Hide
2 Posts

B-17: Queen of the Skies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Aborting mission or Navigator SW/KIA = Out of Formation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Voreck
msg tools
Hi, guys! Being a long time lurker, I greatly enjoyed browsing the QotS section here as the game had brought me many hours of enjoyment as a kid.

It brought back such nostalgia that I actually searched the house to see if my copy was still around.

Sure enough, I found it! Untouched for 30 years! The AH Joe Demacro boxed version, I believe it is known as. I was even more thrilled to find out that everything was still intact and in great condition. I still had a single intact mission sheet and a single campaign sheet available to copy.

I can't believe my then-12-year-old self had the common sense to NOT write on the last originals and to only use photocopies!

I even have the original dice! And even better, I was only missing a single chit out of the 88 original! Just a "Serious Wound" chit.

Anyway, thanks to the "cheat sheet" outline one of you guys kindly posted here last March, I was quickly able to fly two missions.

My questions arising out of the games are these:

1) If the bombardier is SW/KIA prior to bombing and if I didn't abort, does the plane fly with the formation and go through flak without dropping the bombs?

Since I was already in the target zone when he got SW, I just assumed that the plane would stay in formation, jettison its bombs, and suffer through the flak and return back.

What actually happened to me, in a "light flak" environment, I took a SINGLE freak hit which ruined then pilot compartments's electrical system which forced a bail out! Unbelievable. The bombardier, being SW, was doomed on the plane. All others were captured except for two who somehow managed to evade capture and return to England. I wondered if I should have aborted prior to the run, which also leads me to ask the next question as well.

[ANSWERED. I just found the newly revised data sheets uploaded here where it says if Bombardier is SW/KIA then bomb run is automatically Off Target, which means, I assume, the Navigator dropped them. In any case, I still roll for the Off Target Results]

2) If I decide to abort a mission or am forced to abort, does it mean that the plane is Out of Formation for the remainder of the mission? My belief is that, yes, it is OoF. I just wanted to make sure because another part of me was rationalizing with "Well, I wouldn't be the ONLY plane having to abort, wouldn't we still be sticking together in some semblance of a formation?"

[ANSWERED. Jasta has already posted in response to a similar question. Yes, the plane is out of formation when it aborts.]

3) Table B1-4 "Wounds" Notes say that if the Navigator is SW/KIA then "Table P-1 Note b applies." That table, in turn, says "If out of formation, B-17 must spend 2 turns in each future odd-numbered zone entered. (Roll twice for fighter waves)." Does that imply that the plane is now Out of Formation or only IF I was already out of formation will I be subject to the 2 turn/zone requirement?

Apologies for the lengthy and meandering post but I also wanted to thank you all for your passion and ongoing support for this wonderful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Voreck wrote:

3) Table B1-4 "Wounds" Notes say that if the Navigator is SW/KIA then "Table P-1 Note b applies." That table, in turn, says "If out of formation, B-17 must spend 2 turns in each future odd-numbered zone entered. (Roll twice for fighter waves)." Does that imply that the plane is now Out of Formation or only IF I was already out of formation will I be subject to the 2 turn/zone requirement?

Rob, welcome back to a great game!

I see you found answers to the first two questions, as for the third, The two turn penalty is ONLY if you are out of formation. You do not have to drop out of formation unless damage requires you to. One such being oxygen out and the crewmen can't move to a spot where there is a dead crewmember.

Enjoy!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.