Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that few wargames I'm familiar with make the most out of something as vital as logistics and supply. Maybe it’s a dry subject, but I’d like to give it a go if there are some games giving a realistic interpretation.
Anybody being able to mention a few games like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
UCP Boardgamer wrote:
I find that few wargames I'm familiar with make the most out of something as vital as logistics and supply. Maybe it’s a dry subject, but I’d like to give it a go if there are some games giving a realistic interpretation.
Anybody being able to mention a few games like that?

1944: Race to the Rhine is the obvious "normal" suggestion, may be woefully far off what you want though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Case Blue and the OCS series of games has medium depth logistics. I wouldn't want to go into more detail. Other people will certainly propose more logistically oriented wargames.

I remember that the old Imperium Romanum II focused a lot on the logistics of the Roman era.

Personally I don't find logistics a whole lot of fun. It slows down the game. So ideally I would look for a lot of logistics in a game only if there were not too many units and the rulebook was not too thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign for North Africa is all about logistics. It's a huge game, though.

Many games include rules for supply, which usually require tracing lines of supply outside the influence of enemy units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
kentreuber wrote:

Many games include rules for supply, which usually require tracing lines of supply outside the influence of enemy units.

I have a friend who has this game. We once set it up, looked at it, then put it away. No one in their right mind plays this game. It probably plays slower than the real campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I believe Quartermaster General focuses on logistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I haven't played it, but I believe Quartermaster General focuses on logistics.

No it really doesnt . It has supply rules no more complicated than a unit must be connected to a unit in supply in a chain leading back to a supply point. Its just that it has supply rules unlike say Risk or Axis and Allies.

That said its a fantastic game.

I would also recommend 1944: Race to the Rhine as its all about the logistics. To the point were the fighting is almost secondary. That said again it also is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

I have a friend who has this game. We once set it up, looked at it, then put it away. No one in their right mind plays this game. It probably plays slower than the real campaign.

Haha, maybe I should give it a go - just to make me realise I should go back to the other wargames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for all the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:

yea this is the one you want. it is... whoa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
WINTER STORM designed by john Schettler by Vanguard games is very supply oriented with a valiant attempt at realism. it's an operation game about the battles around Stalingrad in WWII. there were also some follow up games I think that used a similar system by the same designer but i don't know what publisher took them up or maybe the same publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The campaign commander series has a brutal supply system. If you don't plan correctly your logistics its catastrophic.

I own Coral Sea: Campaign Commander Volume II and we had to restart a game once because despite my warnings the entire Japanese navy ran out of supplies far from home and was stranded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluekingzog wrote:
The campaign commander series has a brutal supply system. If you don't plan correctly your logistics its catastrophic.

I own Coral Sea: Campaign Commander Volume II and we had to restart a game once because despite my warnings the entire Japanese navy ran out of supplies far from home and was stranded

I hope for their sake that at least they were stranded somewhere like Tahiti and not the Aleutians...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard that The Korean War has a great supply system but I haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look at one of the EastFront Series of games from GMT. Designer Vance von Borries. Uses actual counters to move supply.

The old SPI War in the Pacific Was all about logistics in that campaign.

Sometimes more simple games on limited subjects might help like the old Desert Fox, or the more recent L2 version of Rommel's War.

Finally I recommend Advanced European Theater of Operations and/or its Pacific version. They also require the player to actually move supply around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:
You might look at one of the EastFront Series of games from GMT. Designer Vance von Borries. Uses actual counters to move supply.

The old SPI War in the Pacific Was all about logistics in that campaign.

Sometimes more simple games on limited subjects might help like the old Desert Fox, or the more recent L2 version of Rommel's War.

Finally I recommend Advanced European Theater of Operations and/or its Pacific version. They also require the player to actually move supply around.

The physical movement of supply counters sounds interesting. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulf:

If you find Advanced European Theater of Operations too long and complex to examine, try the older TSR version; European Theater of Operations and its Pacific version. Same basic supply counter system but shorter rules.

The AETO and APTO games were redos of the TSR versions with added complexity. They are my favorite games of all, in 40 years of gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:
Ulf:

If you find Advanced European Theater of Operations too long and complex to examine, try the older TSR version; European Theater of Operations and its Pacific version. Same basic supply counter system but shorter rules.

The AETO and APTO games were redos of the TSR versions with added complexity. They are my favorite games of all, in 40 years of gaming.

Sounds like a good plan. I suppose if I get hooked on one of those I could consider taking the step over to the complex version of AETO. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ulf:

Are you finding what you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:
Ulf:

Are you finding what you need?

I am indeed. I'm checking out and reading up on suggestions, and next step will be to decide on which to buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know what you decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.