Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Keyflower last night and today I'm reviewing everything I did wrong.

In the two player game there is only ONE start player boat tile that says: "1 + meeple".

If I am the first player in the game and NO ONE bids on the first player tile, I understand the rules say that the first player passes to the left. But my question is, who gets to take the first boat?

I want to say it goes, 1) Purple piece is passed to the left AND 2) Player 2 gets to pick the boat first. Is that right?

Because later in the rules I see on page 7 that if no player bids on the start player tile "the existing player remains the start player for the purposes of collecting boats." And then does this change again in winter?

I'm just looking for a definitive order of the Boat Collection and the passing of the Start Player Purple token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
I just played Keyflower last night and today I'm reviewing everything I did wrong.

In the two player game there is only ONE start player boat tile that says: "1 + meeple".

If I am the first player in the game and NO ONE bids on the first player tile, I understand the rules say that the first player passes to the left. But my question is, who gets to take the first boat?

I want to say it goes, 1) Purple piece is passed to the left AND 2) Player 2 gets to pick the boat first. Is that right?

Because later in the rules I see on page 7 that if no player bids on the start player tile "the existing player remains the start player for the purposes of collecting boats." And then does this change again in winter?

I'm just looking for a definitive order of the Boat Collection and the passing of the Start Player Purple token.

The person who has the start player token would select their boat first. The other player wold get what's leftover. Now that no one has bid on the start player tile, the token would pass to the other player.

This order doesn't change in winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm glad you posted this because in all the games i've played (many of them being 2 player) i've not had this come up and actually did not recall the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

The person who has the start player token would select their boat first. The other player wold get what's leftover. Now that no one has bid on the start player tile, the token would pass to the other player.

So...if I was the start player, I have the token so at the end of the round, I choose a boat first and then player two takes their boat and the token for the next round?

From this, the order is: 1) Select a boat 2) Pass the token

With more players there is a 1 tile that is separate from the 2+ meeple and I think that makes it easier to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

So...if I was the start player, I have the token so at the end of the round, I choose a boat first and then player two takes their boat and the token for the next round?

From this, the order is: 1) Select a boat 2) Pass the token

With more players there is a 1 tile that is separate from the 2+ meeple and I think that makes it easier to understand.

Yes on all counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks you for posting this. I think the rules on this are quite badly written shake

Another additional question:
In a 2p game. Given somebody bid on the start player tile. Let's say Player 1 is start player and Player 2 won the bid on the tart player tile.
Is the following correct?
1) Player 2 bid on the tile, so he becomes new start player BEFORE the boat is selected
2) Player 2 then selects a boat of his choice
3) Player 1 selects the remaining boat

So in the Winter round this would mean that whoever won the bid selects a boat to build in his village first.
Then the other player can select the other boat.
If nobody bid the starting player switches first and the new starting player will select the boat first. Because nobody bid on it the starting player tile is discarded in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Muad Dib wrote:
Thanks you for posting this. I think the rules on this are quite badly written shake

Another additional question:
In a 2p game. Given somebody bid on the start player tile. Let's say Player 1 is start player and Player 2 won the bid on the tart player tile.
Is the following correct?
1) Player 2 bid on the tile, so he becomes new start player BEFORE the boat is selected
2) Player 2 then selects a boat of his choice
3) Player 1 selects the remaining boat

So in the Winter round this would mean that whoever won the bid selects a boat to build in his village first.
Then the other player can select the other boat.
If nobody bid the starting player switches first and the new starting player will select the boat first. Because nobody bid on it the starting player tile is discarded in this case.

Everything you said was correct, except for...

Muad Dib wrote:
So in the Winter round...If nobody bid the starting player switches first and the new starting player will select the boat first. Because nobody bid on it the starting player tile is discarded in this case.

It states in the English rules on page 7, for the section End of season, 5. Turn order tiles, b. Winter, iii. - "In the unusual circumstances that no player bid for the new start player tile in winter, the existing start player remains the start player for the purposes of selecting the boat tiles and then the start player marker passes to the player on the start player's left."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rashiki wrote:

Muad Dib wrote:
So in the Winter round...If nobody bid the starting player switches first and the new starting player will select the boat first. Because nobody bid on it the starting player tile is discarded in this case.

It states in the English rules on page 7, for the section End of season, 5. Turn order tiles, b. Winter, iii. - "In the unusual circumstances that no player bid for the new start player tile in winter, the existing start player remains the start player for the purposes of selecting the boat tiles and then the start player marker passes to the player on the start player's left."

Which is the same as every other season as well right? If neither player bid on the start player tile, then the current start player chooses a boat first, and then the marker gets passed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United States
Greenfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
rashiki wrote:

Muad Dib wrote:

Which is the same as every other season as well right? If neither player bid on the start player tile, then the current start player chooses a boat first, and then the marker gets passed...

That's correct. It's the same for all the other seasons, as well. My guess is that the rule was repeated just to be sure to avoid any confusion, should someone think that the rule might be different for Winter, since Winter is different from other seasons in many other ways, but not on this particular point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.