Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gaines Kergosien
United States
Franklin
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair is sending me to GenCon and, while I've attended DragonCon for many years, this will be my first GenCon.

It looks like there's so much to do at GenCon that I'm afraid I'll miss out. Are there any games in particular that I should do my best to play at GenCon? For instance, maybe it's a difficult game to learn the first time? Maybe the designer will be there playing with attendees?

General GenCon virgin suggestions are also welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
virgin suggestions:

normal con rules: shower 1x/day, sleep 5+ hrs, eat 2x/day. There are the occasional people you are surprised don't notice how they smell, but this isn't really a rule to try to change that, it's more a way to make sure you enjoy the con. Sleep and food (and lots of water) are essential, and it is incredibly easy to get absorbed in the con and just push other things aside.

-there is a ton of great food in indy. There is a ton of great food RIGHT outside the con. I would HIGHLY suggest that you never buy food at the con. There are a ton of food trucks that line up right outside that are awesome. Scotty's Brewhouse is an establishment you should make your way out to as well, they are super gamer friendly and have a huge, awesome patio.

-rio grande game room. find it. love it.

-Don't worry a ton about trying to demo a million games. This is kind of a personal thing, but really, trying to complete the mayfair ribbon set just so you can get half off another version of catan....not really worth the time imo. Especially because you are likely going to have to wait to get in a demo. If you don't already have any tickets, you can still get in some great events. The world championships for diamonds, one night ultimate werewolf, ascension, and more are going on. There is magic pretty much 24x7. The gen con library is solid. And you can meet a million other friendly gamers who are all going to be constantly playing games. If you want to play werewolf, there is a game happening always. ALWAYS. Coup? Same thing. 2R1B? Yup.

-DO talk to people. Talk to publishers. Talk to people manning booths. Talk to random people in line. You can make friends easily at this thing, you all have this one shared passion and it isn't hard to move forward from there.

-The gencon puzzle hunt run by mike selinker and lone shark games is always really interesting, and always pretty difficult. If you want to do well at it, get a group and start working on it day 1. It is found on placards set up throughout the con, as well as in the event book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaines Kergosien
United States
Franklin
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, Brad! Exactly the type of insight I'm looking for.

It might also be worth mentioning that I'm not flying in until Thursday afternoon, so activities that must be started early in the con would be difficult. There's a Catan Big Game on Friday night that I'm planning on attending...unless something else extremely compelling comes up. Also, my Sunday is already booked as I'm playing in the Catan National Championship then flying out that evening.

So not as much time to linger as most attendees, but I'm planning on making every moment count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.