Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been reading the rules and watching the how to play videos. I understand the multi-player here is a FFA style where multiple players can gang up on one if they will.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be. It can also be "attack the player to your left" or teams. I personally won't be playing multuplayer at all. If we have four people, I'd rather do round robin 1v1 and play three games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
It can be. It can also be "attack the player to your left" or teams. I personally won't be playing multuplayer at all. If we have four people, I'd rather do round robin 1v1 and play three games.

Yep, me too. I see this as a 1v1 game, tournament-style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That´s what I thought, just wanted to make sure I wasn´t missing anything. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a neat game, but not sure I really need another 1v1 game. Summoner Wars says it will support 4 players, but it just seems kind of tacked on to be able to do it, but not like the ideal 1v1 game. So I'm wary of that with this game as well, but may keep my eye on it just for the heck of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
Looks like a neat game, but not sure I really need another 1v1 game. Summoner Wars says it will support 4 players, but it just seems kind of tacked on to be able to do it, but not like the ideal 1v1 game. So I'm wary of that with this game as well, but may keep my eye on it just for the heck of it.

Ashes legit supports multiple players, since it's baked right into the core rules (unlike Summoner Wars, which is basically "play two 1v1 games side by side! If you've got three players, one person plays two armies!"). Basically, everyone in a multiplayer Ashes game simply acts in sequence and it's a free-for-all (although there's no reason you couldn't do a variant like "you can only attack the player on your left" etc.). You determine who the "first player" is during the first prepare phase based on who rolls the most "basic" dice results, and it then passes around the table to the left every round.

Worth noting that there isn't really any upper limit on the number of players (although you can only play up to about 4 out of one core set since you're limited by the available dice and cards). In particular, the rules explicitly mention drafting with 5 or more players, which implies that Plaid Hat has at least tested larger scale Ashes games.

You can find the rules here, if you want to see for yourself how the game works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank Slaak, I'll have really look more into it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you get a chance to look at it, Greg. While I doubt I'll play more than head to head, I think it can support it really well. I like the idea of "attack the player to your [left or right]" since it avoids people ganging up on someone, allows four people to play, and still preserves the feel of a 1v1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered it Donny.

I figured that I might as well do it now with the pre-order price and get the promos. Otherwise I'd get it from MM or CSI but have to pay for the promos later.

Look forward to getting it and trying it out. I will try out the multi-player version I'm sure and see how that goes. Though I'm sure I'll play 2P as well at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lucero
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite formats in Magic: The Gathering is Two-headed Giant. If that format can work well in Ashes, I will be a happy camper indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ash1138 wrote:
One of my favorite formats in Magic: The Gathering is Two-headed Giant. If that format can work well in Ashes, I will be a happy camper indeed!

Two-headed giant actually might be a little tricky. Teams are perfectly possible, but you can't really share "life totals" in Ashes. I guess maybe you could cause excess damage to one Phoenixborn cascade over to the other, and rule that a Phoenixborn can't be killed unless its partner has 1 life or is dead, but that's kind of complicated.

For teams, you'd also want to be careful about seating order, since you wouldn't be sharing turns like in Magic. You'd either want to sit every other person on a different team (so that no team gets turns back-to-back), or else sit together but pass the first player token in a figure 8 pattern (to ensure that back-to-back turns don't happen twice consecutively for a single team).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
sit together but pass the first player token in a figure 8 pattern (to ensure that back-to-back turns don't happen twice consecutively for a single team).

This is how team-based Star Wars LCG works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.