Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: The deserter action.

One removes a knight from an opposing domaine and then adds one of his own knights to a domaine that adjoines that one.

What happens if the adjoining domaine has no spaces where a knight can legally be played?

Does this mean that the deserter card cannot be played and thus the opponent's knight cannot be removed? Or can you play the card and remove the opponent's knight and then just omit the placing a knight of your own in your own domaine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Another Rules Question
dkeisen (#18165),
I missed the adjoin rule and I am pretty sure it wasn't mentioned in our demo at the Mayfair booth at Gencon.

If it's there, then my opinion would be that you could still remove the knight, but that's only my take. :-)

Happy Gaming,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen (#18165),

I have played that youcan't play the card in that situation. It means if you can reduce an enemies Domaine to where he can't place a knight, then he can't play the deserter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
m k
United States
flag msg tools
dkeisen (#18165),

I am positive that you can't play a deserter like this. I must've seen it on Prof. Easy's online tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen (#18165), it's only an opinion, but I would think you could still play the card and remove the knight, but would miss out on adding your own knight. Something you might want to think about before you play that card! Careful planning, placement, and expansion in preceding turns will help you avoid such situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
repguy28@aol.com (#18244),

The tutorial does mention that if the only spaces you can place a knight are forests, and you don't have any money left to place your knight, you can't play the deserter card. By logical extention of this rule, if there is no space at all where you can place your knight, then you definitely can't play the deserter card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanne Tosterud
Norway
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen (#18165),

Note that, the player who plays the Deserter card does not choose which knight is removed from the victim domaine. The victim chooses which of his own knights is to be removed.

I'd bet that many players are playing this wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
dkeisen (#18165),

Note that, the player who plays the Deserter card does not choose which knight is removed from the victim domaine. The victim chooses which of his own knights is to be removed.

I'd bet that many players are playing this wrong.

Is this another misinterpretation in the english rules, then? Both the rules and the example given state that the player of the card chooses.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Is this another misinterpretation in the english rules, then? Both the rules and the example given state that the player of the card chooses.

Agreed. How do we know that the tutorial is a definitive source of rules interpretation?

Also, what about the situation where you want to play a deserter card and have no more knights in your supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.