Sylvion» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Laskowski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up Sylvion about two weeks ago and have found it to be decidedly inconsistent in terms of difficulty. I have played about seven times with my wife and we have lost every single time, only once making it to the final advance. I have played it four times solo and have won every time.

I feel like I am super attuned to the details of the rulebook, but it feels way out of balance. You start with 6 instead of 8 and you draw two on reinforcements, but then your cards are only good if your partner has good cards. It feels way too difficult as is.

We are playing on the basic level, would it be easier on the advanced? I feel like it wouldn't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Join the club. I've played twice solo and won both times. We've played 2 or 3 times and got crushed in coop. That's not a big enough body of work to master the game but it's been pretty clear there's a big difficulty difference between solo and coop. We also have not tried the advanced game yet if only because we haven't won cooperatively on the beginner mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played 9 times cooperatively and still haven't won. It's a difficult challenge. At some point we will revisit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Try drawing 3 in co-op mode too maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Laskowski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we decided to try the advanced game with the extensions as well and actually won (for the first time) using and extraordinary feat card. We did draw three.

Yeah, its a bit of a challenge. We will see how long we play cooperatively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had exactly the same experience, we lost 4 times in a row playing 2 players, never played it solo yet so I can't compare.

I was wondering if I did something wrong and checked the rulebook a dozen times but now I guess it's just the way it is...

We have yet to try any of the expansions (or even learn how they work) do you think they make the game more "balanced"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrass wrote:
We have yet to try any of the expansions (or even learn how they work) do you think they make the game more "balanced"?

"Balance" is a difficult concept in a solo game! I think what Sylvion does well is give you lots of options for tweaking the difficulty setting to find something challenging, and then increasing it as you get more skilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Laskowski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it makes it any more or less difficult with the more complicated cards thrown in. It does make it more complex, but I feel like it also gives you a few cool new cards to work with.

The hardest part about going from the basic to advanced game (in my opinion) is the setting up your defender deck takes a bit of time and if you are a thinker, can take a long time as you deliberate over choices.

I like the added complexity, and the extraordinary feats cards are interesting ways to try and win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is somewhat unclear on this, but in both solo and two player you have the option to draw 3 or 2 cards depending on how difficult you want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
The rulebook is somewhat unclear on this, but in both solo and two player you have the option to draw 3 or 2 cards depending on how difficult you want it.

Hehe, the rulebook is "somewhat unclear" in that it doesn't say that at all. But I think you're right that it should!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Lisovsky
Russia
Kaliningrad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'd say the English rulebook is clearly wrong on this matter, see pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alpas wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. Taking 3 instead of 2 in the reinforcements makes the difference between "almost impossible" to "possible" to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flashshadow69 wrote:
alpas wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. Taking 3 instead of 2 in the reinforcements I makes the difference between "almost impossible" to "possible" to beat.

I was one of many complaining the game was too difficulty. I tried it with drawing 3 and found it quickly too easy. We went back to drawing 2 and changed our strategy with deck building up. We still lose more often than not but out win percentage has increased to roughly 30-40%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.