Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 8 year old daughter that i sometimes play games with. However most of the time I play with my wife and other adults. I am debating on buying this today.

How fun is it for adults? Ive heard that its a very boring game. a friend of mine said table top made it look like more fun then it actually is.

Is that true? If so I may just get Forbidden stars, cause it son amazon for $65. Formula D is almost $60 at my local shop (I prefer to support local is possible)

Think I should pick this up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Race! Formula 90 first!

But if you like dice rolling, lots of counting, buy FD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I can not tell you how the newer version is other than it looks more cartoonish. I have the original and my family still loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Robinson
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's certainly a fun race game IMHO. However, it is still a roll & move game with some strategy involved & different dice values mitigating the outcome. People end up counting the spaces their car can move in a particular gear - second is a d4 up to 6th which is a D20. The corners are where you decide what's best - do you stay in 5th gear to make sure you can stop in that corner, or do you go for 6th, roll that D20 and still HOPE you only roll high enough to stop in the corner?? Do you take a tyre or wear point, or play it safe until later in the race?

Have you watched any other playthrough videos it may help?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morley

Lebanon
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten it out with a fairly wide audience not as young as 8 but the basic game should be understandable to her if she is good with rolling dice and counting.

I've only been able to play the basic game and map as every time I play, the people are new.

I find it fun but would like to play the full game some time to really get an appreciation for it (adding oil slicks and weather events, etc).

It has been well received at every play but it can talk longer depending on the number of players and how many times everyone counts out routes. That can be controlled though and I wouldn't say it is boring. In its basic form, a decent gateway game that supports tons of people.

I have yet to try it 2 player, I bet that would be quick and might lack the element of verbal interactions. (smack talk and such).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found it enjoyable as a family and group game. Even had someone volunteer to run it at BryceCon this past January and it was well-attended and went smoothly. So I'd say it can appeal to a wide variety of people, if they have an interest in racing, some laughs at the randomness and trying to make the turns, etc. I really didn't like the TableTop showing of it, and probably would've never picked it up if I'd seen that first.

I'll admit, I'd like to add machine guns and rocket launchers to it, but my wife won't play then.. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is very fun. If you're planning to play with your friend who said it's boring, then that person will make it less fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take whatever advice makes sense to you and your group. I had both D and De and love them both. With small numbers of players controlling 2 cars will make it more engaging and there's less chance of runaway leader. But please take this advice above all others, take no advice from someone who hasn't played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might solve my dilemma, cause im still on the fence. I mainly only play with 2-3 players. 4 if my daughter is playing.

Rarely will i get to play with more then that, that's if i bring it to my local shop.

Maybe once a month i might be able to play 5 players (not counting the comic book shop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, I suppose my microbadge will show a bias but anyway...

Yes it's 'roll and move' and yes, die rolls can make a big difference. Having typed that, I would argue this game has more strategy than some give it credit for.

So maybe it comes down to your personality.

If needing a 10-12 to win and you roll a 9 and lose causing you to gnash your teeth and go "this game sucks, it's all luck" well this isn't the game for you.

If on the other hand, you roll an 11 and can gloat with "eat my dust, suckers !" pulling away for the victory than I highly recommend it.

Sure, it's annoying to lose because you missed a key die roll but so what, it's fast, you can quickly set up and play again - and next time you'll make that corner !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fun with a basic/advanced and expert modes. We are playing a series of races , giving points for how you finish. We also painted the cars- A-Team van, Mystery machine, bandits Camaro, KIT, General Lee, Herbie, Starsky and Hutch car, Death Proof and drawing a blank on the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought it a couple years ago when my son was 9. We liked it for about 3-4 plays but it didn't have any staying power for us. Very boring. I guess you could say there is some strategy, but it's surface deep. One of the worst boardgaming experiences of my life was when we played with 7...excruciatingly tedious.

My copy is currently listed on the marketplace, I'll give you a great deal if you decide to purchase the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is a fun game.
As previously mentioned there is some strategy involved especially if running multiple laps and using pit stops.

Any board game will involve dice, cards or a (point) system for moving pieces on the board.
There is no getting around the luck factors and space counting... so I think it really comes down to theme...

I enjoy Formula D and wish I could get it to the table more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK,

A LOT of anyone's opinion of this game boils down to their tendency to enjoy the theme. Yes, it's a GREAT game for what it's SUPPOSED to be. So... if you enjoy racing, then there's a very GOOD chance you'll enjoy this game (as opposed to liking racing but finding that the game isn't good).

However, if you don't care about racing, then yeah, you might find this game boring. Does your friend like racing? This is the same as with any other thematic game - no matter how well a game plays, the theme will be a huge factor to most people's desire to replay.

And about it being a roll and move... I agree with some comments above that this game DOES have strategy! Otherwise how to you explain how certain people consistently when tournaments years after year? It's sort of like poker... successful game play isn't always in the draw of the cards... Or in this case, the roll of the dice.

There's no luck when it comes to deciding which gear to be in.

And about ages... only you know your eight year old. I played it with my 9 YO grandson a few years ago without any issues. But quite frankly, I mostly see adults playing it more than kids.

And finally - about playing with two players: I first started playing this game with two players and "naturally" we both played with two cars each (just like real F1, each F1 team controls two cars in the race). That's why the game comes with two matching cars for each team. So for a two-player game, you'll have four cars on the track. I've read in these forums where some people only put one car each on the track when they play two or three player, and then wonder why the game is boring.

FWIW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James P. E. Reynolds
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Formula D is a fun game.
As previously mentioned there is some strategy involved especially if running multiple laps and using pit stops.

Any board game will involve dice, cards or a (point) system for moving pieces on the board.
There is no getting around the luck factors and space counting... so I think it really comes down to theme...

I enjoy Formula D and wish I could get it to the table more often.

I couldn't agree more, especially about the importance of theme.

I would also like to add that age and skill level are factors for me. I mainly play with my 7 and 9yo sons who are novice gamers. Formula D is perfect for them. It is a good gateway/intro game if you gaming group is more casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stéphane B

Gatineau
Québec
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game yesterday, with two friends.. road rules, 2 cars each, and we had a blast.

We've played about 4 Formula D games in the last couple of months since we got the game, and we enjoy it.

BUT, we're the type of group to really go into the theme and really play out the characters, which makes it even more hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f homess

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 year old daughter loves this game (started playing when she was 5)... she doesn't fully get the gear shifting options, but she loves the racing concept. She needs a fair amount of guidance on movement and is just starting to get the concept that losing WP is ok. She plays basic rules while I play advanced. I help her with gear selection regularly. I'll often run an extra car or two to keep it interesting for me, but it's really more about helping her learn to do things like weigh choices and think about possible outcomes. The fun is mostly just playing together, and to some extent I think she likes it a lot because I like it a lot.

I agree with those that say if the theme appeals to your kid, they'll like it. The basic rules are certainly accessible to kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: For my best advice, skip to the last paragraph of this post. Formula D/De is a tricky beast. With the right group, it can be very fun. With the wrong group, it can be excruciating. At least in my experience. One method I've found that greatly improves the speed and fun of the game (for us), is to adopt a house rule that prohibits counting spaces before moving your car.

Roll the dice, put your finger on your car, and start moving. I imagine the die-hard strategists around here might tar and feather me for suggesting such a thing, but I think it adds a ton of excitement to the game (and speeds it up considerably). Plus, maybe it's even more realistic to fly toward the curve and choose your line on the fly--maybe you'll crash and burn, maybe you'll weave through like a pro. It's definitely a lot more fun (for us) than counting out the spaces in Possible Route #1, then comparing that to the number of spaces in Possible Route #2, then counting up Possible Route #3, etc.

My Best Advice: Given the information you shared, if you really want to pick up a racing game--buy Snow Tails. It is similar to Formula D but plays in a fraction of the time, it is a better game for smaller groups, and I bet your daughter would vastly prefer dog-sled racing to formula racing. I love Snow Tails, and once I bought it I ditched FD, never looking back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

DavidT wrote:
if you really want to pick up a racing game--buy Snow Tails. It is similar to Formula D

Can't argue with the suggestion to try out Snow Tails. But to say it's similar to Formula D??? I admit it's been a long while since I've played Snow Tails, so perhaps I'm forgetting something, but the only similarity the two games share are the words, "race" and "racing".

Mechanics are drastically different, theme is drastically different, board is drastically different, etc. Am not trying to quibble for the sake of it, but I just don't want readers who don't know Snow Tails to seek that game expecting an experience similar to Formula D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

DavidT wrote:
if you really want to pick up a racing game--buy Snow Tails. It is similar to Formula D

Can't argue with the suggestion to try out Snow Tails. But to say it's similar to Formula D??? I admit it's been a long while since I've played Snow Tails, so perhaps I'm forgetting something, but the only similarity the two games share are the words, "race" and "racing".

Mechanics are drastically different, theme is drastically different, board is drastically different, etc. Am not trying to quibble for the sake of it, but I just don't want readers who don't know Snow Tails to seek that game expecting an experience similar to Formula D.

Hmm. I find the board layout and movement mechanic to be very similar. Both feature a track divided into lanes, which are then further subdivided into individual spaces. Once you determine your speed (via dice in FD and cards in ST), you must move that number of spaces, changing lanes where necessary and stopping a certain number of times in the corners. Racing "lines" are simulated the same in both games, with inside corners being faster (but requiring more finesse to navigate, due to the speed/stop limit).

Now, of course, there are significant differences--most notably, how speed and steering are regulated. But, for me, the fundamental movement mechanic is two shades of the same color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Snow Tails and Formula D are much more different than similar. One is powered by dice and the other cards. One has gears and one does not. One has a modular track and one does not. One has laps and pits and one does not. Other than the idea being to be the first to go the distance required for the win, I think that's it. As far as lanes goes, I think every board racing game I've played has lanes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I think Snow Tails and Formula D are much more different than similar. One is powered by dice and the other cards. One has gears and one does not. One has a modular track and one does not. One has laps and pits and one does not.

When I first played Formula De, I thought: "How clever! The dice simulate gears and you have to be careful about not going too fast, because speed will kill you if you blow a corner. It effectively simulates a good racing line, and the speed limit in the corners is the other piece of the puzzle that makes this kinda brilliant."

Then, when I played Snow Tails, I thought: "Okay, so this sort of does the same thing. But in addition to speed being such a big deal in the corners, now I also need to worry about steering. Still, though, finding the right racing line is paramount, and again, the speed limit in the corners is a big piece of the puzzle."

Now, obviously, they have a lot of elements that are different. You've listed them ably. However, having a modular track doesn't make the basic movement mechanic feel different (and FD is equivalent, anyway, since it has expansion maps). Having gears doesn't make it feel different (the end effect in both games is the same--it takes a while to speed up and it takes a while slow down). And having laps and pits? That's just more of the same underlying movement mechanic.

Ultimately, for me, the speed management/racing line/corner navigation is the core of both games. The rest is just chrome. FD also has weather, debris and all manner of other more complicated systems. But the core feels roughly the same, to me.

rickert wrote:
As far as lanes goes, I think every board racing game I've played has lanes.

How many force you to stop a certain number of times in the corners? How many have lanes of unequal length that realistically simulate a racing line?

You may have played a ton more racing games than I have (and the answer to those questions may be "all of them"). I've only played a handful, so I don't know. But, yeah, they all have lanes. FD and ST are the only two I've played, though, that have lanes of different "speeds" (i.e., different number of spaces) that require you to regulate speed and steering accordingly. Maybe that's why I lump them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff B
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Briefly, I used to bring Formula De to work where we had a mix of people, from girls in their 20's to guys in their 40's. Everyone picked up the strategy quickly (perhaps with a VERY brief pointer to enter the turns slow so you can leave in a higher gear).

With each person, roughly six, running one car, we could knock out a lap in about an hour and by the second or third turn everyone had an understanding of the games mechanics and a decent handle on strategy, with first timers winning more often than not.

Don't be intimidated by the age suggestions on the packaging either. My son was playing FD when he was 6 or 7. As long as your child has an attention span, she should grasp it pretty easily and adults always seem to have a good time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've owned both Formula Dé and Formula D. It is one of my go to games with light gamers. My 7 year old son has loved it for several years, too.

But until a couple weeks ago, I would avoid playing with too many players because of down time between turns. And with an AP player, a race can take forever. I can understand people thinking it is a boring game, because it can go poorly with the wrong mix, feeling the opposite of a high speed race.

Then I bought 4 sets of extra dice when an online store was having a big sale. And now I am buying enough dice to have a set for the max player count.

Each player having their own set of dice completely changes the game. Instead of hunting for 4th gear, agonizing over your move, passing the dice, and twiddling your thumbs while you wait for your turn and the dice again, we go almost simultaneously.

Everybody chooses their gear and rolls their chosen die at the same time. We then resolve driving in a normal fashion, but everybody can be gauging where they will end up ahead of their turns. You watch each player go because you have a number in front of you that is shifting as they move.

It plays much faster this way and is far more fun. It makes you pay attention to what the people around you are doing, and it creates a sense of urgency for each person's turn.

I will never play the game without each player having a set of dice again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pooley
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
I've only played it once since I bough it in a 3 player game with two cars each on Monaco and thought it was excellent.

There is plenty of strategy to the game to get to and through corners in the most efficient way and although we did have one drive away winner his second car got bogged down on the last corner which allowed the other two of us to come in second and 3rd.

Good and bad dice rolling can change things and sometimes you do get a run away winner in an F1 race.

A good simulation - Different from Thunder Alley which is card driven but equally as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.