Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karefa Kargbo
United States
McLean
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was going to grab Netrunner on clearance at B&N and was too late. Making myself feel better by buying a smaller game. Any suggestions on which of these four?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karefa Kargbo
United States
McLean
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also any suggestions on other $20 or less games is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played (and own) Sushi Go, and Fairy Tale. I like them both quite a bit. If you've never played a card drafting game before maybe Sushi Go is better to get the hang of it. Fairy Tale has iconography that takes a bit of getting used to. However, they are both very good as I said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no laws on ceres.... just cops.
badge
what can change the nature of a man?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Cheaty Mages and Fairy Tale, and Fairy Tale gets a lot more play. Both are good, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Percival
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Sushi Go! and Fairy Tale from that list. Personally, I much prefer Fairy Tale. With the basic rules it is fairly comparable to Sushi Go!, but once you had in the expert cards it has a lot more depth without increasing the play time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale is the only one of those games that sees semi-regular play in our group. It comes out when we have 30 minutes left and don't know what to play. The others don't. It's a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Other suggestions could be:

Love Letter
Machi Koro
6 nimmt!
Citadels
Port Royal
Camel Up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played all four

Sushi Go! is a simple 20 minute affair with nice art. It is very easy to pick-up, highly suitable for kids and designed by a Australian (so it must be good).

Fairy Tale is more complex and challenging to teach. There are card effects to understand, so it takes longer to explore its nuances. It is probably a better pick for teenagers or adults.

Harbour is not a drafting game at all - it is a small scale tableau builder. I think of it as Le Havre's baby brother. I like it a great deal and think it has greater replay potential than any of the others, but it is also the most complex. Note that Harbour takes roughly an hour with 4 players - the others are all 30 minutes or less.

Cheaty Mages! is a sibling of Colossal Arena, and I found it least interesting of all of these. There are a lot of random elements for such a small game. It is easy to teach though, and the "battle" theme is appealing.

I second the suggestion of Port Royal or 6 nimmt! - both are cheap, excellent games. Port Royal features an excellent push-your-luck card draw element and Cat-5 feels like an evolved game of Whist or Euchre. Both take about 45 minutes to play and are straightforward to teach - neither is as complex as Harbour.

It looks like you own Citadels and Love Letter... Machi Koro really needs the expansion to shine and might be more costly than you intend. Camel Up is not universally loved - it is the only one of these I have not played, but nevertheless, try before buying.

I would add Coloretto to your list. It is quick to teach, takes 25 minutes to play and players get a nice sense of tension while playing: Will I get what I want, or will my options be spoiled? Should I take what I have available, or gamble for something even better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Zander
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cockroach Poker
Jaipur
Dixit expansion? You only need dice and a score track.
Brave Rats

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! and Fairy Tale are both drafting/set-collection games, Harbour is Worker Placement, and Cheaty Mages is...harder to explain.

The only one I haven't played is Harbour. I like Fairy Tale and Sushi Go! (I think Fairy Tale is better, but Sushi Go! is better with people who don't play games much.

Cheaty Mages is all about guessing what cards people will be going for, and betting on the best options. It's a weird game, but I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.