Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EduArdo Murruy
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi guys, just a quick question: since I live in Brazil, I don't have easy access to most boardgames, and I have a friend coming from the US next month that agreed to bring a box or two for me.

I'm thinking on buying this game, and maybe the expansion, but since I have several expansions from other games unplayed (descent, I'm looking at you), maybe it's a better idea to request another boardgame (like flick em up, spyfall, so on...)

But some games are really better with expansions, giving more options for the players and making the game more replayable, and this seems to be the case here. Any sugestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Scheuber
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the base game comes a ton of stuff. Nearly all the different mechanics are introduced in the base set and the expansion is mostly more of the same. Still, I would highly recommend the expansion, but you have literally tons of possible combination in the base set and don't have to worry about replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the expansion, it's awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original version, my group played the base game obsessively. You will get much mileage out of the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(Caveat: I haven't played the remake yet - only the older version.)

The expansion is nice, but not necessary for Catacombs. You can play and enjoy the base game for a long time without needing any extra pieces.

I think Catacombs is awesome, and if you buy the expansion you won't regret it... but if it were my decision, I would get two games instead of one game+expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is fantastic.

The expansions just add more challenging stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EduArdo Murruy
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I think I'll order the base game and, not without regrets, leave the expansion for another occasion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murruy wrote:
Thanks guys. I think I'll order the base game and, not without regrets, leave the expansion for another occasion

Honestly though, it's awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WrenHong wrote:
murruy wrote:

Honestly though, it's awesome!

Although I said above "buy two games", I agree with this and think that buying the expansion later is a fantastic idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
The base game is fantastic.

The expansions just add more challenging stuff.

I've seen this sentiment from players of the older versions a few times recently. I hate to burst your bubble but the new version of the base game includes new monsters that may surprise you.

For example...
The Gelatinous Cube that can corrode items and Devour! hapless heroes.
Roal, who introduces a new dexterity element and is capable of performing 3 damage in one hit.
Fenris, who can bite, stunning and damaging simultaneously.

The above are all Level 4 monsters and such have a whopping 4 hit points each too. There are a few other new level 4's also, but those are an example.

Additionally the base game now includes 5 types of the vermin class monster originally included in the Horde Of Vermin expansion. (The other 2 are included in the new Cavern of Soloth expansion). They of course bring with them their associated Poison mechanism, which can be really nasty.

Yes, the heroes have been buffed a little but the new Catacombs base game is no pushover.

All that to say... you might as well get the expansion.
It's awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.