Subject: Event: Unstable Location with No Gates rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I ran into this situation playing solo where I drew the event unstable location which forces me to open a gate at my adventure, move to the corresponding OW and begin a new resolution phase. However I already have all the gates in play. Now normally if you have no more gates to play you spawn a monster, but in this case you're told to actually move to a specific place? I wasn't sure so I just spawned a monster at that adventure and removed the seal token that was on the adventure as well. Any one else encounter this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fifth
United States
flag msg tools
Unstable Location can be fiddly. Here's how I've played it in your case (at an Arkham Adventure with a seal token and all three gates open elsewhere):

"If at an other world, lose 1 sanity."
- The current adventure's not an Other World, so skip this text.
"Otherwise, open a gate at this adventure, removing any seal token and move to the corresponding Other World."
- Since a gate can't be opened as instructed, a monster appears instead due to the usual rules for opening gates. This monster actually appears according to the normal monster placement rules, so it might not end up at the current adventure.
- The comma implies that removing the seal token and moving to the corresponding Other World seems to be contingent on the gate actually opening. Since no gate opened at the current adventure, ignore this clause. So the seal token stays on the adventure and the active investigator doesn't move anywhere.
"Begin a new Resolution phase there."
- "There" seems to refer to "corresponding Other World", but there isn't one, so this text isn't relevant. So the active investigator just keeps going with the Resolution phase (no new event is drawn).

There might be room for other subtly different interpretations here, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, it sounds like such an unlikely scenario, but this sounds like the perfect answer if/when it does come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ansari
United States
Temple City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has happened to us in back-to-back games, and we resolved it exactly as Fifth has described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.