Fury of Dracula (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: BGG Rank rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a game loved by many this game seems rather low on the bgg rank list at 250. Letters from Whitechapel is twice as high on the list and is also FFG. I'm thinking we should try and do something about this disparity to try and raise the profile of the game to help try and prod the reprint along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmb
Rank 250 out of nearly 800,000 80,000 games is [still] a pretty good position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Rank 250 out of nearly 800,000 80,000 games is a pretty good position.

Doesn't sound as good now, does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ch82 wrote:
For a game loved by many this game seems rather low on the bgg rank list at 250. Letters from Whitechapel is twice as high on the list and is also FFG. I'm thinking we should try and do something about this disparity to try and raise the profile of the game to help try and prod the reprint along.

Ratings are what they are. There's never anything you should do about them other than rate your own games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Pedrator wrote:
Rank 250 out of nearly 800,000 80,000 games is a pretty good position.

Doesn't sound as good now, does it?

Maybe not as good, but incredibly good nevertheless.

I mean it's great to see some people championing certain games. This would make even more sense to me if the game was in print (although even then...).

Also, whilst I understand how tempting it might be to compare to Whitechapel, why not call in on Scotland Yard (Mr. X) then?

They are two very different games that appeal to two quite different types of niches.

I think Fury of Dracula is a great game and in a good place. Also, until very recently it has been and incredibly busy forum on here which has seen many PBF games. That sounds quite healthy to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Objectively speaking the game has a few flaws out of the box. Play time can run long, combat is a little wacky and there are event cards that can cause huge swings.

It still has a lot going for it objectively, before I start talking about more subjective things like theme, art, nostalgia, and how it plays out in our group.

I guess my point is I see the lower ratings as completely fair, as much as I love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well what does everyone have the game rated at? If everyone could slightly bump up their rating of the game we might be able to have it climb a few spots. Next would be encouraging others to come on the site and rate highly (perhaps reddit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ch82 wrote:
Well what does everyone have the game rated at? If everyone could slightly bump up their rating of the game we might be able to have it climb a few spots. Next would be encouraging others to come on the site and rate highly (perhaps reddit)

For what purpose?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly many people, Dan King of the Dice Tower among them, vocally and clearly prefer Letters from Whitechapel to Fury of Dracula (usually citing that LFW involves more pure deduction, not weighed down by other mechanics that, to them, are "bolted on").

Ratings are, by their nature, fair (since they're voted on by the people and thus express how the people at large feel). Rigging the rankings can never serve the needs of the many, only the few.

The only time I ever saw ratings deliberately rigged was when there was a designer who passed away a little while ago. There was a campaign started by his friends to get everyone to rate his game a 10 to bump it up in the rankings in his honor. ... But even that was only for a little while, and the organizers were clear that after a short time everyone should redo their ratings to make them how they honestly rated his game, to maintain the integrity of the BGG ratings system. And that was for a dead guy! All the more so we wouldn't want to juke the BGG rankings for ... what was the reason again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwintner wrote:
the integrity of the BGG ratings system.

Huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
250 out of 80,000 still puts in the top 1% of all games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
chuckhazard wrote:
Objectively speaking the game has a few flaws out of the box. Play time can run long, combat is a little wacky and there are event cards that can cause huge swings.

Objective means something different between me and you obviously.

Anyway fuck the ratings, the ratings on BGG in general are crap.
Letters to Whitechapple is mediocre and needs the help in sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ch82 wrote:

Wouldn't doing something to deliberately inflate (or deflate) a game's rating defeat the whole purpose of rating games in the first place?

I second Brian's question, why??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rianane wrote:
I second Brian's question, why??

Why? To artificially inflate the arbitrary rating of an out-of-print product on a niche website, of course.

It's like wanting to rig the election for city dogcatcher. Who gives a shit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ch82 wrote:
Well what does everyone have the game rated at? If everyone could slightly bump up their rating of the game we might be able to have it climb a few spots.

And if everybody bumped it down, it might go down a little. Is the idea that we should all band together to raise the rating for your pet game, or should we stick with the honest ratings we've already given?

I give a very high rating to The Fury of Dracula (the GW original), which I think is far superior to the FFG remake, but I can't imagine starting a thread to beg people to rate it higher. The game doesn't care where it's rated, and it won't be any more fun to play if it changes positions in the ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
The game doesn't care where it's rated...

Couldn't agree more with this.

Rate your games honestly and stop caring about the ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess that means that the title will continue to rot without a reprint. It will continue to slide under the weight of new games with higher profile. Even now it has moved to 251.

I think the why reason is clear. I really like this game and I want to see it played by more people and for that we'd need a reprint or new edition. FFG hasn't done anything with the license for a long time so I want try to help motivate them. There are too few for a meaningful petition but if the game could crack the top 100 then it might get more attention. So that is the why but based on the feedback in this thread so far it's a lost cause.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt that a development coordinator at FFG has sent a corporate email stating that if the BGG rating of Fury of Dracula goes up a certain amount then a reprint is a go.

A more likely scenario would be an eventual retheme with one of their more mainstream (and lucrative) licenses.

Fury of Cthulhu?
Fury of Darth Vader?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ch82 wrote:
I guess that means that the title will continue to rot without a reprint.

Only reprints on shelves rot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Sphere wrote:
The game doesn't care where it's rated...

Couldn't agree more with this.

Rate your games honestly and stop caring about the ranking.

More importantly, FFG doesn't care. If they are even the ones still retaining the license at this point. They have let several games lapse into OOP-land. Some all of a sudden get a reprint, others don't.

All they are going to care about is the bottom line. If they think there are enough sales out there, they could reprint it. But whether it is ranked on BGG at 25, 250, or 25,000 will have zero bearing on it.

If I adjusted my ranking up, it would be relative and all titles above it would have to be re-ranked. Calling for votes outside of BGG might bump the rating slightly, but the algorithm for calculating ratings is supposed to minimize outlier votes. So all of this would be a monumental task for very little gain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me exile you.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

More importantly, FFG doesn't care. If they are even the ones still retaining the license at this point. They have let several games lapse into OOP-land. Some all of a sudden get a reprint, others don't.

All they are going to care about is the bottom line. If they think there are enough sales out there, they could reprint it.

FFG is also part of Asmodee now. It's definitely always about $$, but even more so now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
chuckhazard wrote:

Objective means something different between me and you obviously.

Anyway fuck the ratings, the ratings on BGG in general are crap.
Letters to Whitechapple is mediocre and needs the help in sales.

Your definition is probably upside-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
ch82 wrote:

Keep in mind that the people who frequent board game geek are mostly people who enjoy euro games. A lot of Fantasy Fight fans and heavy American-style gamers are not even members of board game geek and if they are, they don't all rate their games. Think about it: The gaming community is larger than board game geek and much larger than those on this site that actually rate their games. So, while the top 10 on this site seems sacred, some of those games might not even register on a top 100 if you surveyed every person who plays hobby board games.

Just some perspective. All this to say Fury of Dracula fucking rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.