Hide
16 Posts

Tide of Iron» Forums » Rules

Subject: Units per action turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan blank
msg tools
Just got the game, playing the introductory scenario "Mons Again" It says each player must activate two units per action card. So that means that german player who goes first with his army of 4 tanks activates ALL of his units on the first turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
steantera wrote:
Just got the game, playing the introductory scenario "Mons Again" It says each player must activate two units per action card. So that means that german player who goes first with his army of 4 tanks activates ALL of his units on the first turn?

No, just 2, then the American players takes 2 and they keep on alternating turns until all units have been assigned an activation token (which in the case of this particular scenario will be pretty quickly . I also assume you mean action TURN rather than action CARD?

An action turn consists of a number of activations; so if it says "actions per turn 2"; this means that each side takes two actions or "turns",- but in this case that wording would be ambiguous, which is what I believe causes the confusion here-,and then the other side does the same.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forums and I hope you've been enjoying this great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan blank
msg tools
Yeah, that's what I meant. "Turn"

Thanks!

I might as well ask this Line of Sight question here. Is this LOS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would say so, because by shifting los slightly, yu can establish it between the two units; it's not blocked on BOTH sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the map edge (half hex) would be considered blocking terrain.
If you look in the edition one rule book on page 18:
Half Hexes
Around the outside frame of the game board, every other hex will be a “half hex.” These hexes are not part of the game, and cannot be entered or counted for any reason.

I know that the above quote is referencing movement, but I believe it would also pertain to LOS, as you must treat the half hexes as if they're not there.

Since the woods is there I would say that LOS is blocked between the two units you have drawn the red arrows between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Piippo
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not line-of-sight.ninja The rules state that line-of-sight is established from the center of the hex. Line-of-sight is not blocked when starting in the center of the hex only one side of a hex is blocked. To block line-of-sight both sides of the hex need to be blocked or a line in traced through any part or a blocking terrain hex. See Page 23 of the rules at least in the "large box" TOI, I do not have NW TOI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wagner
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not line of site. See graphic:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wagner
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiser33 wrote:
Half Hexes
Around the outside frame of the game board, every other hex will be a “half hex.” These hexes are not part of the game, and cannot be entered or counted for any reason.

I know that the above quote is referencing movement, but I believe it would also pertain to LOS, as you must treat the half hexes as if they're not there.

Since the woods is there I would say that LOS is blocked between the two units you have drawn the red arrows between.

You can trace LOS through half hexes on the side of the board. This would make no sense if you could not. As long as the terrain type in the half hex is non-blocking terrain, you may trace LOS through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kaiser33 wrote:
Half Hexes

I tend to agree with you. I missed the woods hex. Should have enlarged the picture, i guess.

Indeed the rules as quoted above do imply that no los could be traced, even through a clear half hex. That does feel a bit weird somehow, though. But that could just be me. I get it yu can't place any units there, move through it etc, but los i would allow it. Note though, that the rules as quoted above do NOT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan blank
msg tools
Is this considered Line of Sight? Because of the half hexes i'm not sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Beckett
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiser33 wrote:
Half Hexes

Wow, I have never played that way Nate, I would always assume LOS in an empty half hex.

steantera wrote:

So based on what I said above I would say yes.

---John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
steantera wrote:

No because by somewhat shifting the line, it would either pass through the build ing hex or the half hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
boersma8 wrote:
steantera wrote:

No because by somewhat shifting the line, it would either pass through the build ing hex or the half hex.

The lower red line of course does have los!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Willem. Forward hex of house has LOS, but the back hex would not as the LOS line passes through 2 blocking hexes (House and Half-Hex).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Beckett
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread Shift:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1402390/line-sight-examp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus A
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmb
steantera wrote:

As I read the rules and apply them to the pic, LOS is in fact established between the Americans and the German medic squad since there is no LOS obstruction between the squads in question.

Consider the governing LOS rule.

Tide of Iron NW, Rules of Play: Determining Line of Sight between Units on the Same Level of Elevation, Pg 22 wrote:
If there is no elevation difference between the attacking and the target units, trace the straight firing line (using a ruler or a piece of paper) between the center of their two hexes (i.e., the hex of the firing unit and the hex of the target unit). If there is no blocking terrain on the same level or a higher level between these two points, a clear line of sight is established and the attack may proceed. If the firing line, at any point, intersects a hex containing blocking terrain, no LOS can be established and the attacking unit is not eligible to attack.

Therefore, the half hex rule cited previously does not prevent this LOS from being established in this or similar cases. That is because, by rule, LOS in TOI is established precisely because there is no intervening LOS obstruction(s) between the units in question—as explained in the rule itself.

So we can conclude that if a half hex is “not part of the game” and “cannot be counted for any reason,” then it stands to reason that a half hex cannot count as a LOS obstruction.

With this in mind, and since the German medic squad and the Americans would be firing at each other along a hex edge, we need only to shift the firing line toward the half hexes, as explained in the rules [Firing along Hex Edges, pg 23], to establish there is no LOS obstruction along that line and, thus—bingo—we have LOS.

Uh, …I suggest we all hunker down. surprise

That’s not to say that I don’t have a problem with the wording of the half hex rule, which certainly has, and can, lead to confusion.

Perhaps to avoid inevitable LOS questions, the wording should be modified to permit half hex use in establishing LOS—if only for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.