Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are All Ships Unique? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Tholl
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any rule that ships are unique? Can I play with 3 Artful Dodgers in case a few people would like to play as it? Same with the Pirates and Bounty hunter ships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Each ship card represents a unique ship. But if you wanted to play with multiples of a single ship, why not?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wildi
msg tools
I think there is no rule. The four base fireflies are identical anyway...I'd say go for it. Thematically it makes sense, it's not like any of the ships are the Millennium Falcon, there are upwards of 40,000 fireflies in the verse, mostly they will be the same.

This raises a related issue that i've thought about once or twice regarding identical crew members. Why send crew to the graveyard when they are killed? why not return them to the deck from whence they came? Okay maybe Billy has been killed but in such a big 'verse there's bound to be another guy with the same abilities as Billy. Even someone like Mal isn't intrinsically special, there'll be other similar characters out there.
If you take this view it means you can justify playing with both the regular and BDH versions of Serenity's crew.
I don't do this but I think it's worth thinking about. Afterall we now have three Zoes out there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't imagine there being a problem, given that the base game gives you four copies of the same ship.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anoril wrote:
This raises a related issue that i've thought about once or twice regarding identical crew members. Why send crew to the graveyard when they are killed? why not return them to the deck from whence they came? Okay maybe Billy has been killed but in such a big 'verse there's bound to be another guy with the same abilities as Billy. Even someone like Mal isn't intrinsically special, there'll be other similar characters out there.
If you take this view it means you can justify playing with both the regular and BDH versions of Serenity's crew.
I don't do this but I think it's worth thinking about. Afterall we now have three Zoes out there.
Apart from the special cases like the Gun Hand, I wouldn't do this. There may be 40,000 ships out there, but there aren't 40,000 players round the table*; resources need to be scarce, and death needs to hurt.

* if there are 40,000 players round your table, post a photo!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would concur that it's not a good idea to recycle dead Crew. Using more than one Artful Dodger would be ok, but not reusing Crew. The fact that the Crew resources are scarce and unique is a major factor of the game play. It's just one step removed from just printing off multiple versions of any Crew you want and shuffling them into the deck so everyone can have a "Billy" at the same time. It's just not right!

Additionally it would unbalance some other aspects of the game, e.g. bounty hunting, which is supposed to result in a reducing number of Wanted Crew.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Wildi
msg tools
As I said, I DON'T do that but I don't find it difficult to reconcile thematically.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Bonarek
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Anoril wrote:
This raises a related issue that i've thought about once or twice regarding identical crew members. Why send crew to the graveyard when they are killed? why not return them to the deck from whence they came? Okay maybe Billy has been killed but in such a big 'verse there's bound to be another guy with the same abilities as Billy. Even someone like Mal isn't intrinsically special, there'll be other similar characters out there.
If you take this view it means you can justify playing with both the regular and BDH versions of Serenity's crew.
I don't do this but I think it's worth thinking about. Afterall we now have three Zoes out there.
Apart from the special cases like the Gun Hand, I wouldn't do this. There may be 40,000 ships out there, but there aren't 40,000 players round the table*; resources need to be scarce, and death needs to hurt.

* if there are 40,000 players round your table, post a photo!


Here is a picture of a group of us (maybe 40K+) around our table...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stout Youngblood wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
* if there are 40,000 players round your table, post a photo!


Here is a picture of a group of us (maybe 40K+) around our table...
Nice one.

At Expo we were joking that while some companies produce e.g. Giant Castle Panic or Giant Star Trek Catan for demo games, Firefly doesn't really need it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Stout Youngblood wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
* if there are 40,000 players round your table, post a photo!


Here is a picture of a group of us (maybe 40K+) around our table...
Nice one.

At Expo we were joking that while some companies produce e.g. Giant Castle Panic or Giant Star Trek Catan for demo games, Firefly doesn't really need it...


Hey, what else do you use your local Olympic Stadium for?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zane Beauchamp
msg tools
It's easy for me since my Artful Dodger came with 2 copies of the ship board. So if two people want the Dodger style ship they can both have it, just as long as they know what ship token belongs to them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Bonarek
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Stout Youngblood wrote:
Firedrake wrote:
* if there are 40,000 players round your table, post a photo!


Here is a picture of a group of us (maybe 40K+) around our table...
Nice one.

At Expo we were joking that while some companies produce e.g. Giant Castle Panic or Giant Star Trek Catan for demo games, Firefly doesn't really need it...


True, so very true, especially now with the Kalidasa expansion. So Glad we have a 4'x8' dinner table.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.