Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Capozzi
United States
Andover
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
“Here’s to long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer — and another one!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start by saying I'm no Civil War buff. I have only done a slight bit of reading in an attempt to understand some of the strategies that were employed at Gettysburg. So I really would appreciate if someone with more expertise could help me on this.

I have a question about the July 2 reinforcements. Longstreet enters with Hood and McLaws in hex 1101 (Chambersburg Pike). Wouldn't it be more historically accurate to have him enter at hex 1219 (Emmitsburg Road)? I know that things didn't go according to Lee's original plans that day, and that Longstreet was delayed by a countermarch. But shouldn't he still be attacking south of Gettysburg and fighting Sickles near Devil's Den, the Peach Orchard, and eventually Little Round Top?

I have been going through as many narratives on July 2 1863 as I can, but can see no justification for the entrance in the northwest. Am I way off on my history here?

Any thoughts?

Has anyone ever played bringing Longstreet in at 1219?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without going back to look it up, my understanding lines up with yours on this. I'll be curious to hear what the others have to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiki does an excellent job on this question. Map provide is very solid. I think I have to agree with the correct starting hex for Longstreet as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Gettysburg,_Second_D...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
Longstreet's forces arrived at Gettysburg along the Chambersburg Pike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.