3 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding coins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan van Velzen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I've only played the game once, and I feel like I have a decent grasp on it, but there's one element I do not understand, and I feel the rules don't sufficiently explain. Perhaps one of you can help me.

So, to score an economic victory, one needs 15 coins on their coin counter. Some techs help to earn coins, with specific tasks you can perform to add coins to the tech card. I'm wondering how these relate to the coin counter. Do you add those coins both to the tech card and the counter? That makes the most sense, but if so, why have a set of cardboard coins to begin with, if the counter can just keep track of all coins anyway? If that's not how it works, and coins on techs are not counted toward the victory, what purpose do these serve?

Basically, I guess what I do not understand is how the cardboard coins and the coin counter relate to one another.

Thanks so much for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the more common questions

The "coin dial" on your faction sheet tells your the current amount of coins you have AT ANY MOMENT. If you add a coin marker to one of your techs: you push up your coin dial. If you build building with a coin in one of your cities: you push up your coin dial.
If you lose one of your coins again: you push down your coin dial.

And so on...

Cardboard coins (coin marker) are the same as "printed" coins on techs, buildings etc. Only difference: you can lose coin markers by losing in combat and you can invest coin markers (in the Fame & Fortune expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and Welcome!

There are two types of coins: Printed and Token.

Printed are the coin images that are printed on the Map, Great People, or Cards.

Tokens are to keep track of other coins such as from Techs or Culture Cards. Tech allow you generate coins but at a limit of having 4 on a tech at a time.

In the expansions you can Invest Token Coins onto different Investments that give different abilities. There are also Culture cards that allow players to lose coin tokens.

You are correct that when you gain a coin token you also increase the Economic Dial by one. The Dial serves to show the OVERALL coins a player has (and at 15, that player wins an Economic Victory). So when you either lose a coin token, Great Person with a Coin, or control of a Map Square that has a Coin symbol on it you move your dial down 1 as well. You also decrease the dial by 1 when you invest a coin.

Summary:
Dial = Overall Coins you Control from all Sources (Easy Tracking)
Coin Tokens can be Lost or Invested in the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.