Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Q2 build strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Have Q2 coming up this weekend and I've got various build ideas. Seems a good scenario to take a JH Battleship to put Q on, since his negatives won't hurt it much, and I'm partial to Dominion builds anyway. I've also tested a Scimitar/Voyager build that didn't function too poorly with Q on the big S.

Then I realized the other day that instead of building the biggest thing available to host Q, that I could just build something a little bigger than the rest of my fleet. Enter a CVV-upgraded Suurok that, at hull 5 but only 23 points, would make a nice little Q boat. And that leaves me 97 points to get a squadron of Cardassian cruisers (and/or fighters, although I'm not sold on their value in this scenario).

Something like:

Suurok Class (18)
Vulcan Captain (0)
Combat Vessel Variant (5)
Total (23)

Reklar (26)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Boheeka (2)
Total (34)

Koranak (26)
Mr. Spock (5)
Gul Madred (Admiral) (5)
Breen Aide (2)
Total (38)

Cardassian Galor Class (28)
Data (3)
Total (31)

Fleet total: 126 (minus 6 when OEP discounts each Fed captain)

Generated by Space Dock for Android
http://spacedockapp.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CavLtBob wrote:

Then I realized the other day that instead of building the biggest thing available to host Q, that I could just build something a little bigger than the rest of my fleet.

Not bad. I got burned with Cardassians in Q1, so I'm shying away from them for awhile. Our Q2 is this weekend.

I do agree with your statement above.... I was thinking of going with an Avatar of Tomed to carry Q. He could cloak then "hover" (ie move backwards and forward) near the moon to "farm" the mission tokens (take a Power Grid to handle extra Aux). With a couple interphase generators he could safely turtle.

Meanwhile, send a hull 6 striker fast to the opponent. I've been trying to think up some nastiness with Faked Messages and the new Lure card from the Dauntless (even with the nerf) to get a ship over there quick and turn the opponent's best ship away so I get a "free shot".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Don't forget cloaked mines. My friend got smoked by them because his opponent placed them all around the moon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Not bad. I got burned with Cardassians in Q1, so I'm shying away from them for awhile. Our Q2 is this weekend.

Where were you playing at? Was it Game Kastle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
Heres my build. It would be ok if I wasn't going against Gul Madrad and Cloaked mines

Suurok Class 18

Suurok Class 18

I.K.S Ch'tang 22
Robert DeSoto 4
Fleet Captain Independent(Klingon) 5
Pavel Chekov (Remove Ox) 3
Elzabeth Shelby 2
William T. Riker(Plus 1 evade dice) 3
Advanced Cloak 5

Hideki Class attack squad 20

Federation Class attack squad 20

Basically line the 2 Suuroks where they will pass the moon on each side. Then let your fighters and ch tand do the damage. I only used t once and it work but my opponent didn't have mines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario actually really loves secondary weapons. Any of the fancy Romulan Disruptor weapons (Disruptor beams, I'm looking at you) are fantastic, as are Borg with secondary weapons such as magnetometric guided charges. The Romulans can make up for the lost base agility with their cloaks and the Borg don't care about the lost agility. Ships with effects that roll specified values work, too; Regent's Flagship, Voyager and Enterprise D specify the number of die they roll, and are unaffected by the Q effect, although they do somewhat suffer from the agility loss.

The Q effect only reduces the printed primary weapon value, and does not effect your other dice. The only upgrade this effects is the Dorsal Phaser Array.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeijiTataki wrote:
The Romulans can make up for the lost base agility with their cloaks and the Borg don't care about the lost agility.

Only a little. http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67...

SeijiTataki wrote:
Ships with effects that roll specified values work, too; Regent's Flagship, Voyager and Enterprise D specify the number of die they roll, and are unaffected by the Q effect, although they do somewhat suffer from the agility loss.

Nope. http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
SeijiTataki wrote:
. The Romulans can make up for the lost base agility with their cloaks and the Borg don't care about the lost agility. Ships with effects that roll specified values work, too; Regent's Flagship, Voyager and Enterprise D specify the number of die they roll, and are unaffected by the Q effect, although they do somewhat suffer from the agility loss.

You may be able to cloak but don't forget cloaked mines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
At one point I was considering cloaked mines, even with a Dominion fleet, since mining the gap between planet and moon is pretty smart. Mines aren't big in my local meta though, and when they appear I usually barge straight through. Is there anything about this scenario to worry about particularly with cloaked mines?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
CavLtBob wrote:
At one point I was considering cloaked mines, even with a Dominion fleet, since mining the gap between planet and moon is pretty smart. Mines aren't big in my local meta though, and when they appear I usually barge straight through. Is there anything about this scenario to worry about particularly with cloaked mines?

Well prefer to be evading this event or throwing a bouncy of attack dies with my Suurok-Fighter swarm. The thing is people will want to take mission tokens to fix the moon. However the planet will be surrounded by cloaked mines making it more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'd rather go in with the plan that I'm blowing up enemy ships to win, and just taking mission tokens as it's convenient (not needing attack arc, for example). Mining approaches to the moon is smart, but if you're spending your points on a serious mining operation, you should have a weakness elsewhere in your ships that I can exploit. Or maybe you don't, but there isn't that much anti-mine meta that you can run without it diluting your effectiveness in other areas,

If you're worrying about mines, I think you go back to something like a Scimitar kitted out to carry Q and still be effective at shooting people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
CavLtBob wrote:
I'd rather go in with the plan that I'm blowing up enemy ships to win, and just taking mission tokens as it's convenient (not needing attack arc, for example). Mining approaches to the moon is smart, but if you're spending your points on a serious mining operation, you should have a weakness elsewhere in your ships that I can exploit. Or maybe you don't, but there isn't that much anti-mine meta that you can run without it diluting your effectiveness in other areas,

If you're worrying about mines, I think you go back to something like a Scimitar kitted out to carry Q and still be effective at shooting people.

Trust me I would jump into attack dice but I realized mine proof gives you evade dice too. I guess I'm playing it 60 percent defense and 40 percent attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won the Q2 at my venue by using this list:

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Total (20)

Rav Laerst (26)
Gul Dukat (5)
Gul Madred (5)
Boheeka (2)
Aft Weapons Array (4)
Total (42)

Hideki Class Attack Squadron (20)
Galor Class Phaser Banks (7)
Total (27)

U.S.S. Enterprise (24)
Jean-Luc Picard (5)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Total (31)

Fleet total: 120

We play ship pure, Q went on the Rav Laerst and I ran it around in crazy angles shooting the Art array - the safest place was right in front of it. First time using Madred also, he knocked out Shinzon, Picard 9 with a Fleet Captain , and Gowron. O'Brien only got used once for newot great effect, I should have just used Picard 9 myself and been down to 119 points, or maybe add a shroud to the Rav.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMDMadCow wrote:
I won the Q2 at my venue by using this list:

I.R.W. Praetus (14)
Romulan Captain (0)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Cloaked Mines (3)
Total (20)

Rav Laerst (26)
Gul Dukat (5)
Gul Madred (5)
Boheeka (2)
Aft Weapons Array (4)
Total (42)

Hideki Class Attack Squadron (20)
Galor Class Phaser Banks (7)
Total (27)

U.S.S. Enterprise (24)
Jean-Luc Picard (5)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Total (31)

Fleet total: 120

We play ship pure, Q went on the Rav Laerst and I ran it around in crazy angles shooting the Art array - the safest place was right in front of it. First time using Madred also, he knocked out Shinzon, Picard 9 with a Fleet Captain , and Gowron. O'Brien only got used once for newot great effect, I should have just used Picard 9 myself and been down to 119 points, or maybe add a shroud to the Rav.

What an interesting build. Congrats on your success. Did you find the Rav was an attractive target? Seems like Q effect would make it a good target, but maybe once you get Madred off that isn't much of a concern?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Lin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koku ryu wrote:
SeijiTataki wrote:
The Romulans can make up for the lost base agility with their cloaks and the Borg don't care about the lost agility.

Only a little. http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67...

SeijiTataki wrote:
Ships with effects that roll specified values work, too; Regent's Flagship, Voyager and Enterprise D specify the number of die they roll, and are unaffected by the Q effect, although they do somewhat suffer from the agility loss.

Nope. http://www.wizkidseventsystem.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67...

Kind of odd rulings especially since Cloak is never considered agility (and is the reason why you lose it when out of cloak), and things like Flagship never buffed these ship abilities. But.. well, it's not the first time WORF had some weird rulings.

Still, secondary weapons and cloak are still decent in this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavLtBob wrote:

What an interesting build. Congrats on your success. Did you find the Rav was an attractive target? Seems like Q effect would make it a good target, but maybe once you get Madred off that isn't much of a concern?

The fighters drew a lot of fire, and I ran the Enterprise on the side of the moon the planet wasn't for great coverage from the 180 arc. I ran the Rav close to the fighters the first couple of turns and then started with wide sweeping maneuvers to get behind enemy ships without having to care about my own arc. Madred was clutch, he took the wind out of every players sails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone try an Aux attack strategy? Thinking putting an extra Aux (via Transwarp Signal, etc) on the Q ship would keep it limping for awhile....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back on my build and how the games went, a Positron beam would have been more useful than O'Brien. But, the Enterprise doesn't have a tech slot.

...and I completely forgot that Ahab Picard can add a tech slot. Derp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thinking of dumping the Fed captains in favor of Indy captains (Karr, Alpha Hirogen, Gorn Commander) to accomplish the quality that I'm getting with Boheeka and Breen Aide without spending additional points and eliminating vulnerability to disabling. Officer resource cards could help this too/instead, but then I lose OEP savings and have to come up with more points to pay for the officer cards. Any thoughts down that line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Q2 build I ran last night:

Deep Space 9(the torpedo one) 44
Fleet captain (independent dominion) 5
Spock 4
Cheat Death 0
Self Destruct Sequence (the borg one) 5
Systems Upgrade 1
Secondary Impulse Reactor 0
Quantum Torpedoes 6

Prototype 01
Gareb (Salatrel) 0
Core Overload 5
Cloaked Mines 2
Cloaked Mines 2
Cloaked Mines 2
Disruptor Beams 5

Romulan Science Vessel 12
Muon Feedback Wave 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Victor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
koku ryu wrote:
The Q2 build I ran last night:

Deep Space 9(the torpedo one) 44
Fleet captain (independent dominion) 5
Spock 4
Cheat Death 0
Self Destruct Sequence (the borg one) 5
Systems Upgrade 1
Secondary Impulse Reactor 0
Quantum Torpedoes 6

Prototype 01
Gareb (Salatrel) 0
Core Overload 5
Cloaked Mines 2
Cloaked Mines 2
Cloaked Mines 2
Disruptor Beams 5

Romulan Science Vessel 12
Muon Feedback Wave 3

How did you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CavLtBob wrote:
Thinking of dumping the Fed captains in favor of Indy captains (Karr, Alpha Hirogen, Gorn Commander) to accomplish the quality that I'm getting with Boheeka and Breen Aide without spending additional points and eliminating vulnerability to disabling. Officer resource cards could help this too/instead, but then I lose OEP savings and have to come up with more points to pay for the officer cards. Any thoughts down that line?

I'm a big fan of the Indy captains, when strapped for points. Like, 2 fighters and 3 Keldons with only 8 points to spare. The fed caps get you 2 actions with conversion, scan +BS with a blank conversion tears cloaked ships apart fairly quickly.
But, if you do decide to go with the Indy captains, what do you spend on the points you free up?
Also, don't forget Sesslak from the Gornarus, same points as Gorn commander but +1skill and similar conversion skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Shaharuddin
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have not tested the list but it is Mine proof and fairly Evasive.

Resource Fleet Officers

U.S.S Defiant 24
Gul Dukat 6
Sakonna 3
Systems Upgrade 2
Specialized Shields 4
Photonic Torpedos 0
Type 8 Phaser Array 0
AFT Phase Cannon 0
Total 39

U.S.S Excelsior 26
Maxwell Burke 1
Dmitri Valtane 3
Mr. Spock 5
Pavel Chekov (Remove Aux) 3
Disruptor Beams 6
First Officer 3
Science Officer 3
Total 50

I.S.S Defiant 24
Day Kannu 4
Quark 3
Enhanced Hull Plating 0
Total 31

Overall Total 120

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this mine proof?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Estabrook
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thinking that Indy captains mean I can take High Energy Sensor Sweep on the Koranak so I can have the benefits of Karr and still get a double action. Am I being too greedy, especially since Koranak only has 3 shield to start? Disabling one for that free scan... And HESS costs 6 points with the faction penalty... Maybe this isn't worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.