GPS tracker on the monster in unexplored territory--obviously you wouldn't place furniture or doors that the heroes haven't seen, but I would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters are specifically prohibited from opening or closing doors. I suppose you could have a monster retreat around a corner in a hallway. I would probably leave it on the board. I guess you would reveal where the hallway goes, but that is what you are choosing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
Monsters are specifically prohibited from opening or closing doors. I suppose you could have a monster retreat around a corner in a hallway. I would probably leave it on the board. I guess you would reveal where the hallway goes, but that is what you are choosing to do.

Timlillig is correct that Monsters may not open/close doors (see Zargon, the Evil Sorcerer's Turn), so they cannot roam unexplored territory. However, (based loosely on the rules under Dead Heroes as there are no rules for Monsters making a retreat) once a Monster has gone out of LOS of the Heroes, the Monster has escaped and is removed from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to make it more thematic and role-play a little,
I've had monsters run to warn others
just for fun though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Candie
United States
flag msg tools
Let's have some white cake!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules do not prohibit this explicitly, so I'd say it's up to Zargon.

Yours,

Zargon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't explicitly disallow many things. But I don't think that means constructions like allowing monsters to go into unexplored territory are advisable. To me the GPS tracker on the monsters is immersion breaking at its worst, and illogical at best.

Another problem could be that the monster could be used to block heroes from searching for traps ad infinitum (move monster onto trapped, unexplored hallway, sit there and watch as the heroes are forced to trigger every trap until they reach you).

Yeah, I think when I play as Zargon I will not be entering unexplored territory with my monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroquest is not an RPG. It is a board game/dungeoncrawler.

Assume the heroes can tell where the monsters are even when out of LOS simply because the dungeons are so small. You could also say the elf or wizard is tracking them somehow by sound or magic. The barbarian senses them, the dwarf feeeeels them through the stone.

The heroes already know the baser layout of every single map. How do they know that? Did they buy a map at the shop? Did the dwarf remember the layout, the wizard recognize the pattern, the elf sense the paths, the barbarian track the footprints?

But as per the rules the monsters can not open or close doors. They cant get in a hall short of being let out of a room. And then can not get in a closed room at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk B
Poland
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually add this as a note in a custom scenario,
there are 3 goblins in the room:
-one will attack nearest hero with additional die
-two others idle their first turn, then make a run towards next room,
if at least 1 succeeds, it is removed from play and next room contains 3 additional goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dante xxx
Italy
flag msg tools
Basic rurels don't allow monsters to walk around the tabletop or to open doors, but there are some quests in wich it can happen anyway.
There is a quest in wich an alarm sounds and all the remained doors must be opened and the master have to put all the monsters not yet defeated or discovered on the tabletop. The spell "ESCAPE" in USA version allow the chaos sorcerer to disappear and be placed in another room marked with a X on the map (even if that room has not yet be explored)(check also quest with fire mage Balur).
So definetely I believe you can write your own quests with wandering monsters or traps corridors where monsters could jump out from a corner and attack the heroes. Or a room with a group of monster that call help to the next room monsters. This also add suspance to the player that they can't feel really safe because anything can happen and also will change a bit the routine of the basic game. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.