Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Chalmers
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When placing an Agent after an Alien has seized him, are you guys placing them in a spot that most benefits the Agents in recovering them with an Agent that can Seize them back?

I always struggle with this game, it does not have strict rules for where the Aliens should move - you can place Aliens in a spot that benefits the Agents and still not break any movement rules for the Aliens, or you could place them in a spot to benefit the Aliens making it harder for the Agents and not break any rules.

Maybe we should just roll a die and leave it to chance = Roll a D6 - 1-3 Alien beneficial placement, 4-6 Agents benefit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal rule of thumb is to keep the relationship between the alien and the agent intact, if possible. So if the agent is in the upper left hex of his area with the alien to his south-east, I try to position him in the upper left hex from the center hex when the alien moves there.

If that isn't available, I position him in the hex that results in the most alien engagements.

If that doesn't help things out, then I go with the official ruling on how to play aliens when in doubt (section 8.2, page 31 of the core rulebook):

"The artificial intelligence is designed to cover every situation on the battlefield, but, in some instances, two or more options will be available to an alien. ... The alien should behave in the most favorable way for its side and the most detrimental toward the agents."

I like maintaining the agent-to-alien positioning as my default because that way I don't have to run into the quandary of whether I should game the system by placing my agent in a more favorable position for rescue/escape. With similar positioning, sometimes the agent will be in a good spot and sometimes they won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.