Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Person
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The card Mind Games states: "You may discard a card to force a character of the opposite gender to help you in combat, but they get the first pick of treasure...".

The problem is, to my understanding, that players are not inherently owed treasure for assisting unless "paid" to do so. So if they are being forced to assist they are not being offered any compensation to do so, and as a result, would get first pick from a total of zero picks available to them.

I am aware that the player forced to assist could theoretically haggle for additional rewards for usage of assiting cards and etc... But the wording on the card implies that it is a modification of a pre-existing rule as opposed to an enforcement of options in a potential bargain for more "complaint" assistance lol...

Any thoughts? Maybe I am missing something glaringly obvious.... Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alephhat wrote:
TBut the wording on the card implies that it is a modification of a pre-existing rule

That's how I read it.

If you use Mind Games the helper must be given at least one treasure and get first pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rulebook, first page, bottom right hand corner, there is a boxed section named "Conflicts between cards and rules".
It states "...when the rules disagree with a card, follow the card". This is fairly normal with most card games. There are some special conditions listed there as well, so give that section a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Person
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
megaMF wrote:
In the rulebook, first page, bottom right hand corner, there is a boxed section named "Conflicts between cards and rules".
It states "...when the rules disagree with a card, follow the card". This is fairly normal with most card games. There are some special conditions listed there as well, so give that section a look.

I am familiar with card games and the issue of rules exceptions due to card text... What i am saying is that the text says that the other player gets first pick of the treasure when, in fact, the rules do not say that any treasure needs to be shared in the first place. It is needlessly offering first pick of something that does not event exist without any particular "exception" that adds in a treasure sharing clause. It is creating a rules exception for a rule that doesnt even exist as far as i know, and that is what makes it confusing. Usually rules exceptions are written in response/ modification of a rule. It doesn't specify that there is an exception that treasure must be shared or in what amount- it just says that the other player gets first pick when, in fact, there may be nothing offered for them to pick from.

In summary,for simplicity, if the card is forcing the other player to cooperate, why would I, as the first player, offer ANY treasure since treasure is offered as a "bribe" to get cooperation in the first place. If that is the case, what are they getting first pick of if the quantity they get to pick from is zero. In that case it seems completely pointless to include that text/ exception on the cards instructions.

The point i am making is that the inclusion of that text implies a modification of a rule that i may have possibly missed, I may have missed the context, or the text inclusion was pointless... In either case it has generated confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
Australia
Toowoomba
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you maybe overthinking it too much? Afer all it is Munchkin. If the card says give them a treasure, why not just give them a treasure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.