Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Dragonwood» Forums » Rules

Subject: Friendly Bunny? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you announce that you are using the item before or after rolling the dice? Is this true for any "use once" item?
Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You announce all enhancements being used before you roll.

The exception are the enhancement(s) which give you a reroll.

However, if you want to play a friendlier game with kids who get easily disappointed if they lose their bonus, you could play that you decide after.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
The exception are the enhancement(s) which give you a reroll.


There is only one enhancement with the ability to reroll -- the "Lucky Mushroom". There is no mention in the rules about this being an exception to the requirement of announcing enhancements you wish to use before you roll. Therefore, if you show/announce you are using the Lucky Mushroom, then you must, in fact, use it even if that means you will end up not defeating a creature that you initially did appear to defeat before applying the Lucky Mushroom's effect. 'Dem is the breaks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Kisgen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For the one-time use cards, you have to announce you are using them before you roll. So if you would have succeeded without the card, you still need to discard the card if you said you are using it. If you announced you are using it and you fail anyway, most people seem to prefer to play with the friendlier variant that you get to keep that card until you make a successful roll with it.

For the permanent enhancements, there is no need to announce. You just use it. As for the Lucky Mushroom, the re-roll is meant to be optional.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just back playing this game this week. My ruleset has a different tiebreaker from the one in the internet. Which one is more within the spirit of the game?

1- player with most creatures wins
2- player with the orange dragon wins

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Swanger
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kisgen wrote:


For the permanent enhancements, there is no need to announce. You just use it. As for the Lucky Mushroom, the re-roll is meant to be optional.



Ah, thanks for the clarification. My assertion above came not only from a literal interpretation of the rules, but also from here in the forums where you stated the value of the Lucky Mushroom as being "risky" (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598089/lucky-mushroom-ques...). If the use/value of this effect truly is optional, then there would be no risk. I.e., If you did not capture a creature on your first roll, then simply use the Lucky Mushroom to re-roll your lowest die, otherwise don't use it. There would only be a chance of you defeating a creature with it, never the other way around.

I would suggest with the next revision of the rules that the capture action include one word "Announce which Creature or Enhancement you are trying to capture and show the cards you are using (including any one-time Enhancements)".

Great game! My daughter and I have been enjoying it tremendously.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Kisgen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
qswanger wrote:
kisgen wrote:


For the permanent enhancements, there is no need to announce. You just use it. As for the Lucky Mushroom, the re-roll is meant to be optional.



Ah, thanks for the clarification. My assertion above came not only from a literal interpretation of the rules, but also from here in the forums where you stated the value of the Lucky Mushroom as being "risky" (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1598089/lucky-mushroom-ques...). If the use/value of this effect truly is optional, then there would be no risk. I.e., If you did not capture a creature on your first roll, then simply use the Lucky Mushroom to re-roll your lowest die, otherwise don't use it. There would only be a chance of you defeating a creature with it, never the other way around.

I would suggest with the next revision of the rules that the capture action include one word "Announce which Creature or Enhancement you are trying to capture and show the cards you are using (including any one-time Enhancements)".

Great game! My daughter and I have been enjoying it tremendously.


I meant "risky" as compared to say the Magical Unicorn, in the sense that the Magical Unicorn gives you a guaranteed benefit (+1) whereas you can re-roll using the Lucky Mushroom and still get no benefit (if you roll the same or lower). But I see how you interpreted my comments differently! And thanks for the suggestion on the rules. I am glad you and your daughter are enjoying the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Kisgen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Just back playing this game this week. My ruleset has a different tiebreaker from the one in the internet. Which one is more within the spirit of the game?

1- player with most creatures wins
2- player with the orange dragon wins

Thanks


Thanks for the heads up on this. I was not aware of this, but I got in touch with Gamewright, and indeed they changed the tie breaker rule (obviously without letting me know). Either way of course works. I liked the Orange Dragon as the tie breaker because it seemed a bit more thematic (if you defeated the toughest dragon, you deserve the win!), and the Orange Dragon is quite tough to defeat so this is equivalent to giving you 7.5 points for defeating it, which seems fair. But it does run into the issue that in some rare cases neither of the tied players will have the Orange Dragon (so I suggested in another post you just use the Blue Dragon in that case, and down the line if necessary). But using most creatures is a reasonable way to break a tie as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.