Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo It will be redundant for many of you, but for those of us who are computer phobic or just getting around to scan the large library of M44 fan made scenarios, I urge you to join me in discovering the treasures over there at www.daysofwonder.com, if you haven't already. I was reawakened to these possibilities by reading the M44 Tactics and Strategy Guide (see my review) which mentioned many scenarios from the M44 community there. One of the more intriguing mentions was a scenario from China, the major WWII theater (China-Burma-India or CBI) that is most missing from the officially published scenarios.

Owning all of M44 that has come out so far, and having played everything and recently downloaded the few scenarios from the Files here, I moved over, and figured out how to navigate on that other site. I was especially looking for Pacific scenarios, since those were what I found here, my father served in the Pacific, and I've just spent a week playing the few I got on this site (see the recent thread Playing the Angaur Campaign).

BTW, here's how to navigate the site to find fan made "unofficial" (but still often excellent) scenarios:

Games
Memoir 44
Military Archives
Scenarios From The Front
Filter as necessary by theater (Pacific)
Search
Make sure to first bring up "Print View" and print from there!

I figured that it would be more manageable to scan through the smaller number from the Pacific which would be there, since I've just spent a week playing PTO battles, and listing the official ones to date for myself (the last official update was in the Air Pack, and good luck finding that anyhow). Well, "small" must be only relative. In fact I found there are currently 59 pages of Pacific scenarios there--even though a few are in different languages (mostly French and Spanish). That's almost 150 scenarios!

Then I started printing out 48 which I thought were most representative of areas not covered at all officially, and my own personal favorites on these "unusual" topics. What did I find?

Khalkin Gol, Russians attacking Japanese in 1939 Manchuria
Overlord/Breakthrough Operation Olympic
Overlord/Breakthrough Tarawa
Russians attacking the Japanese on the disputed Sakhalin Island
(How often do you get to conduct an amphibious operation with the Soviets?)
Russia attacking Manchuria in 1945 (Karmically things end as they begin!)
And most of all--China (I've just selected 38 of them,ignoring a few duplicates and etc. including these Manchurian ones Ni hao!)

So if you're just getting into M44, check it out. Many of the older hands here have told me to go over to that site, but I never quite got how to do it, or had a decent printer before, etc. I hope there are still a few lost souls like myself out there who will find this post and be encouraged.

(Edit) I've now posted a list of those 38 M44 China scenarios in Chronological Order, as I did for the BattleCry 150 scenarios on wwwccbatthecry150.com. They'll soon be in the Files section.

See also my thread "Chinese Command Rules are In Effect" for one scenario designers rules for such.

As for the other, fan run sites, I've found many things there as well. Right now, the entire C&C Napoleonic Expansion #5 Leadership is at ccnapoleonics.net for all to enjoy, as we wait for its release next month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Scenarios From the Front" come with a double-edge sword, because just as there are fairly good scenarios there are also pretty poor ones too. IMO, the scenario ratings are not helpful. However, most of the time you can usually spot the ones to avoid, or the ones that you might possibly try. I've also come across instances where after filtering you still get fictional vs. historic choices, or French language when you filtered for English. I don't think the site is monitored that often, but it's not too bad a place to look for that particular battle. Myself, I find that over the years that there are presently so many "Official" scenarios to pick from that I tend to now gravitate toward them (whereas years ago I spent a lot of time on this site).

Interesting to me that it took so long for someone to post in detail the DoW "Military Archives" (although it's been mentioned before in general terms). This is good information for those who might still be unaware of the hundreds of choices available for this fine boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Featherstonhaugh
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very useful reference. Thanks for pointing it out.
The battle statistics are a real bonus to find out which are the most balanced scenarios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reese Henderson
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Another way to enjoy these scenarios is to download them to your I-pad. No need to print the scenario that way and you can download dozens of them without all the paper clutter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.