Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

No Retreat 3» Forums » Rules

Subject: Liege city defense shift on turn 1? Use of reserves. Infiltration comments. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortresses that contain cities function as fortresses for movement and combat.

If Liege on turn 1 doesn't receive the defense shifts for Fortress hexside and Fortress hex, will it reacquire its city defense shift?

Say I'm attacking Liege on turn one. I get an ex result. I cannot advance after combat, but can I just drop reserves into Liege (or further) in the Release Reserve phase later in the turn? In other words, is it the design intent to allow Reserve Release (strategic movement) forward of the front excepting an EZOC?

EDIT: I just realized, the French player can replace the Liege Fortress unit with a cadre, right? There's no particular restriction on placing Cadre's except that it must be off a DD or EX.
EDIT: Except when it's not French or British. Doh.

EDIT: Wait a second. Turn 1, Liege is occupied. Can't the Germans just reserve move to the other side of Liege? Germans control Aachen. Release reserve says 3 (2 intervening) hexes away. If there was a row of enemy units in front of you with no gaps...somehow you could release reserves on the other side of that front? What? I think 9.2.3 needs a Supplied contingency. EDIT: found another thread where Carl clarified that Reserve release must be in Regular supply. I still find it strange that on turn 1 if Germany invades Belgium (thus removing their Neutral status and making hexes in Belgium eligible to use to trace supply), they can Release reserves into the area west of Liege. That just feels wrong.

I've never played a wargame with No Infiltration before and am surprised in play how restrictive it becomes. France's seemingly weak position NW of the Ardennes defended by 9th army at game start can only be attacked from one hex! Is that right?

It reminds me of the ZOC bond mechanism in Simonitch's games, where a strong front only has to occupy every other hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it gets the City Bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
I still find it strange that on turn 1 if Germany invades Belgium (thus removing their Neutral status and making hexes in Belgium eligible to use to trace supply), they can Release reserves into the area west of Liege. That just feels wrong.

you cannot place it an an EZOC and you cannot use for Reserve release a city that was just captured the same turn (last section on page 5, rule 9.2), so you will not get very far. But I'll look into it for the new game edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
Yes it gets the City Bonus.

I know you're reworking this for the Deluxe edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
aram12 wrote:
I still find it strange that on turn 1 if Germany invades Belgium (thus removing their Neutral status and making hexes in Belgium eligible to use to trace supply), they can Release reserves into the area west of Liege. That just feels wrong.

you cannot place it an an EZOC and you cannot use for Reserve release a city that was just captured the same turn (last section on page 5, rule 9.2), so you will not get very far. But I'll look into it for the new game edition.

Using Aachen, you'll see that you can have German units North of the Meuse right in the hex where the majority of the word Belgium is printed. That seems far. And even stranger if you had "No Ardennes Surprise".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.