Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game yet, but I read the rules on the FFG website and am pretty impressed overall. A couple of questions came to me:

1. Theoden. Is there any reason to ever choose him over Gimli in a draft game? It seems like he's just in there to give the Light side a weaker character in the variant version. But even then, he can be strength 5 with variant Gandalf nearby.

2. The rules say once the Watcher is revealed, it stays revealed and can't move forward anymore, but that it can be recalled to Mordor. Is there any reason why that would ever seem like a good idea? Why would you want him in Mordor?

3. How involved was Knizia in the design/testing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Quote:
Theoden. Is there any reason to ever choose him over Gimli in a draft game?

1. More than a choice betweeen the two sides of a character seems quite obvious... how sad!

Quote:
Why would you want him in Mordor?

2. To waste a turn (in a game where timing is crucial, maybe it can be useful at times. Rarely, I'd say, but still possible.)

Quote:
How involved was Knizia in the design/testing?

3. He hasn't designed the pieces, but playtested them (according to what you can read on the Internet, at least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Neithan wrote:
2. The rules say once the Watcher is revealed, it stays revealed and can't move forward anymore, but that it can be recalled to Mordor. Is there any reason why that would ever seem like a good idea? Why would you want him in Mordor?

To help kill Frodo. Having a character that can move backwards is valuable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mooninite wrote:
Neithan wrote:

To help kill Frodo. Having a character that can move backwards is valuable.

But having him in Mordor is useless. He can't move forward and Frodo doesn't have to face him if he steps in.

The only use I can think of for using Recall on the Watcher is if Frodo has already passed him and you need a stall move. It would require a pretty rare set of circumstances though.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I knew I shouldn't have said anything until I looked at it. You're right, I don't think you'd ever want to do it. They probably did it just to be consistent, since you can use the retreat card. It would have sounded weird to say "you would never want to do this, so you can't."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.