Subject: Clarification on Stories Campaign for Myth - is there one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello - total newbie to Myth (I just won a retail copy on an auction).

That said, I have read a bunch of reviews and posts and watched a bunch of videos on the game Myth and I'm excited about the mechanics (understanding the flaws as much as I can without having the game).

What I am interested in- and what really intrigued me about some reviews - were the story (and quest) aspects along with the mechanics and free form decision making.

I'm an old RPGer and love the overarching stories that hold together a party of heroes and keeps them coming back. This is what drives my love for board games and RPGs, especially in the fantasy genre. I see a ton of potential with Myth to have some great battles and action - but the detail on the quality and depth of the stories (the reason to come back to the table, IMO), has been kinda vague and disjointed as far as content and how much fun the story campaign is, or even if there is one (described or alluded to)

Without derailing into the flaws of the mechanics and missed opportunities on version 1.0 (and understanding that I have yet to recieve the game and thus I'm asking this question blind), I'm interested in A discussion on the story campaign (is there one?) and the quality of said story and quests (I guess quests are no more?). How would you describe the story mode - is it enough to keep players engaged and coming back for more just from the story on the cards? how does the story mode compare to other similar board games?

If I missed a conversation on this elsewhere, my apologies. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ziegler
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Myth were a TV series, then the Apprentice (1.0) quests would be like the first few episodes of the season. Those are the episodes that introduce the characters and the world and set the stage for the later plot. However, those episodes don't do much to advance the plot themselves.

It appears that like the middle episodes of a TV series, the Journeymen (2.0) quests are going to start to really drive the main plot, allowing the heroes to confront the Darkness more directly at places like Blackwall and Ferrenroc.

It definitely seems like everything is moving forward in a campaign that will culminate in an ultimate confrontation with the Darkness sometime in the Legendary hero quests.

To me, the awesome thing about the quests in Myth is the built-in reaction to success or failure that they have. Many of the chapter quests have a different consequence based on whether you succeed or fail, and cause you to shuffle a different future quest into the quest deck. Some of them even hinge on player choice. For example, one quest gives you the chance to steal from a merchant. If you choose to, you get a bunch of stuff, but then that merchant won't interact with you anymore in the future. To me, it creates a very dynamic decision-making environment that is more alive than any other board game I have played.

I hope all that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing by just randomly pulling quests from the deck and resolving them, mainly to get a firm grip on the mechanics. Even as stand-alone single shot cards, we have enjoyed the general theme and it does give a episodic feel when we just have our characters resolve something and move on.

In terms of a giant, over-arching story that's not something that's been revealed as of yet, but I think you can see hints or threads of things in various quests. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it always certainly feels like there's a bigger picture going on -- which I like. I'm not overwhelmed with bigger picture material, it's being revealed to me as part of learning the game and all the elements. Maybe that's intentional or maybe it's accidental, but I do like it.

As a former old-school dungeon master, I also enjoy the theme and reading through the quest cards to get a feel for what we should be focusing on or how things can be resolved. For example, a few days ago we replayed "Stolen Treasure" to introduce the rules to a new player. As part of the resolution of that quest, we had to decide whether or not to return the chest or keep what was inside. The new player was rather frustrated with his starter gear so he voted to just keep it and tell the merchant we didn't find it. We found a ring that gave an extra fate die and a suit of chain mail armor -- which as the solider was quite helpful for him.

In the short term, that decision paid off. Would a blue treasure draw at some random point in the future been better? Maybe. But the immediate payoff was definitely appreciated.

I think what you're probably looking for (and what I'm looking forward to) are the modules that are planned for the Journeyman release. You can also go download the Fury of the Fireborne and Rise of the Revenant story quests as well to give you more of a story experience. Only Fury is finished right now (in terms of story), but in reading through it, I'm really excited for the Journeyman modules.

We've played Descent 2.0 (I think we're halfway through campaign), but I think overall we enjoy the co-op experience of Myth a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth is good for creating your own stories, too. That's actually what I like to do rather than do the pre-written quests. The new rules for adventuring should help players get titles and good items while playing this way, also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemme know how you define "story". I've yet to find a boardgame that has the depth of storytelling or immersion that an RPG can have. Have you read the Fury of Firestorm module? I guess that can give you an idea of how much story there is in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we RPGed back in the day (a german RPG-system) was that we bought prewritten adventures (we changed DMs).
We never had an overarcing storyline (ok the publications had a progressing world).
But of course the adventures had their stories. For me myth is like that.
You are playing episodes with their own story.
MCG is expanding the background of the myth-world. I expect that the 'Darkness' which we perceive at the moment as just-the-AI-system is becoming more of a prime-evil force that connects all of the stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmb
Strom40 wrote:

What I am interested in- and what really intrigued me about some reviews - were the story (and quest) aspects along with the mechanics and free form decision making.

I'm an old RPGer and love the overarching stories that hold together a party of heroes and keeps them coming back. This is what drives my love for board games and RPGs, especially in the fantasy genre. I see a ton of potential with Myth to have some great battles and action - but the detail on the quality and depth of the stories (the reason to come back to the table, IMO), has been kinda vague and disjointed as far as content and how much fun the story campaign is, or even if there is one (described or alluded to)

I think the most succinct answer I can give you is that right now in 1.x, the quests in Myth provide you with some plot points, but it's up to you to make a story out of them. As a long-time RPG GM, I really enjoy turning plot points into stories, so this is a plus for me.

1.X Myth was presented with the metagame idea that the characters were actually sitting around a campfire or dinner table, retelling old war stories of their adventuring days. In-game action could be disjointed as table conversation flowed from one person to the other - "Remember that time Marcus showed up to challenge us to a Grubber-killing contest? We were right in the middle of gathering poison for that wierd apothecary guy Emberweave"... and around our gaming table, we're setting up a tile and we drew the "I like my Odds" Chapter quest, on the second tile trying to finish "The Accidental Cure" chapter quest.

The Journeyman Kickstarter introduced the concept of "Modules" which may have more of a directed narrative; I haven't seen any materials for the modules other than the concept of the box and the miniatures content, so I can't say for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Megacon just update some of the quests into the newer module format?

They are available as a download from their website (Myth 2.0 Content.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:

That's just what was Act and Chapter quests, now merged into simply "Quests" in the new card format, and with some tweaks and clarifications.

The Story quests are only in the rulebook (and the KS extra quests booklet), and haven't yet been released in an updated form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete R.
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the clarifications - very helpful! I'm really hoping to play the game with both immediate plot lines and maybe an overarching or perhaps, a bigger mega plot to flesh out the world and setting. All of your points and clarificationss help me - especially since I do not have the game yet. Can't wait for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
Chinkster wrote:

That's just what was Act and Chapter quests, now merged into simply "Quests" in the new card format, and with some tweaks and clarifications.

The Story quests are only in the rulebook (and the KS extra quests booklet), and haven't yet been released in an updated form.

Ah. OK. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm still playing my long term quest storyline (whatever it's called now) so haven't started on the 2.0 stuff yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strom40 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the clarifications - very helpful! I'm really hoping to play the game with both immediate plot lines and maybe an overarching or perhaps, a bigger mega plot to flesh out the world and setting. All of your points and clarificationss help me - especially since I do not have the game yet. Can't wait for it!

Myth doesn't really have an overarching plot or big narrative. If having a long branching story is important to you, you'd want something like Descent II, which does that very well.

Myth is much more DIY, in every sense of the word. You can do the story/module quests, though nothing strings them together, or random quest cards. There are recurring themes and characters though, regular NPCs who crop up. I think the game was originally made vague, for the story elements to be determined by you, more like an RPG than a boardgame in that regard. If you want to know more about the lore and characters, the first KS story quests do a LOT more to flesh out the narrative than anything in the core set, lots of little snippets of information hidden in the missions.

However, since the 2nd Kickstarter, MCG seem to be moving more in that direction, trying to flesh out a world that was initially left deliberately vague. The latest Journeyman update even has a map, and there will be an artbook with more details on the places, characters and enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.