Hide
5 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Saving Unused Action Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Diaz
msg tools
The walkie talkie states "EQUIP: Once per round you may reduce the unused action die of another player by 1 to increase an unused action die you control by 1. You must be able to reduce a die to increase a die."

My question is can you reduce the unused action die of another player that already played his turn before you that round if they didn't use all of their action dice their turn.

The rulebook states "once a player has performed all of the actions she wishes (or if she runs out of actions she is able to perform) on her turn, play passes to the player on the left."

So if a player ends their turn prematurely with any unused dice remaining, do the those dice stay unused on other players turns?

This could be useful to help another player if they have the walkie talkie but they go last in a round. There are also a few crossroad cards that have options of moving unused action dice to the used action dice space which this can affect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds valid to me. Nothing in the rules states that you must use your dice, and in fact the "Roll Action Dice" part of the rules (pg. 8) states that "each player removes any action dice remaining in her used and unused action pool".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds valid to me too.
Although it would be very unusual situation where it would be worthy not to use all of your dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the ability is useable anytime during the round, not just on your turn. Many cards say "At the beginning if your turn...." or similar, but this says "Once per round"

I don't see why you couldn't interrupt someone's turn who is going before you and have them lower one of their action dice to raise one of yours. It makes sense to me thematically anyways And the game is punishing enough without having turn order punish you further.

I saw there was another thread on this card, and it appears this is the only card that gives some wording to make it questionable on when it's useable. We'll probably house rule it where you can use it anytime and not just on your turn (but still only once per round). It only lets you move a value of one die up by one, I don't think it's going to break the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be wary of allowing players to use the walkie talkie out of turn like that. Like you said, it's not going to break the game, but it might make other players, especially new players, think that they can do that kind of thing with any ability.

I think it's safer for everyone to assume that you can't actively do anything on other peoples' turns unless a card explicitly states that you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.