Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the plan: Create a fast game playable by up to 10 people that fits in a mint tin, as per the 2015 Mint Tin game design competition.

Yeah, I have my doubts, too. But what the heck! I will get files with the rules and pieces up as soon as possible.

The idea:
The players are trying to get away from a Thing With Sharp Teeth. They think it's behind them, but it may actually be in front of them. The goal is to be the last person standing, and for most of the game the strategy is to stay in the middle of the pack. At the end of each turn, the Thing With Sharp Teeth is revealed and eats the closest person or persons. Play continues until there's just one person left. If you've played Get Bit, you recognize the concept, and I hope I can make my iteration half as fun!

The Parts:
Each player is given two markers bearing the same number; one stays in front of them face-up (so everyone knows who's who), the other goes face-down into a pool. Those are mixed up and laid out in a line, still face down, in a random order. A Thing With Sharp Teeth counter is placed face-down at one end of the line.

All of the players are dealt two cards: A Nice Card that lets them move a marker away from the Thing With Sharp Teeth, and a Mean Card that lets them move a marker toward the Thing With Sharp Teeth. They must play one card each turn.

The play:
Once the markers are down and the cards are dealt, the player with number 1 goes first. They turn over a marker, play a card, and move the marker. The player whose marker was revealed goes next, and so on and so forth until everyone has revealed a marker and played their first card.

The person whose marker was revealed last then plays their second card and moves a marker. The person whose card they moved goes next, plays their second card, moves a marker, and so forth until everyone has played their second card.

After everyone has played their second card, the Thing With Sharp Teeth is revealed and players discover if it was behind them or in front of them. It eats one (or maybe more!) of the markers; those players are out, the rest of the markers are randomized and lined up, the cards are shuffled and dealt, and the next round begins with the lowest-numbered survivor. This continues until inevitable, teeth-snapping doom falls upon all but one player.

So, that's the idea. Now to see if I can get it to fit into a Trader Joe's mint box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great as I enjoy Get Bit and player elimination card games.
Also, group elimination games usually do not need a lot of cards or components, perfect for a mint tin game.

Will keep an eye on your thread. Just curious though if you know the minimum players? I believe Get Bit scales down to 2 using two people each, just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much! I'm trying to sort out how to get it on the Geeklist so I'm official but my lack of BGG mojo is hampering my efforts. Will get it on there ASASP.

Get Bit has the advantage of each player having four limbs to lose, which would work better for two; this is one and done each round, but the idea is a game will take less than one minute per player to finish.

To that end, I see this as needing a minimum of four to play, but the more the merrier. Honestly, having built some dummy tiles and stuck them in the tin, I could extend it to more players but I don't know yet at what level that becomes unwieldy.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a bit early for this, but will the cards show some how where the players and the Thing With Sharp Teeth is? What I mean is does it take place in water, on land, a cave , in space?

I didn't know if the cards would give little picture glimpses of the thing, (or things) or if they would have just text.

Just some thoughts, hope it is going well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for joining the contest Eric! Glad to see you participate.

I'm not too familiar with Get Bit. Can you describe some of the differences between your design and Get Bit?

Good luck to you! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
Thanks for joining the contest Eric! Glad to see you participate.

Much obliged!

R4D6 wrote:
I'm not too familiar with Get Bit. Can you describe some of the differences between your design and Get Bit?

In Get Bit, the players are trying to swim away from a shark. Your piece is a little figure with removable arms and legs. Each player has a hand of cards numbered 1 to (I think) 8, and each round you select a card and play it face down. Lower numbers mean you're closer to the shark, and the person who's last in line loses a limb. Lose all four and you're out. You keep laying cards until only one person is left, and that person is the winner

My game is a little more fast-paced. Several players' tokens can be eaten by the Thing With Sharp Teeth each round. Also, there's an uncertainty about whether the Thing is actually behind everyone (at the back of the line) or if it will turn out to have been ahead of them (at the front of the line). Plus, I don't have those cute figures with arms and legs you can pull off.

R4D6 wrote:
Good luck to you! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Thanks, so am I!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Eric! How's the design coming along?

Have you had a chance to post the rules (maybe in a word document) and the components so we can test out your design? Dropbox works pretty good for this and then you can post the links in this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been remiss, and I apologize. I did some work and got distracted, but will try to post what I have before I leave town later this week. Thanks for the prompt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chun-Tse Huang
msg tools
Great idea but I have a few question about the game since the player don't know weather the Thing with sharp Teeth is in front or the back how does the Nice and Mean card work. Also does the last person have the option of putting his/her card into the middle. I think it would be better after the 2nd half when all the marker are reveal that the player are not allow to change the position of their own card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brick Forwood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, did you ever get anywhere with this game?

I'm currently trying to PNP all the games from this competition and this one sounded interesting.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alack! I got the rules pretty well set but never designed the thing. Sorry! However, I've recently moved to the Boston area where there's an active game design community that I plan to get involved with. Thanks to your reminder, I'll see if I can't get this one prototyped.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls