Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Vickery
Australia
Tempe (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mb
This is a seriously cool game. I think of it as combat bocce with each ball having special powers.

The game involves throwing 8-sided cardboard dice onto a table. The die can then either move (tip one face in a restricted number of directions), shoot or use a special power. Dice take hits by moving in a specified direction with each revealed face being progressively weaker until a shot is more powerful than the die's shield which kills it outright. The game centres on killing your opponent's dice, as each one is worth points, more for the tougher ones. First player to get 50 points wins.

The theming of this game is good - throwing dice onto the table is like them coming out of hyperspace, and most of the special powers make good sense. A key tactic is to get fighters in close to a big opponent ship: this way you have a good chance of blocking the ship on a damage move which causes it to be destroyed; it creates a vivid sense of sharks swarming around an ailing whale nibbling away at it.

There is skill in throwing the dice where you need them. There is some strategy in how you choose your fleet, where you choose to land the die, and what you do when a die is activated.

The dice are attractive and easy to use. The game is customizable, but not collectible. There is enough choice that players can favour different play styles in building a Terran or Urluqoi fleet. There are enough dice in this set for 4 people to play out of the box. Playing with four people in two teams works very well, although it is a pity that there are not more specific rules on how to do this (the included rules are only for two players). The Terran set seems more fun than the Garthan set as the variety of powers is greater.

You will know from reading about this game whether you will enjoy it. If you like a component of physical dexterity in your games (Crokinole etc) you'll likely love this. There is certainly luck in the game, but throwing skill and good strategy will win most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:User Review
RichardV (#18133),
Ha ha ha ha ha!!! "Combat bocce"!!!
Maybe that's why I love Diceland so much. Maybe if I tell him it's bocce, this could be the one game I can get my Dad to play... nah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review for a great game. It really is quite special. It has great value for money and you get a lot out of one of those little packs. I think your spot on with your review. It has it all and is great for younger players {dexterity,maths etc.}and the rules are just right so you dont spend your time refering to them and can concentrate on the suprising amount of depth and strategy. Anway i digress. Great review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.