Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Switzer
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my my buddy from high school is getting married next month and for his bachelor party he wants to do a gaming marathon. However, there is a slight issue which is that in high school we played the base version of Risk until the copy wore out because we didn't know any better games existed. Fast forward a few years, I have gotten heavily into board gaming the last two years and the thought of playing Risk is really boring to me but the other guys still have really only been exposed to Risk and Heroscape.

My first thought was Risk Legacy but my understanding of it is that it would take more than a 12 hour session to finish and this group rarely gets together.

So what I'm looking for are suggestions for a group of 5 guys(maybe 6) most of whom don't have a lot of experience with board gaming but LOVE strategy, stabbing each other in the back (in the proverbial, friendly sense), trash talk, and proving who's the best.

I'm planning on bringing Dead of Winter which I think will go over well but I wanted to have a few options for the guys.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you all enjoy Game of Thrones, then try A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)...definitely can be a lot of negotiation/backstabbing and trash talking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World
This was introduced to my group of nearly exactly the same as you decried and it was a huge hit.....you have this, what do you not like about it or why do you not think that it would be a winner?

my other suggestions that should work:
Revolution! - the only bluffing game I really enjoy, you all get delt your "money" and you secretly bid on what you want and reveal and see who gets what.
Smash Up - a different type of strategy used for this one but my friends who like risk and small world (my high conflict group) likes this too
how do you feel about the other risks:
Risk 2210 A.D. - I recently got it and think its worth your time checking out
Risk: Godstorm - about to buy it and looks just as good
...and then there is Diplomacy, try at your own risk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is EXACTLY what you need. An awesome negotiation game that's not too complex if you stick to green powers (although it's still just as fun!). Also, Nexus Ops is commonly known as "better Risk", and it certainly deserves the title, so it may be a good one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nikolaus
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a board game and its nothing like risk but, I would say try out The Red Dragon Inn or any of it's expansions. Lots of player interaction, backstabbing and room for trash talking. Although for 5 people you would need at least two games or one game with some character add-ons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have six, you should pick up Struggle of Empires. It's amazing with 5, 6, or 7 players. The alliance mechanic would be perfect for your group.

For a maximum 5 players, check out Kemet. Its mechanisms are purely Euro, but the game is all about the attack. You absolutely can't sit back and watch others battle here. The VPs you get from winning attacks are too critical for a win. Fantastic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James E
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the Cosmic Encounter recommendation (although get one of the expansions that brings it up to 6 players if you think you might need it) but I'd also like to suggest Keyflower (plays 6) for it's amazing mash up of mechanics that you can really stick it to your opponents and Chinatown (plays 5 but could play 6 with a variant) for its simple but engrossing negotiations that can be very cutthroat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some lighter fare, maybe check out Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with the expansion. Or wait for Survive: Space Attack! + expansion.

Another one that might work but it much longer and heavier is Dominant Species.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some light games:

Condottiere

Saboteur

BANG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Focusing on the thread keywords:
+1 for A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
+1 for Diplomacy (but you need A LOT of time)
some doubts about Dead of Winter: brilliant game and may involve betrayal, but it's mainly a cooperative game.
-1 for Kemet and Dominant Species. Can't get the backstabbing/betrayal part.

Consider Fief: France 1429 as a viable (and much shorter) substitute for Diplomacy. Sooner or later, you definitely WILL betray someone if you play "seriusly". And blood will spill cool I don't know any other game allowing a full backstab to an ally in the middle of a battle. Despicable. Fun cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing Personal plays to five and actively encourages deal making/breaking.

Trash talking and lying (and a break from the longer stuff) can be serviced by The Resistance/Avalon or, for even quicker fixes, One Night Ultimate Werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
1) +1 Game of Thrones
2) +1 Small World (easier teach to new players than GoT)
3)Resistance (purely social deduction and arguing but definitely involves betrayal and back stabbing).
4) Spyfall (same reason as Resistance)
5) Battlestar Galactica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune.

Playing it this thursday for the first time since college, and looking forward to all kinds of underhanded activities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about something like One Night Ultimate Werewolf and The Resistance: Avalon to add in to the mix during your marathon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition,

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/91267/fun-game-backstabbing....

You need a thick skin to play this, enough said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Switzer
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World and Cosmic are already in the bag, just forgot to mention them Also, as I'm addicted to the hobby, any chance to buy something new is welcomed! And the only reason I'm leaving off AGOTtBG is because I somehow lost two Lannister raid tokens and I'm still waiting on them to come in from FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem with the Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem – Calaveras Club Expansion expansion. Plenty of trash talk, negotiation, stabbing and cheap online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery + Spartacus: The Serpents and the Wolf Expansion Set (needed for 5-6 players)

Lots of negotiation, bribery, and backstabbing in this game. And when it comes to trash talk and proving who's best, how better than gladiatorial combat? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootleggers
City of Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter what you go for...

Make sure you know the rules inside out. Lots of pressure on you.

Good luck! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Diplomacy is probably the obvious option. That whole game is centered around making alliances and knowing when to break them. It does take some time, though, and the combat system isn't exactly intuitive.

I have yet to play this game, but it sounds like Cosmic Encounter might be exactly what you're looking for.

And you could always just take Risk a step up and play a more complicated version. Risk 2210 A.D. is my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.