Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Finn
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
Sunken warplane
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is one of the Jungle Objectives named "Showboat"? It's an escape mission where our heroes have to make it from the Objective card back to the Mission card while being chased by Hostiles all the way. I don't get the name reference, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Pierotte
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it might be a reference to the Tom Clancy novel Clear and Present Danger. The novel featured the fictional OPERATION SHOWBOAT in which elite teams of U.S. special forces attack drug cartel operations in the jungles of Colombia. During the course of the novel, the special forces teams are betrayed. They attempt to flee hostile cartel soldiers on the their way to a pre-planned extraction point, only to find that political leaders in Washington have shut down and disavowed the operation. The survivors of the teams are eventually rescued by the novels protagonists, CIA operatives Jack Ryan and John Clark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
A Google search revealed this definition of Showboat: to perform or behave in an outrageous or spectacular manner.

I haven't played using Showboat yet, so don't know if that may be an appropriate meaning.

Perhaps more appropriate, Operation Showboat was the name of an an operation in Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger. It involved a team of soldiers infiltrating Columbian drug cartel territory and attacking drug trafficking planes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
korangar wrote:
I believe it might be a reference to the Tom Clancy novel Clear and Present Danger. The novel featured the fictional OPERATION SHOWBOAT in which elite teams of U.S. special forces attack drug cartel operations in the jungles of Colombia. During the course of the novel, the special forces teams are betrayed. They attempt to flee hostile cartel soldiers on the their way to a pre-planned extraction point, only to find that political leaders in Washington have shut down and disavowed the operation. The survivors of the teams are eventually rescued by the novels protagonists, CIA operatives Jack Ryan and John Clark.

You beat me to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryanmobile wrote:

Perhaps more appropriate, Operation Showboat was the name of an an operation in Tom Clancy's Clear and Present Danger. It involved a team of soldiers infiltrating Columbian drug cartel territory and attacking drug trafficking planes.

And this is what ticks me off most about this game! I really want to have a Ding Chavez character with a sniper rifle and a silenced MP-5.

The operatives in this game are WAY to unrealistic. Not because they are superheroic, but because of how little they are given by their quartermasters and how little they can hold. A red dot sight takes the same weight and space as a package of bandages? Really!?! shake

I need to repurchase Ranger

Anyhow... I digress from the thread's purpose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.