Subject: Big fan of the IDW comic. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered that IDW was putting out their own TMNT comic headed my Tom Waltz, Bobby Curnow, and (original creator Kevin Eastman.)

This comic is its own thing in the franchise. It has its own origin story and has no story connection to any other iteration of TMNT.

That being said this is by far my favorite version of the turtles. It takes bits and pieces from the original comics (both the Mirage and Archie series) as well as the movies, tv shows, and anything else you can think of and has combined them into the perfect story.

It is more on the serious end and isn't really like the cartoon, although certain characters from the cartoon are in this comic.

IDW just released a hardback book for $35 that has the first 16 issues in it. Or you can buy the trades for fairly cheap. TMNT Hardback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kosit Phanthanusorn
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. As a casual fan, this is great to know about. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Escoffery
Switzerland
Geneva
Confignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMagus wrote:
this comic.

IDW just released a hardback book for $35 that has the first 16 issues in it. Or you can buy the trades for fairly cheap.

I'm on ir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is like an "Ultimate" take on the franchise and really rather good.

It has a core storyline in the main trades but then there are collections that flesh out or include extra bits for the characters, and featuring other artists (and writers?). That's usually of a high standard too.

While it's a little way into it, The Secret History of the Foot Clan is a good... well, not so much "starting point", but it gives you a heap of the backstory and setup as well as beautiful artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bourassa
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMagus wrote:
I discovered that IDW was putting out their own TMNT comic headed my Tom Waltz, Bobby Curnow, and (original creator Kevin Eastman.)

This comic is its own thing in the franchise. It has its own origin story and has no story connection to any other iteration of TMNT.

That being said this is by far my favorite version of the turtles. It takes bits and pieces from the original comics (both the Mirage and Archie series) as well as the movies, tv shows, and anything else you can think of and has combined them into the perfect story.

It is more on the serious end and isn't really like the cartoon, although certain characters from the cartoon are in this comic.

IDW just released a hardback book for $35 that has the first 16 issues in it. Or you can buy the trades for fairly cheap.

Do you have a link to this comic / book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IDW TMNT Hardback

I wasn't sure how to get the link to show up right but i figured it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:
It is like an "Ultimate" take on the franchise and really rather good.

It has a core story line in the main trades but then there are collections that flesh out or include extra bits for the characters, and featuring other artists (and writers?). That's usually of a high standard too.

While it's a little way into it, The Secret History of the Foot Clan is a good... well, not so much "starting point", but it gives you a heap of the backstory and setup as well as beautiful artwork.

The nice think about the hard back book (and the ones to be released) is that they include the micro series in chronological order.

That's the tricky part about this series is that they have the main comic line that has come out, and hasn't been renumbered, but they always have a 4 issue micro series being printed right along side it that fill in some major plot gaps. Not a big deal compared to super hero comics.

a google search will answer any questions pretty quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
That its based on the IDW series has 80% sold me on this game already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Beschorner
Germany
Unna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret History of the Foot Clan was one of my favourite parts of the IDW series. I just got the workprint edition and reread it a few days ago.

I'll also second getting the recent hardcover collection if you're interested in the IDW reboot though I'm not much of a fan of the Duncan art anymore since the gorgeous stuff Santaluoco and Campbell did for the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speedboat wrote:
Secret History of the Foot Clan was one of my favourite parts of the IDW series. I just got the workprint edition and reread it a few days ago.

I'll also second getting the recent hardcover collection if you're interested in the IDW reboot though I'm not much of a fan of the Duncan art anymore since the gorgeous stuff Santaluoco and Campbell did for the series.

And I respectfully disagree yuk. Santaluoco and Campbell's turtles look way to close to the Nick cartoon for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
That's a fairly recent addition, though. I suspect Nick is pushing the cartoon designs to be used. Sort of how Toho dictates which version of a monster IDW can use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sithborg wrote:
That's a fairly recent addition, though. I suspect Nick is pushing the cartoon designs to be used. Sort of how Toho dictates which version of a monster IDW can use.

That's what bugged me about their style so much, especially Campbell's. I thought that the artists were being pushed by Nick to draw them that way.

I made a post about that on the TMNT Technodrome forumsand Campbell herself responded and said that it was not the case and that the artists on the IDW comic have a decent amount of choice as far as the art goes.

I mean really only those two artists favor that style. Once I realized that it was more an artists choice and not the corporate owners forcing something I was more on with it. And because it didn't last that long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Beschorner
Germany
Unna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMagus wrote:

And I respectfully disagree yuk. Santaluoco and Campbell's turtles look way to close to the Nick cartoon for me.

I remember being really surprised by Campbell's drawings for the Northampton arc. The colours and the setting looked almost Calvin & Hobbes-ish to me and it kinda grew on me because it fit the pacing of that arc. If you look at her deviantart page, you can see that she used the same style for her "fanart" Secret of the Ooze pages, so I don't think she was really forced into that style.

It's just that after seeing her and Santolouco's (just realised I spelled his name completely wrong up there blush ) drawings, Duncan's and especially Kuhn's style just seem too rough for my taste.

I don't really mind the character design of the Nick Turtles, in the beginning I actually quite enjoyed the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Curnow
United States
Berkeley/San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cool to hear you guys talking about this. I joined this forum just about 6 months ago to play some online BSG.

What i've heard so far about the game is pretty exciting. I'm psyched!

-TMNT editor Bobby Curnow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobc358 wrote:
Cool to hear you guys talking about this. I joined this forum just about 6 months ago to play some online BSG.

What i've heard so far about the game is pretty exciting. I'm psyched!

-TMNT editor Bobby Curnow

I love that you're wiling to communicate with fans bobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Sprenger
United States
Collinsville
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't help myself. I just had to own that nice hardcover book. I picked up some of these IDW TMNT comics on Free Comic book day and I really like the art style and the serious story elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the artists on the books since it started have had different styles. Most not like the cartoon at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S
msg tools
Well, I was finally able to pick up #50 this week. Mind is blown. Such an amazing issue. Definitely my favorite version of the Shredder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sithborg wrote:
Well, I was finally able to pick up #50 this week. Mind is blown. Such an amazing issue. Definitely my favorite version of the Shredder.

I wholeheartedly agree. TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo are the only series that buy the individual issues. I just can't wait.

I feel like with the first 50 issues we've covered a lot of the classic TMNT themes. I'm hoping with the next story arcs they will get into some stories that aren't classic turtles. Either way they have done some amazing things with this series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kosit Phanthanusorn
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking at my IDW Ninja Turtle comic book app today. Most, if not all, of their collected volumes are on sale for 50% off! A great way to get started into the comics. I'm up to volume 3, myself (also titled Shadows of the Past, btw).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.