Legendary: Dark City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deck Running out and the Cost of Wounds rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Anez
Venezuela
flag msg tools
Good evening, I have two simple questions about the game in general

1.) What is the cost of a Wound in your deck? Several cards require you to consider the cost of a card. Is it 0? Is it just invalid and cards that ask for the Cost of a card ignore Wounds?

2.) There are Schemes that end the game when the Hero or Villain deck runs out. By running out, does it mean "The last card has been played" or "Someone tried to play a card and couldn't because it was empty?". The latter ends one turn later than the other and it's how most CCGs work but this isn't one so I wanted to clear that doubt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. A wound costs 0.

2. I use the second definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure the rules state somewhere that a deck runs out when you have to draw a card and can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SwapGoTron wrote:
2.) There are Schemes that end the game when the Hero or Villain deck runs out. By running out, does it mean "The last card has been played" or "Someone tried to play a card and couldn't because it was empty?". The latter ends one turn later than the other and it's how most CCGs work but this isn't one so I wanted to clear that doubt

If during your turn you draw the last card of the Villain and/or Hero deck, then finish the turn as usual. Once that turn has ended, the game is over. Normally, this would end the game in a draw signifying that you managed to save the city, but the mastermind escaped.

These schemes however are the exception where the game ends in a loss. So if you draw the last card of either of those decks on your turn, you must defeat the mastermind before the end of this turn or automatically lose the game.

Here's a PDF of the rulebook if you don't want to dig yours up.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/83353/marvel-legendary-ru...
Refer to page 16 (of the rulebook, not the PDF). It says:

Running out of Cards in the Hero Deck or Villain Deck
If either of these decks runs out of cards
before the Scheme is completed, finish
the turn, and then the players have
successfully survived the Scheme, but they
didn’t catch the Mastermind. As a result,
the game is a draw between good and evil.
The player with the most Victory Points
wins an individual victory. Be sure to get
the Mastermind next time

This rule still holds true, the only thing that changes is that evil wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Jacovis' Legendary FAQ, quoting Devin Low, the designer of the game:

Quote:
Playing the last card from the Villain deck means that at the end of that turn the game will end in a draw unless the players can pull off a victory before the end of the turn, which defeating the final Mastermind Tactic triggers immediately. (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11047741#11047741) – Devin Low

You can download the FAQ here:
Unofficial Collected FAQ, Clarifications, and Errata from the BGG forums with links.

Welcome to the Legendary BGG community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blipadouzi wrote:
These schemes however are the exception where the game ends in a loss. So if you draw the last card of either of those decks on your turn, you must defeat the mastermind before the end of this turn or automatically lose the game.

This rule still holds true, the only thing that changes is that evil wins.

Is that right? I would play to the end of the turn in the case of avoiding a draw, but in a scheme where evil wins if a deck runs out I would normally play that I lose as soon as the last card is drawn from the deck, just as I wouldn't play to the end of a turn after drawing the 8th scheme twist in the cosmic cube scheme (for example). Am I doing that wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Manning
msg tools
In cosmic cube, and other schemes where evil wins after final scheme twist, I also have always played where evil wins as soon as the twist comes up and do not finish that players hand. There have been a few times where the mastermind had one hit left and the person who drew final scheme twist had the hand to defeat him so would like to know others take k this. I like it my way because I already win more often than not and a good loss every now and then is good for the immune system,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I definitely play the way that Devin describes above, but that's only for what to do when those decks run out in general.

But for schemes that announce under what circumstances the game is a loss, I think you're supposed to stop playing as soon as it happens -- I don't think you get to play out the rest of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"When a deck runs out" is the moment when you draw the last card from it. Otherwise it would say something like, "If you cannot draw a Villain card because the Villain deck is empty, the game ends in a draw."

It's like being told to go buy some more milk when it runs out. You go buy the milk right after you pour the last glass -- you don't wait until someone later tries to pour a glass from the empty carton. That's how you get into trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.