Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than through obstructed terrain, is there any occasion that cavalry can't voluntarily withdraw either mounted or unmounted?

The reason I ask is the sentence in para 18 "Under Withdrawal general orders, cavalry withdrawals can be mounted or unmounted".

That sentence implies that there is a General Order/situation where cavalry does not have the option to use mounted or unmounted (e.g., under Hold General Orders cavalry can only withdraw mounted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, re unmounted.

As it says in the previous sentence, "Even if not under Withdrawal general orders, cavalry blocks can make mounted voluntary withdrawal moves." Must be mounted, so look out for obstructed terrain.

If you are under Withdrawal general orders, cavalry may withdraw unmounted, per the sentence you quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may help to rephrase the conditions.

1) Cavalry may move mounted or unmounted (normal). See the rules for the particulars of mounted movement. Subject to those restrictions on mounted movement, cavalry may freely choose whether to move mounted or unmounted for all movement types (only relevant for March or Withdrawal).

2) Withdrawal general orders present no unique conditions for cavalry. Like all blocks, they may make voluntary withdrawals (edited to clarify: while under Withdrawal general orders). Per their cavalry type, they have the option of mounted or unmounted movement.

3) Hold/Attack general orders permit the special case of cavalry (only) making voluntary withdrawals via mounted movement (only).

Phrased this way, point 3 is the only outlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for my feeble brain;

Hold General Orders:
March moves - mounted or unmounted OK
Voluntary Withdrawal moves - mounted or unmounted OK

Attack General Orders:

Withdrawal General Orders:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Fisher's back!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. No unit may make an unmounted voluntary withdrawal except under Withdrawal general orders. Infantry or cavalry, doesn't matter.

Though like I said, the concept is better expressed as "Blocks may make a voluntary withdrawal only under Withdrawal general orders. EXCEPTION: Cavalry may make a mounted (only) voluntary withdrawal under any general orders." Keep the exception / special condition as narrow as possible The bit you originally quoted, "mounted or unmounted", is just clarification. It is not a new rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kåre Dyvik
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. This has escaped me. Don't know if it has ever been an issue in my games, but I'll be aware of it hereafter.
One "frequently missed rule", I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
No. No unit may make an unmounted voluntary withdrawal except under Withdrawal general orders. Infantry or cavalry, doesn't matter.

This doesn't seem right. Para 18 says "Cavalry making march or withdrawal moves can move either unmounted or mounted".

There is no qualifier to that statement [ie., it doesn't limit unmounted moves to a) only Withdrawal General Orders or b) voluntary].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Brother" Eicher
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct. When cavalry withdraw, they may choose how they want to move, mounted or dismounted.

It's just that they aren't allowed to withdraw unmounted at all, unless it's Withdrawal General Orders.

In other words, the rule you quoted is the general rule: Cavalry have a choice when they withdraw, mounted or dismounted.

Other rules then conditionally restrict the options: If the army is not under Withdrawal General Orders, the cavalry may not withdraw unless they do it mounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brothereicher wrote:
That's correct. When cavalry withdraw, they may choose how they want to move, mounted or dismounted.

It's just that they aren't allowed to withdraw unmounted at all, unless it's Withdrawal General Orders.

In other words, the rule you quoted is the general rule: Cavalry have a choice when they withdraw, mounted or dismounted.

Other rules then conditionally restrict the options: If the army is not under Withdrawal General Orders, the cavalry may not withdraw unless they do it mounted.

OK, so using my feeble brain visual chart and the explanations above;

Hold General Orders:
Voluntary Withdrawal moves - mounted OK
Voluntary Withdrawal moves - unmounted NO

Attack General Orders:
Voluntary Withdrawal moves - unmounted NO

Withdrawal General Orders:
Voluntary Withdrawal moves - unmounted OK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.