Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'Golonac! So awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Messer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The addition of the deflated head is certainly an interesting take on Y'Golonac. No complaints here though, this looks sick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a substantially different looking Y'Golonac than I'm accustomed to, but pretty cool nonetheless. Keep 'em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I was expecting something like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That must mean they have gotten permission to use Ramsey Campbell's GOOs. YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the deflated head, but a bit disappointed by the look of the hands. Also, it is less "sexualized" than I would have loved to see, but then, I see the reason for that...

Ah well, won't be my favourite design, but it is still quite cewl! And much more than seeing the figurine I will look forward to playing with it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Messer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Love the deflated head, but a bit disappointed by the look of the hands. Also, it is less "sexualized" than I would have loved to see, but then, I see the reason for that...

Ah well, won't be my favourite design, but it is still quite cewl! And much more than seeing the figurine I will look forward to playing with it...

I think all of the sexualization went to Asenath Waite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I imagined a different kind of sexualization. But that would have meant depicting genitalia, or somesuch - something which was (as it usually is) artfully covered with Asenath Waite, already...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer the artwork from the first ks. But I'm delighted with the content hints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Freitas
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cw67q wrote:
I much prefer the artwork from the first ks.

Me too. Somehow I was used to seeing the sketches from the KS and it was set as a standard for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Grimlan
msg tools
Yeah I am not really fond of this design either if it is supposed to be Y'golonac. It actually makes me think more of the Chosen of Hastur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The head looks a bit funny, but that could be helped with an appropriate paint job. However, the hands look more like two eyeless dragons than hands. And that is what I don't really like...

...even if it then "reverts" back to the classical style, I really hope they redesign the hands, to make them look more like, well, hands with mouths...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ythian art was a hit with me, this y'golonac, not much.

Someone help me with this, doesn't y'golonac effectively possess a human and materialize out of them. If so the deflated head makes sense. Otherwise, I don't get it. Also said deflated head could look much more creepy than it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding Y'Golonac has a true form, but it's sealed away, so he typically takes possession of someone's form (presumably gaining weight, losing the head, and growing mouths in the hands).

I like the overall shape, but agree that the hands don't look enough like hands, to the point where I initially didn't recognize that it was supposed to be Y'Golonac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
From my understanding Y'Golonac has a true form, but it's sealed away, so he typically takes possession of someone's form (presumably gaining weight, losing the head, and growing mouths in the hands).

I like the overall shape, but agree that the hands don't look enough like hands, to the point where I initially didn't recognize that it was supposed to be Y'Golonac.

Agreed, and the head looks like a comic head rather than a real one that has been force atrophied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I clicked it, expecting to go to a BGG image page and went to a hosting site with heavily animated Flash ads, etc. Might want upload images like this directly to BGG instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
I clicked it, expecting to go to a BGG image page and went to a hosting site with heavily animated Flash ads, etc. Might want upload images like this directly to BGG instead.

Will do next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:

I can agree with that. If nobody told me this was supposed to be Y'Golonac I would not have recognized him either. The "hands" truly do not look like hands. They can only be seen as hands once you decide that the overall shape is a human one and go from there to "Oh! Those tendrils are supposed to be arms and that means that the things on the ends of them are supposed to be hands!" Certainly if you were shown a picture of a "hand" alone nobody would presume it to be one as it lacks fingers and does not conform to a normal hand shape.

While I'm used to seeing Y'Golonac with no head at all, I can accept the shriveled deflated head as an alternate take, but this particular version of it does look a little cartoony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
His "hands" are simply more progressed into what his true form might be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Naaa.
It is the "body horror" that makes Y'Golonac terrifying.

This way, he resembles more a hybrid between a grossly obese humanoid and a twoheaded dragon or flesh-eating plant.

Please, if at all possible, please rethink at least the design of his hands. All of the GOOs and many monsters of CW part 1 were absolutely terrifying (and terrific) in design. This one has a more fantasticky vibe, and looks more silly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
His "hands" are simply more progressed into what his true form might be.

I don't envy you guys on this one. To the extent that you are invested in this imagery, it's gotta be tough to hear all this critical feedback. But to the extent that there is room for changes, what the consensus seems to be in this thread is:

1. the hands should look more like hands - but it might be as simple as having only five digits instead of six. That might give a greater impression of something humanoid having been warped and desecrated.

2. the deflated head should be somehow be depicted in a more horrific way.

Personally, I love the concept as presented, but I feel like it is missing some of the potential horror of such an image as currently depicted. In the right hands (ha ha!) the image of someone's head deforming and rotting on top of such a monstrous body could give true nightmares. Just my own two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just interpreting that picture was of his true form. Since he is not in a host body he may look a lot less human. If he is going to go toe to toe with Cthulhu and the rest, a more "monsterous" form may be more appropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Grimlan
msg tools
Yeah I have loved every design I have seen for Cthulhu Wars (with the exception of the High Priest)but I don't really care for this one. Derk Venneman's interpretation for FFG is more in line with how I imagine this Great Old One. Obviously different artists will have their own take on things but this one was just too much of a departure for my taste. I think the saginess of the skin may be what I don't like, it looks more piteous than horrifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone else think of this guy, from Willow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.