Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mackenzie
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished our first ever game of TI3. It was everything I had hoped, although some of the aspects of the gameplay turned out to be way less significant than I had imagined. For instance, I was looking forward to the impacts of the 'political' strategy, but it just seemed to accumulate bonus tokens round on round (there were always more pressing matters to attend to).

Trade was also an underwhelming aspect of gameplay, we imagined that there would be more to it. This was even with the Emirates of Hacan trading action cards. One of the players asked if there were any limits on trade - for instance, could we trade control of planets? Could we trade technologies? Could we trade ships?

I couldn't find anything in the rules about this, and assumed the answer was no. I haven't yet found anything in the forums post-game. Are there rules around this, or is it an implied game mechanic? Do others play with any options like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
Politics is a great way to shut down an opponent if you can get a law to pass. I played one game where a law would have allowed players to sell tech for cash. Four players voted against the law which meant that no one could gain any technology that turn. That meant that the guy that still had the unused Tech strategy was unable to get his free tech.
In another game a law was passed that reversed the resources and influence of planets, which turned Mecatol Rex into a great system for building fleets.
Politics is also a great source of Action Cards which can really be used to screw people over.

Trade is nice because it supplies most of the trade goods in the game. It is also a great tool for buying off neighbouring warmongers. Give the Sandrak or Mentak one of your better trade agreements and maybe they'll look elsewhere to expand.

I can't comment too much on the Hacan. I have only seen them played once and that player was not trading Action Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
bulgarilla wrote:
We just finished our first ever game of TI3. It was everything I had hoped, although some of the aspects of the gameplay turned out to be way less significant than I had imagined. For instance, I was looking forward to the impacts of the 'political' strategy, but it just seemed to accumulate bonus tokens round on round (there were always more pressing matters to attend to).

Trade was also an underwhelming aspect of gameplay, we imagined that there would be more to it. This was even with the Emirates of Hacan trading action cards. One of the players asked if there were any limits on trade - for instance, could we trade control of planets? Could we trade technologies? Could we trade ships?

I couldn't find anything in the rules about this, and assumed the answer was no. I haven't yet found anything in the forums post-game. Are there rules around this, or is it an implied game mechanic? Do others play with any options like this?

My group has also identified TradeII and Assembly as "weaker" strategy cards. We use a variant where we combine trade II with the merc rules from TradeIII which gives Trade a bit more power, and we use the political variant where everyone reveals one political agenda to make a pool of policies that whomever chooses Assembly can nominate from.

The political variant I think originated from the Ascension ruleset.

Try these modified SC's out, I think they enhance the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mackenzie
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
Trade Goods are the only thing that can be traded freely and at any time. Other than that The Hacan can trade Action Cards which means they can barter Action Cards and Trade Goods in any combination, act as brokers for AC's and so on.

Nothing else is trade-able. Still you can technically exchange planets by scuttling units during the Status Phase or simply move them away to allow the other player to land units. You would still lose your trade agreement.

Thank-you. Yes, this was how we ruled on the day.

And thanks for these suggestions. I should hasten to add that we only played with three players - so there was limited scope for negotiation over trade agreements. I can see how this would be different with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of aspects of the game are very different with 3 players. It's much more a direct conflict game at that point because the opportunities for negotiation and politicking are signifacantly more limited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.