Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Railways of the World
I'm still reading the threads while waiting my copy of the game.
I wonder what's the most used for you that have already played the game.
I also wanted to ask about biding systems, but I found an existent poll here.
1. Which hexes do you consider "water" hexes, costing $3,000?
Oceans and rivers.
Just rivers.
2. How do you handle your income after turning the scoring track around.
Your income wraps along with your score. (Starting from $0 again)
You add the highest level income to your actual income on the track.
Your income freezes at the highest level. (Staying constant for the rest of the game).
      77 answers
Poll created by alerce

PD:
a) Thanks for answering.
b) Sorry for the strange format. It's my first poll intent.
c) The mentioned poll for bidding systems is the 4th item here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halaska
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools

For the water hex question, our actual answer is we play that a coastal hex has to be more than 50% water to be considered water, otherwise it's plain land. We always make sure to agree on the borderline hexes beforehand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that any blue on the tile at all makes it a water tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:

Us as well. While it is occasionally weird and unthematic, it is a really straightforward rule to keep things simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
elitusprime wrote:

+1

Also, after several plays I've never seen someone actually wrap the scoring track. If you play with 4 or more people someone will likely have a plan that relies on the game ending earlier rather than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elitusprime wrote:
Us too, although there are some "edge cases" which mean old weak eyes are at a disadvantage. Much better when there's the 'white spot' (or is it circle) which clearly identifies water tiles without the need of a magnifying glass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
elitusprime wrote:

Us as well. While it is occasionally weird and unthematic, it is a really straightforward rule to keep things simple.

It's also the correct rule: if a hex has water-blue in it, it's a water hex.

For those who care about theme, the rationale is this: the extra cost for rivers isn't for crossing the river, but rather for the switchbacks needed to descend into and ascend out of the river valley, the need for meandering track to follow the river, and the expense of causeways over low or marshy ground. That's why you pay extra even if you don't actually cross the river.

For seacoast, the same reasoning applies, along with the need to "set money aside" for maintenance, because salt air makes metal rust faster.

All of this is represented in the game by just charging you more to build near water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for all your input!!
I hope my base game arrives tomorrow as expected.

I'm really impressed, with the income poll results. The variant is -at this time- actually even a bit more popular than the official interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alerce wrote:
Thanks a lot for all your input!!
I hope my base game arrives tomorrow as expected.

I'm really impressed, with the income poll results. The variant is -at this time- actually even a bit more popular than the official interpretation.

Play the wrap around per the official rules (your income starts going down even before you wrap around). Going back up make me think of the stock splitting or breaking up into new companies, etc. Normally, won't wrap unless playing on bigger maps or playing Eastern/West USA map combo (fun but long game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Wow, my poll thread is over five years old now. People still can't agree on the rules. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How do you handle your income after turning the scoring track around?

A. Your income wraps along with your score. (Starting from $0 again)
B. You add the highest level income to your actual income on the track
C. Your income freezes at the highest level. (Staying constant for the rest of the game).

In case anyone is looking to find where the official rule interpretation (option A) can be found, it is here and here.

By mistake the following sentences from the Railroad Tycoon rulebook were omitted from the Railways of the World rulebook, explaining how the income track is supposed to wrap around:
Quote:
"If a player earns more than 100 points, move the player’s token back to the beginning of the track and add 100 to their final score. If this occurs, the player’s income will be reduced, but will begin to rise again."

Also, presumably option C is meant to read "Your income freezes at $9" rather than "freezes at the highest level". The highest income level is actually $25 (which is around 45 points), but it drops down to $9 towards the end of the income track (which is around 99 points).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
Also, presumably option C is meant to read "Your income freezes at $9" rather than "freezes at the highest level". The highest income level is actually $25 (which is around 45 points), but it drops down to $9 towards the end of the income track (which is around 99 points).

Yes, you are right.
In B and C, "the highest level income" was meant to read as something like "the income on the highest track level", which for Eastern US scoring-track is $9.
I was just trying to generalize for other maps scoring tracks.
I hope it was clear for the voters.

By the way...thanks a lot Ender for your great, extense and imageful reviews, they were in part responsible for having this game at home now, and that the Europe map is on its way also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.