Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decided to take a stab at the mint tin contest with a design called "folded".

It is a sort of abstract origami game for two players, with a yet to be play tested 3 and 4 player expansion included. The game includes about 50 small square tiles, and nothing else. Players may use cubes for markers instead of the marker tiles provided if they wish.

Updated rules version 2.5 can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzTeOpj6iAMAfm1xcFRwLTFha2...

The rules may be printed on one page, front and back or two single side pages. They are to be folded to fit in the tin. There is an optional file with slightly larger tiles.

The files are in color, if anyone would rather the cards be white, I could make a print friendly card file. If there are no complaints, they will stay in color. They are meant to look like a pack of origami paper, so the color blocks hopefully give that effect.

I hope players enjoy the little introduction story in he rules and that the vivid colors and "folding" mechanic will be appealing to all ages. I wanted to get the design to have time to give feedback on the other entries.

Thanks and hope to enjoy these portable play entries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: folded (2015 mint tin contest)
Sounds like an interesting mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trunked wrote:
Decided to take a stab at the mint tin contest with a design called "folded".

It is a sort of abstract origami game for two players, with a yet to be play tested 3 and 4 player expansion included. The game includes about 50 small square tiles, and nothing else. Players may use cubes for markers instead of the marker tiles provided if they wish.
Play test ready files for cards and rules can be found here:
http://ge.tt/71zOBHK2

The rules may be printed on one page, front and back or two single side pages. They are to be folded to fit in the tin. There is an optional file with slightly larger tiles but cubes or some form of pawns will need provided.

I hope players enjoy the little introduction story in he rules and that the vivid colors and "folding" mechanic will be appealing to all ages. I wanted to get the design to have time to give feedback on the other entries.

Thanks and hope to enjoy these portable play entries.

The rules aren't visible for me - I just see "Nosuchkeyexists" followed by a string of characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very simple board of four card stacks in a square. Sided can be flipped as you would fold a piece of paper to find icons needed. Different moves can be used or added in varations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To The Dave, I will check into that tomarrow. You need to make sure you can view pdf files with programs like adobe reader as some will not read it but give that message. Also, sometimes the file cannot be viewed without downloading it. If i can create a game page here after play testing a better link can be posted i hope. Sorry it didn't work for you, Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't view/download the rules file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trunked wrote:
To The Dave, I will check into that tomarrow. You need to make sure you can view pdf files with programs like adobe reader as some will not read it but give that message. Also, sometimes the file cannot be viewed without downloading it. If i can create a game page here after play testing a better link can be posted i hope. Sorry it didn't work for you, Chad

I'll check back soon, but I did try downloading all files, and I got a zip file that only contained two card files - no rules file. Maybe that helps you troubleshoot the problem?

Thanks for the reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Ghislain and Dave for the information. I will look into it now and put a new rules file if need be. Only one card file is needed, the larger card file is missing the expansion cards so in is not ready yet. I hope this issue can be addressed.

Also, I would like to include fold and cut lines on the rules to fit in a tin. If I have to re download the file I think I will just update it with the small change. I apologize again, thank you for your patience. - Chad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, links are re uploaded now. They seem to work fine but please let me know if there is still an issue. Thank you all for the interest!

I will remind everyone that the last two variants are ideas and not tested yet. If they cause the rules to extend beyond 1 page front and back or two single sided pages, I may have to either post them online only or cut out some unnecessary content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules came down just fine. I'm an origami fan, so I'm looking forward to giving this a try.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Eric, really appreciate the replies here! I am sorry you don't actually make the origami figures in the game, had thought about including the diagrams to fold the creations mentioned but not sure if it would fit well in a tin. Maybe in a non mint tin version?
Also, if the rules are not clear on it, players are flipping the current top cards on a turn, not whole piles of five cards. My rules explanations are not so great. Again, if someone need a file with no color, please ask. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the larger card file with marker balloons and expansion is complete an uploaded. I feel I should mention that the original card size fit nicely in two stacks with rules and expansion cards. The larger cards barely fit because they can have two stacks side by side. I will also note that l laminated both sides of my copies so that does add thickness to the cardstock.
Here is a pic to compare the two size options of the game:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chad - the prototype photo looks amazing. Great job so far!

A couple quick thoughts. The font for the rules looks good but was a little hard for me to read. Also, I like the colors and the theme. Have you considered using icons in place of the text on some of the tiles?

Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, appreciate that! I could try a different font such as calibria I believe it is called.
I drew all the icons on printshop pro and had thought of drawing the origami models instead of the text on the 8 tiles. I suppose I could use some of the icons in the link you suggested such as the plane, frog, and so on. I was worried how they would show up on such small tiles though . I will try a few things. Thanks again!
update: Is this what you were suggesting R4D6? Only a couple have the words replaced here such as the house, church, grasshopper and balloon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Important update to folded
Update: Made the following changes in rules as well as updated the larger card files,(forgot arrows in fold cards).
Changed the font of the rules as well as;
Three important rule changes for those who already have them downloaded.
1. The last two game variations are being dropped for the contest at least. This is to make room for rules clarification in the main versions. Also, I would not expect those play testing to test all four versions before the contest.
2. In the introductory "bean" version, there are times while playing that the last cards of piles are "folded", leaving a blank space(s). This is usually temporary but leaves the next player with less to work with. I designed the setup so that task and creation cards box the playing board in, reminding players where the board cards were.
3. In the "Autumn" version, the inflate fold card can be powerful and there would be no reason to switch to another fold. Remember, any fold given by another player or taken yourself REPLACES the default book fold for the player. So, as a defensive move by an opponent, they would want to give the player with inflate a new available fold to force them to put it back in stock.

Hope this helps a bit. I would like to add that there are other fold option and creation cards that can be made in an add on. Some examples would be a fold that alters 3 cards of the board, or one for two opposite corners. New creation cards would have to have different icon patterns than the original of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New icons on creation cards are up for original and larger size cards. Also included the turn marker in the larger card file. See what you think. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With more playtesting of the introductory and standard game of folded, one introductory game play ran into some hiccups. At one point in the middle of the game the players kept revealing the step icons their opponent needed for their creation card and never their own. It was only after many turns they finally got unstuck.
There are some easy fixes to this.
1) have a mahjong like reshuffle when players agree the game is stuck
2) have players switch their creation cards with each other or
3) Have another type of fold instead of just book fold in the intro game

A second hiccup on play was a player having to do the same task card twice(the frog) because the task they moved to was taken(a land task) by their opponent. A quick fix would be to include the add on task cards during every game or just make a player create the same card twice if no cards of that type are available. Any one else come upon this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Haven't had a chance to play yet Chad. However, the cards seem a tad "cluttered". For a design like this, I believe simple and clean is the way to go. Perhaps a single icon or pattern on each card. Maybe a reference card or reference section in the rules to let players know what each card does. Just a quick thought. Keep up the great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I agree with simple and clean, The 20 main game cards are a single "step" icon. The creation cards show the four step cards needed in order to complete, this may be why they seem cluttered. All cards have the minimum information needed to play I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.

Your game looks pretty different to anything I've played before, so I'm looking forward to having a go (hopefully I'll be able to print it [and the other entries] out and have a play this week). I love papercraft and origami, and your cards are nice and colourful.

I've read over the rules and have a few suggestions:

- 1: I think you should use italics, or a different colour, or something else to separate narrative and mechanical content. This will make it much easier to skim in the middle of a game.

- 2: There are a few times where you refer to the category of a card, without mentioning what those categories are, and how to find the information (this got me stuck the first time I read through).

Reading through I find I'm still confused about game-play. Hopefully with the cards in front of me, it will make sense. I'll let you know how it goes cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the interest! The rules are a rough draft but I like your suggestions. It is actually a simple set collection or memory type of game where you are trying to reveal certain icons.

To answer your question about categories, there are four of them; land, water, air, and shelter. These are noted on the task cards beside the small origami pictures, on the upper right corners. For example, land is a mountain icon, air is a cloud, and so on.

The first three paragraphs are not needed, but gives a light story. I will italisize or color these sections as you mentioned. Finally for the moment, I will note that no cards are actually folded . I hope I can make the rules clearer and still keep it 1 double sided page.

Thanks again, - Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Drake
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146650/fireknife
badge
Burn to learn / learn to burn
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also having trouble accessing the files. I can get to the list of files, but when I click on the rules, I get a frame that either says "Loading..." and hangs or else says:

AccessDeniedRequest has expired2015-07-26T21:22:22Z2015-07-26T21:22:23Z5A3ED64E56312DC4JjxWSwlDXSoSWc80CpxzkE2WR+bBbXv/jLzZIXzkaFcDM1pNVDaflltn/qetrhwR9xKgFDh5Fhw=

If I instead try to download the zipfile, Chrome gives me a warning that "The site ahead contains harmful programs."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for letting me know, the problem seemed to be fixed a few days ago. I think it is the ge.tt sight, as I uploaded a new file of a small game there and received the same message about denied access request. Other times it works.

I am going to try a different save system such as google docs, dropbox, or creating a BGG page. At least the contest is a couple months away. Sorry for these issues. Thanks, -Chad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Started putting folded files in google drive, as well as some other games. The link can be found at the top of the thread. Hope this works better for everyone. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Drake
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146650/fireknife
badge
Burn to learn / learn to burn
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, those are visible.

I'm confused about how to make the components. The rules suggest that the cards are two-sided. Do I print the card sheet two-sided, or cut out pairs of squares and fold them or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |